Evelyn of Naturallycurly writes:
January 17, 2011 was my afro’s first birthday, folks! To celebrate, I made a video to explain why I went natural and why I make natural hair YouTube videos. I also feel it’s not enough to simply go natural. You’ve got to pay attention to your hair and learn something! Below is a list of things I learned my first year natural.
1. I need a “detangling my hair” playlist. Musiq Soulchild just seems to make the comb glide through my hair, and it seems like my coils like Bilal better than any conditioner.
2. Aloe vera does nothing to my hair that water can’t as a spritz. But it is good to mix with leave-in conditioner and a bit of oil. When I want to stretch my hair just for the purpose of pinning it up, that mixture works great on twists. Mmm, fluffy.
3. I have relatively thin and fine hair, naturally. Thin, as in the number of hairs on my head is less than average and fine, as in the diameter or width of a strand of hair is smaller than average.
4. Because of #3, I CAN’T rock mini twists. It just can’t be done.
5. Being natural taught me to love myself, so #4 doesn’t phase me; I can move on to different protective styles.
6. Oyin handmade is one of the most amazing hair care companies out there. So is Kinky Curly.
WHAT DID YOU LEARN YOUR FIRST YEAR NATURAL?