Adrien, a CurlyNikki reader and frequent contributor, shared this awesome recipe with me. I thought you gals would want to check it out:
Here is a homemade hair scent I came up with for those of us that like our natural hair to smell pretty without the drying effect certain perfumes or sprays can have. It's really simple.
You will need:
- One small cosmetic container with a screw on lid. I found mine at walmart in the "mini's" section.
- Aloe vera gel.
- An oil with a light or no scent (I prefer grapeseed oil).
- Your favorite scented essential oil. (I'm in love with lemon verbena right now!)
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 1 teaspoon of oil in the container. Stir it up well until it becomes a white smooth cream.
- Add about 5 drops of essential oil. It's a lot, but you want it to be very concentrated so that a little goes a long way. If you are using a light scented E.O. use more until it's fairly strong. Mix well.
- Add cap and let sit overnight.
Rub a little between your palms and lightly massage into your hair. I rub some on my twist out before I put my loc soc on for bedtime and in the morning when I shake it out, it smells SOOO good! You can use it as the last touch on a just completed hairstyle, or to freshen up an old style.
You can also use a little behind your ears and wrists like perfume (if you have sensitive skin you may want to test it before applying it directly on your skin first)!