The simplest way to jump start progress in any area of your life, is to find out what’s holding you back and keeping you from seeing things through. Often we’re holding ourselves back, because of a fear or a lingering issue that we just can’t seem to move past.
By way of example: I have a friend (and I hope she doesn’t mind my using her story) who wants to lose weight. She has started over and over again, only to fall short. Many of us have this same issue—but what is odd about it for her, is that she is normally a very decisive person. She sets her mind to something, and accomplishes it without hesitation; and often on a whim. She just has an uncanny self-awareness that allows her to know what’s right for her, and to go for it. So why the block in this one area of her life?
The key to removing the blocks on her heart and mind—and to removing yours--is self-evaluation. You have to ask yourself the hard questions and really get honest about the answers:
1. In what areas of my life do I find that I’m spinning my wheels, but never getting anywhere?
2. What are the given circumstances of this situation? (The things that are out of your control; where you have to change yourself instead)
3. What past fear or hurt still lives in my heart today that is affecting my ability to thrive or to make progress at this thing in particular?
4. How have I been using that fear or hurt as an excuse?
5. What do I need to do to let go of the past?
The answers might come to you in meditation or stillness. They may come to you through goal-setting or action planning. They may come to you in prayer or while on a walk. Maybe you can’t come to the proper conclusions alone—talk to your pastor or a therapist. Do whatever will help you to gain the most clarity. Then, walk freely into your future.