by Kanisha Parks of BlackNaps.org
Not only is this style fairly easy to execute (depending on your routine) but it showcases the beauty of your natural curl pattern and can be modified into other styles as well. When wearing wash and go’s as an easy style for busy routines and active lifestyles, it can be helpful to know how to keep this style up for 5-7 days until wash day comes around again. Here are some tips to help guide you:
1. Moisture is key. When wearing a wash and go, it’s important to moisturize your hair daily. This step will be different for every head of hair, but spritzing with water and applying a leave-in conditioner or oil such as coconut oil will certainly add and keep moisture in your hair. If you want to have more elongated curls, try not to over-wet the hair during this step, as this will lead to reversion.
2. Have a consistent night routine. For this step, many naturals employ the use of the “Pineapple” method for this step (throwing the hair up into a loose pony at the top of your head in order to provide stretch), just as The London Curls does in the following video.You can also do a “modified” Pineapple method by doing a loose low pony or even two or three ponytails: switch up the method however you need in order to fit your hair texture/length. You can also band the hair in order to stretch it. Just remember to utilize your satin scarf and/or pillowcase to keep your curls from drying out or frizzing.
3. Activate those curls! When you take your hair down in the morning, it may be a little stubborn. Using a curl activator such as Cantu For Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream like Hair Mary does in the video below will help activate your curls by defining them and adding moisture and shine.
4. Don’t disturb the curl. Throughout the day, it will be tempting to play with your curls but if you want your style to last all week, do your best to refrain! Playing in your hair too much will definitely cause the curls to frizz up.
5. Implement another style. If push comes to shove, you can always extend the life of your wash and go up by adding an accessory, doing an updo, or another hairstyle. Here are five hairstyles from Mo Knows Hair to help you do just that: