For all of you who are not in the know, TWA stands for Teeny Weeny Afro, which is what I have…had. Whatever! Today I am nine months natural (no chemicals), and I’m so glad I decided to take this journey…again. I tried a new hairstyle to celebrate my naturalversary…dun, dun, dun…the faux fro-hawk. LOL! And guess what…I discovered that I’m NOT too old for this hairstyle, it’s actually been my best hairstyle thus far.
I used about 24 straight bobby pins and gathered my hair to the center. My hair was previously in a twist-out, so by the time I put it in a fro-hawk, my hair was nice and fluffy and stretched out. I added a flower clip on the side, that I failed to take a picture of….sorry (I photo shopped one in for you guys). However, I’m sure I’ll be revisiting this style a lot.
Also, to celebrate my hair growth, I’ve put together some ways you can tell if YOUR hair has grown from a TWA into a BOA…Big Old Afro! Enjoy.
You no longer have a TWA if…
1. It takes you more than 15 minutes to do a wng (wash and go).
2. You have to put your hair in sections to detangle and wash.
3. You have more than a couple of styling options.
4. Random strangers start to call you, “Soul Sista,” “Angie Davis,” or “Foxy Brown”
5. You no longer hear your friends and family say, “I don’t know why you cut your hair!”
6. You can actually comb your hair starting at the ends and work up to the roots.
7. You don’t get as much use out of a bottle of conditioner as you used to.
8. You can’t rub your fingertips in a circular motion through your hair to get your curl pattern to form.