What’s Your Trademark?

By January 27th, 202127 Comments

What's Your Trademark?
We’re all familiar with the ‘it’s just hair’ mantra, and the old adage ‘it’s what inside that counts’. But let’s be real… there’s definitely something about your appearance, what you present to the world (hair or otherwise) that has become a part of your identity. Something that you adore, that you’ve embraced, something that you take pride in, that’s special, that makes you happy to be, YOU!

For Jazrin, the long term transitioner in the previous post, it’s her long hair and side burns. For me, growing up, I was the skinny girl with long hair. I hated the skinny part then… hated it with a passion, but appreciate it now! Today, I’m known by my more straight laced colleagues as the girl with the crazy big hair and fun fashion sense. Works for me 🙂

Besides your glowing personality and giving spirit, what other attributes make up your identity?

Your identity grows and changes with you. Was it hard for you to let go of some old aspects and embrace the new (long, flowing straight hair becomes short and coily)? How did you cope?

Dish!

• BargainClipper says:

I asked my DH "What's my trademark?" and he said, "YouTube" and I LOL'd. Unfortunately, not everyone knows that I'm on YouTube (I like for them to stumble across me and be surprised that they see someone they know on the wonderful world wide Web. If they ask me, I'll say, "Yeah, it's me"). I'm curious what others will have to say my trademark is, so I'm going to comment more on this later…

My trademark is my hair and earrings. No matter if I was relaxed or natural, my hair was always pulled back into a classic bun. And earrings, I love big colorful earrings!!! I have over 100, and counting!!!1

• Christopher "Domian Transfer" Hofman says:

Interesting post!

It´s funny how domains are not seen as trademarks, but when there is a
    domain dispute, it´s ALWAYS about a trademark infringement.
    I know, domains are not trademarks, however it´s time that trademark
    lawyers take them seriously, and include them in their brand
    protection recommendations.

• keishabradford2006 says:

My trademark is my smile,I always keep my lip gloss "poppin". You won't catch me without my ear rings and rings. My hair styles right now are twists and bantu knot outs. I am known as the girl with the big butt and legs.

My trademarks were hands down my diffrent hair style's when I was relaxed, but now that I'm natural they have slowed down a bit but only because I'm figuring out what looks good and what doesn't: I'll soon be back on the fast track to diffrent "natural" styles!

Also I'm known for my "tiny" nose rings and left cheek dimple(my daughter has the same one on the same side so cute! 🙂

• StaceyMarie says:

My trademarks are my sense of style (I never wear all neutrals and I'm known for mixing high and low-end designers w/designer thrift store pieces) and depending on the season, twists/updos in the fall/winter and a puff/fro/twistout during the spring/summer.

I used to be the skinny, light-skinned girl w/the fat cheeks. Now, I'm the skinny girl w/the big HAIR!

• shamigreen says:

My trademarks are my big hair & my outrageous makeup.

Even when I was relaxed I used to set my hair on jumbo sized rollers to pump up the volume (LOL). To me there's just something sexy about big hair. And as though being a product junkie wasn't enough, I'm also a makeup junkie (SMH)… I love wild & crazy eyeshadow colors that most people wouldn't wear in the daytime (or maybe at all). Today I'm rocking a silver & grape eyeshadow combo w/ purple, glitter eyeliner 🙂

• CocoEuro says:

My chocolate complexion!!! I used to get teased all the time!! Name calling such as "blacky" "tar"!! Whatever! My mother instilled in me that yes, I was dark skinned and beautiful!!! I used to get offended when I was described as the dark skinned girl but not anymore, that's who I am, there is nothing wrong with it!!

My gap, which I hated as a kid, but truly love now that I'm old enough to appreciate it. Also, I have been told numerous times that I have a very sexy walk! 😉

• books says:

I used to think it was my dreads. I've had dreads for nine years, so they were pretty long. Last year I cut to about chin length and I was shocked that so many of my friends did not notice. I've also recently combed them all out (took me a month of patience) and i'm surprised that so many people haven't really noticed. People who have only seen me with dreads have not noticed that i don't have them anymore! So who knows what my trademark is??

• Meryl Amadea says:

I've been told I look young and have beautiful skin, which is a huge blessing.

My identity is best characterized by my smile. I only realized this after having recieved compliments on it, consistently, over a number a years, particularly one from a teacher who was coaching me in a speaking competition. I have neither a gap, nor perfect teeth. Just a big, genuine smile. And I love it!

Also, on the verge of my 31st birthday, I can honestly say I feel like I am getting to know who I am, that I am unapologetic about being me and that I am trying to embrace this self-discovery journey; curls, coils and all.

• TiAnna Mae says:

I'm most known for my young looking face, and my fashion forward versatility from hair to clothes.

• JustTrena says:

My earrings and bracelets! I always get compliments about the mix of costume/real jewelry I wear.

I also have this invisible sign on my forehead that everyone, except me, sees that says, “Please trust me and tell me all your secrets/problems!” lol I think that may be attributed to my smile (I'm told) although I don’t really see anything special about it too much!

• Lori says:

While I’ve always worn my hair straight/relaxed, the change to natural wasn’t hard at all. I’ve worn my relaxed hair very, very short…maybe shorter than my hair was when I did the BC. So, short hair wasn’t a huge change for me.

The awkward moment in my natural hair journey came when my natural curls began to grow and I was wearing a TWA, which WAS new (short & curly vs. short & straight). Overall, I thought the look was cute, but there were days when I felt ugly, like my face was too fat for such a round silhouette (my face was and still is chubby, got some lbs. to lose) and I felt uncomfortable, but I never thought about getting a relaxer again.

Attitude-wise I had already moved into the realm of “I don’t care what anybody thinks about me,” prior to my decision to go natural…just a result of some things happening at work and at home, so worrying about what anyone thought of my new hair wasn’t really an issue either. I wasn’t defensive, I simply didn’t care and I still don’t. People who are acquainted with me might disagree and say that my hair and attitude changed at the same time…that the natural hair made me more aggressive, more confident. But only I know what was going on inside my head and the confidence came first…then the chop. Haven’t looked back since.

• mangomadness says:

My trademarks are my hair, clothes and personality. I wear my hair in sculptural updos and I alter/make/thrift most of my clothing. People like my hair, fashion sense and the fact that I'm very open-mined, opinonated, smart and friendly. I am quite happy with the person I am while still striving to improve.

• Southernbellebronxtale says:

my gap tooth smile

my trademark? my thin body frame and huge head of curls.

• Naptural_ray1 says:

My trademark is probably my height..im only 4'11 but have a complex and an attitude as if im 6ft lol..also my earring!! I love earring and is known the rock the biggest and loudest earring around

• AusetAbena says:

My trademark might very well be my gap, my natural hair, and my skinny physique.

• Shakirah says:

I guess my trademark would be my green/ hazel eyes but i don't have any control over that so i don't know if that counts lol. I've been doing all kinds of different things with my hair since I was old enough to style it myself soooo…yeah. And my style of dress changes almost as often as my hair.

• Ms.Fenty says:

Right now, I'm just really….subdued, lol. I almost always wear cardigans and flats (the preppy girl from the hood look) and my hair is always styled and controlled. I'm transitioning right now (9 months in), so when my hair gets big or just crazy looking I just put it in a bun to tame it. I think people around me are going to pee their pants when I finally BC and let my coils loose.

• karynrose says:

big hair, middle part, and my style is usually punky brooster chic. for the past year or so i've been the girl with the big hair, pencil skirt, and cool shoes!

• Unknown says:

My trademark has got to be my heels! I wear them everyday, even on casual Fridays! If I come to work dressed down (tennis shoes, t-shirt, hoodie, etc…) everyone is like "what's wrong with you?" lol

As far as my hair – I don't know. Right now, it's headband city, so I guess I have't gotten creative enough with it yet.

Me being 19, I don't know my identity just yet. I feel that i'm just going through stages and i'm just at the beginning of finding myself. But, I do eventually want my hair and my clothes to be my trademark because its apart of me that I want the world to know about.

• Franki says:

In terms of looks, my scarves/headbands are definitely my trademark. My edges always frizz up something fierce, and what started as a way to keep the halo frizz down has become a style statement all its own.

• The Retro Natural says:

My vintage inspired hair do's seem to be my trademark now..before it was the big curly hair and now that it's tamed in a pinned up style and also now that I wear red lipstick, it's either "the janelle monae look" or "the billie holiday girl" lol.. I'll take it. =)