Looking for treatments to add volume to your natural hair? Incorporate these easy, DIY masks below to achieve disrespectfully huge results!
As a natural you have probably heard a lot about henna and its ability to thicken the hair. Many women have avoided trying henna because of the rumors of it being time consuming and messy. However there is a way to get the benefits of henna without all the added drama by doing a henna gloss. The gloss combines the benefits of henna whilst the conditioner and oils moisturize the hair to prevent dryness and aid in rinsing.
DIY Henna Gloss
- Add warm water to 100g of henna powder slowly whilst mixing until it forms a paste that is still thick in consistency
- Set the paste aside in a warm place for 6 hours
- Add a cup of conditioner to your paste and mix it thoroughly
- Apply it to sections of your hair from root to tip
- Cover with a shower cap and allow it to sit for as long as you wish
- Rinse the gloss and style as usual
Castor oil has been raved about for a while in the natural hair community for its ability to help with the regrowth of hair. Women who once had bald spots and thin edges were able to fill in those areas in a matter of months. Also scalp massages have also been proven to stimulate the scalp follicles and cause hair to grow. Whilst your fine hair may not be due to breakage every strand counts and you will want to keep as many of them on your head as possible.
DIY Hot Castor Oil Massage
- Heat half a cup of castor oil
- Transfer it to an applicator bottle
- Apply the oil to your scalp
- Massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers
- Repeat every other day to see results
Hair is made out of keratin which is a protein, and over time that protein can decrease due to damage to the hair.
Gelatin contains a lot of keratin so it can be used to help to fill those gaps in the hair and coat it temporarily, giving it the appearance of being thicker.
DIY Gelatin Hair Mask
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin to 1 cup of warm water
- Mix until it is fully dissolved
- Apply the mix to freshly washed hair
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse and style as usual
Avocados are one of the few fruits that contain oils that have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft. This helps to moisturize the hair from the inside out making it strong. The hope is that with continuous use your hair will become stronger, there will be less shedding and breakage and your hair will appear thicker overall.
DIY Avocado Mask
- Peel and mash one avocado
- Smear it over freshly cleansed hair ensuring that it is evenly distributed
- Wait 30 minutes
- Rinse your hair and style it as usual
- Heat a ½ cup of avocado oil
- Pour it over your hair
- Massage the scalp
- Rinse the oils and cleanse the hair then style as usual
What's your favorite mask to add volume to your natural hair?