I recently did a sister twist/cornrow style using Bee Mine Products. The products I used for this style were: Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer, Bee Hold Curly Butter & Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz which worked amazing! You can view the full review here.
This style was inspired by Jill Scott & Tia of Her Best Hair.
- Using the end of a metail rat tail comb, part about half of the hair, tie the other half off and start cornrowing that side. You can do whatever design you would like. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and Curly Butter on each cornrow. I made the cornrows very loose for the protective styling challenge. If you do not know how to cornrow, please visit this website: Cornrows.co.uk This is the website that taught me how to cornrow.
- Once you get to the end of your cornrow, add a little more product to the remaining hair, add the hair together so instead of 3 sections you will have two. Start twisting one section clockwise, and the other counter clockwise. This is the two strand sister twist method. Keep twisting the pieces in different directions while twisting around each other.
- Once that side is all complete with cornrows going into sister twists, start parting medium sized boxes, add product, and do the sister twist method. You want your thumbs and pointer fingers holding on to each section close to the scalp. Your twist is going to unravel some, so you want to twist it close to the scalp, however, you don’t want to tug on the scalp. Once you get to the end of each twist, you can start doing a regular two strand twist, then roll the ends with your fingers.
- You will do this to the entire head of hair until you are finished.
Tip: This took me about 3 hours so make sure you take a break and have toys, snacks, and books on hand for your little one. Talk to your child during this time, have fun, be silly! Sprout and Noggin are great channels for the little ones. You can even do half one day, and half the next.
Note: Some people call these rope twists, but the video that taught me to do the style over a year ago called them sister twists, so I stick with that.
How we have been maintaining this style:
- Spray hair each morning with Bee Mine Juicy Spirtz
- Moisturize ends each night with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer (her ends have felt amazing!)
- Cover hair each night with satin bonnet