Ayurvedic medicine, also known as Ayurveda, is one of the oldest holistic healing systems that originated thousands of years ago in India. It believes that health and wellness are connected and dependent on the balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Ayurveda is India’s primary healthcare system, even today, and more than 90% of the continent’s population uses some form of Ayurvedic therapy. In the United States it has more of a complementary healthcare option when many Americans employing Ayurvedic elements like meditation and cleansing therapies for the body as a whole.
Ayurveda means “the knowledge of long life” and addresses the well-being of the entire body both spiritually and physically. One of the amazing benefits of this holistic healing system is the abundance of Ayurvedic powders that can be incorporated into our healthy hair care system that many curlies have embraced. Ayurvedic herbs or powders have a wealth of benefits and many are drawn to them for natural remedies to everyday ailments. Many curlies are looking for natural, alternatives coloring to care for and grow their tresses, so the therapeutic properties have become popular again. Many have heard of henna, amla, or marshmallow root, but there is an array of herbs that aid in the health of our bodies. One becoming a favorite would be the Bhringaraj herb.
Benefits of Bhringaraj Powder
Bhringaraj, an Ayurvedic herb found throughout India, is also known as Eclipta alba. Bhringaraj is considered a rasayana or a substance that rejuvenates. It has anti-inflammatory properties, healing properties, and may help to enhance and improve vision and sense of hearing. Bhringaraj can be used in a powder form or as an oil; it is all dependent upon your preference and intended usage.
3 Benefits for hair
- Mask graying– For curlies looking to combat the gray, this powder is a useful tool. Sometimes added to indigo and hemp to make natural hair dyes.
- Hair growth- Bhringaraj powder is considered the best Ayurvedic remedy for hair loss. This powder is great for stimulating growth if you have a medical condition, stress, or filling out a receding hairline. Most use it in this capacity as an oil to massage in the affected areas either as a pretreatment before a shampoo or a nightly ritual.
- Reliever of scalp infections- Bhringaraj powder can also be used as a scalp exfoliator and the anti-inflammatory properties make it great for soothing inflamed scalps and keeping scalp infections at bay. Great at reducing problematic dandruff.
- 2 heaping tbsp. Bhringaraj powder
- Water (just enough to mix into a thick paste)
- 1 tsp. of sulfur powder
Bhringaraj Scalp Stimulator
- 2 tbsp. Bhringaraj powder
- Enough yogurt to mix evenly with powder