Now ya'll know I can be slow sometimes, right? Well, what was supposed to have been a 30 minute hair style (according to the Youtubers) took me an hour and a half! I didn't get the hang of the knots until I got to the second side of my head. The actual process of starting the knot is much harder than they make it look on YouTube. I actually did two-strand twists like Jenius J, and I learned to wind them tight until they began to knot themselves, or corkscrew like she put it. However, I didn't learn this until 30 minutes in...I was completely frustrated and close to reaching for my rollers!
Here's what I did:
- Co-washed, Detangled, Rinsed
- Applied DevaCare One to the 4 sections (2 on the right, 2 on the left). FYI, I did 5 or 6 knots per section (20ish in total)
- Started with the back, left section. Two-strand twisted, applied Set it Free to the ends, and knotted. Initially I used clips to hold the knots, but I quickly learned that it was an unnecessary step...they hold themselves
- Again, to make the knot, after twisting, begin to roll it really tight at the root, then wind it a bit...the tightly wound hair will make a corkscrew. Use that as a base to wind the rest of the hair around it, with each loop below the next one. The end should be tucked under the last row
- Completed all sections
- Dried over night, or so I thought :)
- Woke up this morning to hair that was 95% dry...everything but my roots were dry. Some knots were completely dry, but others (the fatter ones) weren't even close.
- Take down, carefully and slowly
- Apply Shea Butter to the ends
- Separate gently, and fluff
So was it worth it? Not sure yet. The knots were a bit painful. I was careful how I slept, until I learned that I could lay directly on them without causing them to unravel. I'm sure the actual styling time will decrease once I become an old hat. The results are definitely soft, springy, Shirley Temple curls. I'm curious to see how this will fluff up!
I need to go, but I'll post the results when I get in today.
p.s. We have a Giveaway closing in the next 24 hours!