Flaxseed hair gel is a natural, inexpensive hair product particularly suited for curly or wavy hair. It defines and moisturizes curly hair without creating stiffness or crunchiness. Many additional ingredients can be added to homemade flaxseed gel to customize it for the particular needs of your hair. The following process takes approximately 7 minutes.
- Flax seeds
- Soak the flaxseeds overnight. This increases gel yield, increases ease of straining, and reduces cooking time.
- Combine the flaxseeds and water in a pan over high heat, stirring occasionally
- Stir gently and constantly when the mixture starts to boil. Reduce the heat to medium when the mixture’s consistency turns into a thin, foamy jelly.
- When the seeds remain suspended in the jelly instead of sinking to the bottom of the pan, turn off the heat and drain the mixture through the strainer into the bowl. Note: Rinse the pot immediately, as cleaning it later will be difficult if you don’t do this.
- Whisk the mixture to combine ingredients and break up any clumps. The gel should be about the consistency of egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the container. Your gel is ready to use. Store in the refrigerator for maximum shelf life.