5 Great Ways to Appreciate Life When You’re Lost

By January 27th, 202116 Comments
by Sherrell Dorsey of OrganicBeautyVixen.com

For the past few weeks I’ve been in a transition period. I moved from NYC back to Seattle, trying to expand and grow some of the things I’m doing for OBV and still trying to decide on the next thing. The journey has been discouraging at times and down-right frustrating. I constantly feel as though I’m asking “What’s next? Where do I go from here?”. I’ve been extremely blessed to have so much but at the same time feeling as though I haven’t quite made it to where I want to be in life.

What do you do when you feel stuck or feel as though you’re slowly moving through the mud trying your best to keep your head up and your pace steady? I don’t have the answers, I have no advice for the next step but I do know that when you get to this place in your life it’s easy to questions your self-confidence, your motivation, your drive and your self-worth. Don’t get attacked with these thoughts of self-doubt. Know that this is just a phase that requires us to be still, listen for direction, pray, meditate and wait for an answer.

During this challenging time in my life I’ve reached out to friends and family of all ages to get some insight on how I can use this time to be grateful and thankful.

1. Fast – Dedicate a day, a meal or a distraction to be free from. Surrendering those things that make you feel comfortable and complete will allow you to focus solely on hearing God’s voice, clearing your mind and listening clearly for direction. Pray during your regular meal time. Turn off the radio. Quiet the television. Whatever is clouding your mind, let it go for however long you need to in order to gain some clarity, mental and spiritual peace.

2. Go for a walk– The best things in life are often free. Especially nature. Walk through your neighborhood, the park or by the lake and take in the scenery. Leave your iphone, evo or black berry at home and use the time to breathe and love on your environment.

3. Write – I use my blog to release, inspire and create. When I need to remove myself from technology, I write in my private journal my thoughts, my dreams, my frustrations. Write a love letter to your life. Boost your ego and speak things into existence. Write a letter to yourself when your business is up and running, or after you’ve found your mate, or when you’ve completed school.

4. Turn up the music – When I need to surround myself with positivity, I turn up my music on full blast and dance around until I break a sweat. Throw on some gospel music, your favorite dance tune or just a positive sound and live in the moment. You can’t change things over night but you sure as heck can dance until you drop right now!

5. Inspire others – Fake it until you make it baby! Even if you’re feeling down in the dumps, give love and beauty to someone else. Tell your friends and family how great they are, how they inspire you and how thankful you are for their friendship. Congratulate, encourage and make it known that you are surrounded by folks doing their thing. Watch and see how you will get the same in return.

What do you do when you feel as though you have no direction in your life? Please share with me!

Sherrell Dorsey is a natural beauty expert, writer, speaker and advocate of health, wellness and sustainability in communities of color. In addition to creating OrganicBeautyVixen.com, Sherrell writes beauty articles for Tyra Banks’s beauty and fashion site TypeF.com, Jones Magazine, MySalonScoop.com and Posh Beauty. Follow Sherrell on twitter at www.twitter.com/organicvixen and connect with her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/OBVMedia

Music, no doubt

• Sherrell says:

I'm literally in tears reading all of your comments to my post and I am so blessed and honored that you all have shared so deeply with each other. I pray for all of you and that God brings you all through your individual situations. Stay faithful and trust Him. Take the time to slow down. I'm in the process of doing exactly the same. Sometimes you share your story not sure of what people will think of it but I am so blessed to share, learn and grow with you beautiful women. Be blessed and don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle happens! Love and beauty – Serrell

Wow! when God moves, he really does it. I have been struggling lately with these same questions. And its hard. To not know what's next, what you should be doing. I'm all over the place and I've been asking God just for some direction. I landed on this webpage because I'm looking to get my natural past-my-shoulder hair cut and just wanted some inspiration. This post made me smile…it was exactly what I needed to read. Keeping it moving and praying is what's getting me through. I know that I'm going to be alright, just gotta stay focused and keep my eyes on my goals. At times it is hard but it is definitely worth it. Prayer really works. I'm on the verge of tears because you ladies are so on point with your comments. God won't put more on you than you can bear. We always know what it is we need to do. No matter how big the feat seems, it is conquerable. Thanks so much for this post.

@Anonymous 9:50 Thank you for your beautiful and encouraging words. I will do exactly that. PUSH.

• Aishah says:

I've found that fasting and praying helps bring me back to my center. Been trying to meditate but all this technology is distracting lol

Thanks for this post. I've been distracted completing a project and have been feeling the need to fast. I even asked friend to join me and she never responded. Guess I'm supposed to do it alone.

To those with marital problems, continue Praying Until Something Happens. That's right, PUSH through. Continue speaking peace into your home and believing that the rough patch will become a fertile soil again. Unless you are in physical danger, or an abusive relationship, you need to stand your ground.

I expect to hear praise reports!

Sherell, thanks for this article. I sincerely hope that you'll find what you're looking for.

@lisamo and @Anonymous 4:51: I feel your frustration. I am also facing serious challenges in my marriage. The time has come to decide whether to keep trying to make it work, or to let it go. It's one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to face. It's difficult to admit that a marriage you had such high hopes for is no longer constructive, and that you have stopped growing together as a couple.

I tell you I was just walking around work questioning myself. Telling myself I need to go somewhere queit and figure out what I'm doing? God send you messages in many different ways, this time it came in the from a blog. Imgaine that!

Thanks Sistah'

Needed this!!! Just decided today that I need to fast to get me through the rest of what has been the hardest year of my life. Time to breath and be still.

Wow… This article was right on time for me as well, I mean right to the second. My husband and i are having some issues and I found myself wondering what to do now to fix this. I feel just out of place and wanting some guidance. As of this moment after reading this article and the great suggestions, i have decided to pray and fast tonight and start back running tomorrow as it served as meditation for me as well I just haven't had the time to do so. I thank you all for this article and the comments. May God Bless you all.

• lisamo says:

This article was right on time for me as well. My husband and I are going through some problems right now and just yesterday I decided I am going to fast and pray hoping to get a clear head and some answers for the situation. Unfortunately in this day and age there are so many distractions and obstacles in your way that if you don't take time and step away you will loose yourself; and that's exactly how I'm feeling.

I run, literally! This serves as my meditation, fasting, and spiritual nourishment. lol
    I also read biographies and autobiographies to learn about hwat others dream about achieving and how they go about reaching their goals. Not only is this inspirational, but it gives insight into the general thought process that an actual person goes through in "working it out".

Good luck to you! Just know that you are where you are supposed to be right now. It feels weird and unsettling, because change and growth are usually uncomfortable and awkward.

• Debbie says:

I spent years runing but I've finally learned that the only answer is to turn to Christ…He has never ever let me down…

• Curly Film Chick says:

great timing for this article for me…thanks =)

• TMS says:

Thanks Kim! The power of the Word is truly awesome.

• Kim says:

I fasted today and since I'm a Christian i focused on the word of God and every word blessed me in my circumstance and bought me from depressed to blessed almost instantaneously!!!!