Okay y’all. I didn’t expect to be doing a hair post this week. But, I got such awesome braid-out results from my wash day this weekend, I just had to share!!! This may be my new regimen if if consistently delivers the super soft, light, defined, and shiny results that I got this time!!
But first, let’s talk about the state of my hair going into this. Dry. Crunchy. Undefined. Bushy (the bad kind, not the good kind). So, I knew I needed to do some rehab first. Therefore, I pre-pooed with an old fave combo that I seemed to have forgotten to do for a while (O_o) … Vatika Oil and Aubrey conditioner!! This time, I used Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose (HSR) conditioner as I was in need of some serious moisture versus the protein shot that Aubrey GPB would deliver. I usually mix the oil and conditioner together prior to applying. But, the HSR was an afterthought, so I ended up layering it over the Vatika Oil (I lightly finger detangled and then twisted my hair into 4 sections) and then applying my JBCO/EVOO/EO mix to my scalp.
Looked and felt better IMMEDIATELY.
I donned a plastic cap and my thermal heat turban for about an hour. Then, I left the plastic cap on and did some chores before hitting the shower about 3 hours or so later, I guess.
Now onto the dirt!!
WASHING and CONDITIONING
- Shampooed with DevaCare No Poo. Rinsed.
- Applied Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe Restorative Treatment (Gifted and then purchased. Review coming soon. Preview? LOVE at first sight!!). Smoothed down length of hair and left on for about 5-10 minutes. Rinsed.
- Applied Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (HE HH) to finish detangling, first with fingers, then with the Ouidad Double Detangler. Rinsed.
- Applied Sally’s GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm (I forgot how good this stuff is to my hair!!).
- Donned plastic cap and thermal heat turban for about 30 minutes.
- Cooled (10-15 min) and sealed with diluted HE HH.
- Next up, styling. So, I was perusing YouTube videos over the weekend and came across this one about an amazing soft hold braid-out with aloe vera gel.
- Sectioned hair into four and worked section by section.
- Applied about a marble-sized amount of Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner, smoothing and finger combing it through the length of hair.
- Smoothed about a marble-sized amount of Curl Prep Sweet Buttah (gifted) down section of hair.
- Smoothed and finger-combed a marble-sized amount (or maybe even a little more) Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel down the section, ensuring hair coated (the gel seemed to add slip and aid detangling too!).
- Placed front two sections of hair in 2 braids on each side and back section in 3 braids on each side for a total of 10 braids.
- Lightly applied a little virgin coconut oil (VCO) to ends (last 3-4 inches) and rolled on small grey perm rods covered in end paper (I set my ends not only to curl them, but to keep them smooth, discourage knots, and to “lock in” the moisture).
I tied my head down with a hair net to allow air flow, then hit the sack on an EboniCurls satin pillowcase. But, with only 5 hours and an a.m. workout, my hair did not dry in time for work on Monday morning. So, I just removed the rollers, pulled the braids into a low ponytail, and threw on a headband to get out the door. I didn’t release my hair from the braids until Tuesday morning. But it was worth the wait!
Y’all … VCD was NOT kidding!!!! My hair was sooooo soft and silky!! I was suffering from some serious Hands-in-Hair (HIH) Syndrome!! I told at least three friends touch it, so that they could marvel over how soft it was !! LOL!!! So yeah, this AVG combo looks like a keeper (I think that DC might have had something to do with it too). Now, how it’ll hold up overnight and after daily, sweaty a.m. workout? That remains to be seen. But, you know, I’m not expecting miracles. I may be in bun by the end of day 2. But, as long as it is still soft and moisturized, that’s okay with me!