Janetta of birdiztheword writes;
I graduate in like 2 weeks! OMG! I want my Inbetweeny Fro to be the most fabulous it has ever been since the chop! No joke, my hair has to be F-L-Y. I’m positive it’s going to feel like Satan’s armpits outside so I need something that will hold up to the heat (at least until after post-ceremony pics are taken). Did I mention how glad I am the ceremony is INDOORS? [my fro goes out to all of you curlies that have to sit outside =( ] I’m thinking something stretched and luscious! Graduation caps are fugly as it is and I feel like I can subtract some of the ugly if my hair looks amazing, lol. Not to mention all of the photo proof! I don’t want one of those “What the hell was I thinking?!” moments afterwards. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions. Any Ideas?!!
Jamila of College Curlies responds;
I will definitely be wearing my hair in a curly style! I’ve only straightened my hair three times, all of which I felt out of sorts and (no diss to my straight girls out there)…regular. Here are some options for graduation pics and for the big day:
- Cap in hand: If you want to rock the curly style and are afraid of cap head, have the photographer take pictures of you holding your cap in your hands (as opposed to actually on your head). This might not be the most desirable option, but in 20 years I’d rather look back and see the person I was at the time, than risk damaging my hair and not feeling like myself!
- Twist it up: You can certainly find a protective style a few days before photo time that is easy to maintain and small enough to fit under the cap, like these curlies did here and here. You could try curly twists or mini twists, which can be styled all kinds of ways throughout the week.
- Rod/Flexi-Rod Set: This will create small tight curls that will last for a few days. If you have thick hair, it might help with consistency and make your curls smaller and easier to manage.
- Low Puff: Depending on how long your hair is, you could pull it back into a low puff so that it sits right under your cap.
- Accessorize! Bring a few headbands, flowers, and bobby pins in case your hair gets fussed up during the photo session, or under the cap during the ceremony. Always good to have these on deck!
I did a combo of flat twists on top, and regular twists down the length of it. My cap fit perfectly and I didn't have hat hair!
I dont know about a braid out. Think of the balance on your head, a cap that will pull and flatten the top, and then a whole bunch of crazy coming out from underneath.
Just think about it! You should get your cap a few days before the ceremony, so try it out.
A braid out? For your graduation? You can't be serious.
Thanks so much for everyones input!! Graduation is…. FRIDAY!! *screams* I think I've decided on a braid out and a side part! *crosses fingers*
Just do a low puff. The wild "out" big hair things are for another time. It's time to look neat. I can bet you you won't regret wearing something tame and convservative when you look back at your pictures.
My first undergrad graduation was the week after my big chop, so no prob. The cap perfectly suited my taperered crop. For graduate school (4 years and shoulder length head of hair later) I did a protective style that would fit under the cap on damp hair in the morning. It was able to dry throughout the long ceremony. I took it down right after we walked the stage. I had a huge curly 'fro. The pics came out great.
I graduate May 14th too!!! I am so worried about my hair. It is indoors but its been a monsoon here in Ohio humidity will be in full effect. I want to straighten it but it will go to hell as soon as I step outside (where the family will want to take impromtu pics:(…what to do????
Ladies keep posting whatever your final decision is so I can get ideas 🙂
I graduate on May 21st and I have no idea what I want to do with my hair. My mom wants me to flat iron it but I kind of want to do a flexi-rod set. We'll see what happens.
yay! I need to figure out my hairstyle for pics next week!
Shout out to all the May 14th graduates! I'm one of them! hehe…we graduate outside at 9am, so it's definitely gonna feel like the gates of hell are open! Goodness! I'm thinking about doing some sort of flat twist and two strand twist combination style.
I graduate on the 20th in TEXAS. It was 99 degrees yesterday so…yeah. I'm not looking forward to any outdoor activity.
I tried on my graduation cap with my fro and it popped off lol! I will probably do a protective style so that my cap doesn't go flying off during the ceremony.
I graduate on May 14th too! However, I've decided to wear my hair braided in wet & Wavey hair. Also, Congratulations on your achievment!!!
I'm thinking of creating a side part, flat twisting my hair the night before and rolling the ends with small rollers. Usually when I take this out I get a Corinne Bailey Rae look that I think will look nice with my cap on. I graduate on May 14th. I can't wait!
My hair is still a twa and I didn't want to run the risk of my hair not acting right on the day so I braided my hair in big single braids and had my friend cut it into a bob. I graduate from undergrad on Saturday and so far this hairstyle looks nice with my cap and gown.