We know what the media says, that our kids our fat and we aren’t any better. Diabetes, obesity and our overall health are increasingly getting worse in this country. So let’s stand up to the statistics and work on living healthier, better and stronger lives for ourselves and for our children.
Whether your child is a little on the pudgy side or you simply want to instill healthy values into their lives, here’s a few fun activities that will get your family active while also encouraging strong bonds.
1. Trampoline – It may be a lot of fun reaching for the stars on the trampoline but it’s also a hidden workout targeting your abs, buns, thighs and hips. Not to mention, you’ll get a kick out of bouncing each other around.
2. Tennis – I never did learn to play tennis but I sure have it on my bucket-list of things to try before I leave this earth. Take tennis or any other athletics that you never got to try and embark upon it with your kids. Tennis is fun, competitive and gets you moving.
3. Zumba Class – It’s not just for middle-aged women looking for a great time and some aerobics. Zumba combines Latin influence with dance, exercise and a whole lotta fun. Let the kiddies join in and sign up for a class one to two times per week for fun exercise that will allow you to dance your butt off.
4. Michael Jackson Experience on Wii – I live for the MJ experience on wii. I recently got to experience one of my favorite stars of all time by dancing with him on the TV screen and jamming with my friends. This is one investment in a video game that I agree with. Sweat until you drop with your little one’s and the king of pop.
5. Twister – Kick it back old school with the original yoga for kids. Make it family time by laying out the mat and spinning until you pass out from giggling, active movement and stretching and quality time you’re kids will always enjoy.
What do you like to do with your kids to get active?
Sherrell Dorsey is a natural beauty expert, writer, speaker and advocate of health, wellness and sustainability in communities of color. In addition to creating OrganicBeautyVixen.com, Sherrell writes beauty articles for Tyra Banks’s beauty and fashion site TypeF.com, Jones Magazine, MySalonScoop.com and Posh Beauty. Follow Sherrell on twitter at www.twitter.com/organicvixen and connect with her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/