The most challenging aspect of curly hair is detangling it. This next generation tool is designed to do all the work in a fraction of the time and without the ripping or tugging caused by a regular comb.
For years Ouidad had used her fingers to start the detangling process. She was inspired to create a tool that would do the work with more ease and less ripping and pulling. Ouidad began by taking 2 regular combs and gluing them together with a space in between. She experimented with different sizes, shapes, weights and even the length of the teeth until she had a tool that was perfect for curly hair.
HOW IT WORKS
The primary feature of the tool is the spaced double rows of teeth. The first row is designed to start the detangling process by eliminating difficult knots. The second row of teeth prevents curls from springing back and re-tangling. The length of the teeth is also a key design element to allow the comb to reach through curly hair that is often dense. The design also allows the tool to detangle with fewer strokes encouraging curls to stay together and remain defined instead of fanning out and inviting frizz.
- Wider than a regular wide tooth comb to better start the detangling process for curly hair
- The space or distance between teeth is the right width to get rid of knots for all types of curly hair
- Length of the teeth is important since curly hair is so fine yet so dense, so they need to be long enough to handle the density of hair.
- The gap between the teeth is essential – the first row of teeth start the detangling process and does the more challenging portion of untangling any knots. The second row of teeth prevents curls from springing back and re-tangling.
- Rounded tips on the teeth so soft to the scalp
- Ergonomic fit to the hand
- Performs like stylist fingers working the tangles out of the hair
- Detangles all types of curly and wavy hair
- Detangling curls with a lesser number combing strokes means that curls stay together and defined, instead of fanning out and inviting frizz.
- Does not rip hair or pull hair like other combs and brushed can.
- Prepares curly hair by is ready to be styled, cut, washed, conditioned, etc.
- The heft or weight helps it work through the hair more easily. Normal combs require you to put tension and pull which can damage the hair and hurt when hair is pulled out at the root.
- Provides time savings – hair can be detangled and prepped more quickly and more efficiently
HOW TO USE IT
The best time to use the double tooth comb is after shower to detangle.
It can also be used in the shower to help detangle during and after the conditioning process.
And depending on the curliness of the hair it can be used to detangle when the hair is dry. Occasions that you would detangle dry hair is potentially before you take a shower or before a treatment or process is applied to the hair. Using before the shower will help your hair have less stress during the shampoo process since it has already been detangled. Using it on dry hair also depend on the curliness of hair.