-Were you a long term or short term transitioner, and why?
I plan to be a long term transitioner, minimum 2yrs. My goal is to achieve health and length simultaneously and I’m already 5 months in with 3 inches of new growth.
-When did you BC? What was your initial reaction to your natural hair?
I don’t have any plans to big chop, I’m just going to trim my ends little by little until all of my relaxed hair is gone.
-What was your transition routine? ( products included)
- Shampoo- Carol’s Daughter Tui Shampoo
- Clarify- AVC Rinse or Shikakai Powder
- Co-wash- Suave Tropical Coconut, Organix Mandarin Olive Conditioners
- DC-Pantene R/N Hair Mask
- Leave in- Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Oyin Honey Hemp
- Oil rinses- coconut, grape seed, avocado, jb castor oils, CD lisa hair elixir, EVOO
- Moisturizer- Qhemet Biologics Amla/Olive heavy cream, Oyin Whipped pudding
- Spritzes – karkady replenish QB, Greg Juice, (my mix) rosewater, veggie glycerin, water
- Protein Treatment- 1egg, mayo, conditioner, oils
- Tools- deman, widetooth comb, applicator brush, ouchless hair bands, headbands, pins, plastic caps, hooded dryer
* I don’t use all these products at the same time I switch them up every couple weeks*
-What was your staple hairstyle during transitioning?
Twist-n-Curls/ Spiral sets, it is just easier with spirals they spring back to life easier and I think they frame my face well.
-How did you moisturize your hair to prevent breakage at the new growth line?
Two products, and one oil: Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, and Coconut Oil
-Why did you decide to go natural?
I was doing a home relaxer like I’ve done so many other times and apparently I didn’t rinse all of it out in the temple and fringe areas. The result was baldness! and like so many other people, I wasn’t happy at how thin and fragile it was and how I wasn’t able to retain any length. It’s now growing healthier and stronger than ever.
Hair loss also caused me to go natural and I’ve never regretted the decision. I’m not certain if that is your natural curl or not as it looks roller set/straightened. This could indeed be your natural curl, in which case please excuse my ignorance. If it is not your natural curl, I’d probably just encourage you to try rocking that look as it will be kinder to your hair