You will need the following:
-.2 oz Aloe Butter
-.2 oz Babassu Oil
-.2 oz Shea Butter
-.3 oz Cocoa Butter
-.2 oz Emulsifying Wax (binds water and oil)
-.2 oz Vegetable Glycerin
-.2 oz Vitamin E
- 2.4 oz Distilled Water
(CamdenGrey has a great variety of oils, waxes and butters)
(adapted from LuminousVegans)
- Sterilize all lotion making equipment (spoons, glass cups/jars, lids, etc) before hand. This just means cleaning them thoroughly and then boiling them in hot water and letting them dry.
- Measure out the solids in a glass pyrex cup and heat until liquified. I used a double boiler which is just fancy talk for immersing the cup in a pot of water on the stove at low heat. Microwaving the solids is fine too.
- Measure out the liquid oils in another cup.
- Add the liquified solids to the liquid oils.
- Add the distilled water and blend everything together using an immersion blender.
- Add the extra stuff and blend until everything is well mixed. It should be white, but still pretty liquidy at this point.
- Pour into jar and put on lid.
- Let set overnight before slathering it on.
**I infused my water with lavender petals and hibiscus powder. Optional, you don't have to.*
*edited to add*
Check out Tonya's article that discusses safely handling and preserving homemade natural hair products!