Ish has taken a serious turn for the surreal in my neighborhood. The national media is posted up right next to stores and restaurants I’ve patronized all of my life. And after Obama spoke on it, what’s really left to say? The fact of the matter is, we don’t have facts. And although we still have more questions than answers, I do know that:
(1) Rioting is bad
(2) Rioting brought the attention of the national media to Ferguson, Missouri. #Duality
Fun fact- Ferguson is a predominately Black suburb of St. Louis. A city that is well documented for being one of the most segregated in America.
(3) It’s amateur hour for the St. Louis County Police- they need more training and better leadership
(4) They got the message tho- the police presence was conspicuously absent today (we won't know if this will subsist until night-fall)
(5) Given what we think we know, it’s abundantly clear that there needs to be a strong justification for the violence used against Michael Brown. I’m quite skeptical that one exists.
(6) This is bigger than Ferguson, MO. This is about defending our civil rights.
I continue to pray for Michael Brown’s family, for my city and for Black boys and men everywhere. I look forward to the ‘open and transparent judicial process’. #Accountability
Peep the view from my neighborhood, at the corner of West Florissant and Ground Zero.
Click for more pics!>>>
Th number one, head-demonstrator-in-charge, Sidney! He had a million chants and never let the crowd go quiet, not once. He's out here to show the world that 'Black men are to be taken seriously' and that their 'lives are to be respected'. #ResponsibleBehavior
#TeamNatural gettin' it!
p.s. elsewhere in Ferguson, at my mom's-
EDITED to add more pics
And then night fell and 1000 people showed up...
And as MSNBC's Chris Hayes said, the vibe is like 'a cross between New Years Eve and Occupy Wallstreet'. There were kiddos, dogs and BBQ and just, well, community. #Ferguson
and drove the 5 blocks a few times #ISatMyAssOnTheRoofOfTheCarToo #IWasScaredTho #TurnUpForJustice