You truly are what you eat. I’m a chocolate lover and unfortunately indulging in my favorite dark chocolate treat which is typically followed by ice cream, candy or some other sweet loaded with refined sugar, always leads to my skin breaking out and my energy level at zero. When I’m not treating my body right through a healthy diet and exercise I notice the difference in the health of my skin and hair.
You can use the best natural and organic products on the market to cover up your beauty blunders but it all boils down to what’s going on internally that will have the biggest impact on the outside.
Check out my list of the top 5 foods that you should begin to incorporate into your diet for healthy skin and hair.
- Dark Leafy Vegetables – Turn up the heat on kale, spinach, collards and broccoli packed full of vitamins A and C
- Omega-3s – Load up on wild Alaskan Salmon (safer from mercury poisoning), nuts, chia seeds and walnuts that help to keep skin hydrated and glowing.
- Anti-oxidants – Fight free radicals and aging with natural anti-oxidants like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and mangoes.
- Natural Oils – Olive oil and coconut oil provide healthy fats for the body internally as well as the skin and the hair. Cook your favorite foods in them or sprinkle them on salads.
- Eggs – Eggs are full of healthy protein and biotin, a B vitamin that promotes healthy hair growth.
Sherrell Dorsey is a natural beauty expert, writer, speaker and advocate of health, wellness and sustainability in communities of color. In addition to creating OrganicBeautyVixen.com, Sherrell writes beauty articles for Tyra Banks’s beauty and fashion site TypeF.com, Jones Magazine, MySalonScoop.com and Posh Beauty. Follow Sherrell on twitter at www.twitter.com/organicvixen and connect with her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/