Meet Ayanah…self proclaimed 4a diva with a routine designed and balanced for maximum length retention.
CN: How long have you been natural? Were you a long-term transitioner?
A: 5 years. I was a long term transitioner. I had BSL relaxed hair that I cut to my shoulders and gradually trimmed every month until all the relaxed ends were gone. I did a lot of pony tails and a few flat iron styles during my transition. At the time, I did not go natural to rock a cute fro– I went natural so my straight hair would look fuller. As I grew my hair out, I began to appreciate the natural curl pattern and began to let the flatiron go.
CN: What is your regimen?
A: Once or twice a week:
- Prepoo over night with Aussie Moist mixed with Honey and EVOO.
- Condition with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship in 4 sections.
- Rinse with ACV and apply an oil mix (Castor Oil, Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil) to my scalp and Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship OR LustraSilk Shea Butter Cholestrol to my hair.
- Then, either I’ll twist it into about 8 twists while in the shower for a twist out OR brush back into a ponytail and twist the ends.
Every Two Weeks:
- Protein treatment for an hour before I do the above. I mix Mane & Tail with One Egg and my oil mix
- Apply to my hair and let sit for about an hour. I try to apply my oil mix to my scalp every other day.
CN: What’s the one thing you’d tell a newbie to help her on her journey?
A: Listen to your hair! Condition, Condition, Condition! Never forget to give your hair a break from constant styling. Sometimes it just needs to be left ALONE!
CN: What’s your secret to length retention?
CN: What do you do to your hair at night to preserve your curls?
A: If I’m wearing a twist out for the week I sleep with my hair in a high ponytail i.e. a pineapple. Cover with a bonnet and go to bed 🙂
A: It contains 2 parts Jamaican Black Castor Oil, 1 part Coconut oil and 1 part Avocado Oil.
A: I have options! Straight! Curly! Fro! Twist Out! Braid Out! BIG HAIR!!!! I love being different and get really bored with the same ol’ wash and set or blow dry and flat iron. I love having more styling options as well as a HEALTHY, CHEMICAL FREE head of hair. Although, I am contemplating color 🙂
Submit your CurlyNikki Spotlight today!