Everyone has his or her own personal preferences when it comes to the quesadilla. What type of tortilla to use, the kind of cheese, the filling components, and the choice of accompaniments are all up for debate. I prefer corn tortillas to flour ones when it comes to this usage because they provide a much crispier texture to the outside. I don’t really discriminate when it comes to the cheese, but the standard Mexican shredded cheese blend from the grocery store works just fine for me. You could stop at just the tortilla stuffed with melted, gooey cheese and find yourself completely satisfied. However, if you go a step further by adding in some combination of meat and/or vegetables, then you have a complete meal! Last but not least, I enjoy a big dollop of sour cream for dipping. This “recipe” is a little more vague because the amounts depend on personal preferences and how much or how little you wish to make. (A good plan ahead tip is that if you do make a lot of the filling, then you can use it to assemble freshly toasted quesadillas later in the week.) Think of it more as an outline for what you could do and then go come up with your own creation.
• Beef chuck fillet
• Black Pepper
• Chile powder
• Garlic powder
• Vegetable oil
• Yellow onion, sliced
• Cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
• Butter or cooking spray
• Sour cream, guacamole, and salsa, optional for serving
1. Season beef with salt, pepper, paprika, chile powder, and garlic powder. Sauté over high heat in a skillet with vegetable oil to desired doneness. Remove and allow to rest. Slice on a bias across the grain (this makes it easier to bite into). Reserve.
2. In the same skillet, sauté each of the vegetables separately with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Reserve.
3. Place a clean skillet over a low flame to assemble the quesadillas. Melt about ½ tablespoon of butter, or spritz with cooking spray, and a place tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle with the desired amount of cheese and let melt. Once cheese has melted and the bottom of the tortilla is nice and toasted, add the rest of the quesadilla filling on one half of the circle. Fold over and press down slightly to make sure everything is in place. Remove and repeat to make remaining quesadillas. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa on the side.