For the past few weeks I’ve been in a transition period. I moved from NYC back to Seattle, trying to expand and grow some of the things I’m doing for OBV and still trying to decide on the next thing. The journey has been discouraging at times and down-right frustrating. I constantly feel as though I’m asking “What’s next? Where do I go from here?”. I’ve been extremely blessed to have so much but at the same time feeling as though I haven’t quite made it to where I want to be in life.
What do you do when you feel stuck or feel as though you’re slowly moving through the mud trying your best to keep your head up and your pace steady? I don’t have the answers, I have no advice for the next step but I do know that when you get to this place in your life it’s easy to questions your self-confidence, your motivation, your drive and your self-worth. Don’t get attacked with these thoughts of self-doubt. Know that this is just a phase that requires us to be still, listen for direction, pray, meditate and wait for an answer.
During this challenging time in my life I’ve reached out to friends and family of all ages to get some insight on how I can use this time to be grateful and thankful.
1. Fast – Dedicate a day, a meal or a distraction to be free from. Surrendering those things that make you feel comfortable and complete will allow you to focus solely on hearing God’s voice, clearing your mind and listening clearly for direction. Pray during your regular meal time. Turn off the radio. Quiet the television. Whatever is clouding your mind, let it go for however long you need to in order to gain some clarity, mental and spiritual peace.
2. Go for a walk– The best things in life are often free. Especially nature. Walk through your neighborhood, the park or by the lake and take in the scenery. Leave your iphone, evo or black berry at home and use the time to breathe and love on your environment.
3. Write – I use my blog to release, inspire and create. When I need to remove myself from technology, I write in my private journal my thoughts, my dreams, my frustrations. Write a love letter to your life. Boost your ego and speak things into existence. Write a letter to yourself when your business is up and running, or after you’ve found your mate, or when you’ve completed school.
4. Turn up the music – When I need to surround myself with positivity, I turn up my music on full blast and dance around until I break a sweat. Throw on some gospel music, your favorite dance tune or just a positive sound and live in the moment. You can’t change things over night but you sure as heck can dance until you drop right now!
5. Inspire others – Fake it until you make it baby! Even if you’re feeling down in the dumps, give love and beauty to someone else. Tell your friends and family how great they are, how they inspire you and how thankful you are for their friendship. Congratulate, encourage and make it known that you are surrounded by folks doing their thing. Watch and see how you will get the same in return.
What do you do when you feel as though you have no direction in your life? Please share with me!
Sherrell Dorsey is a natural beauty expert, writer, speaker and advocate of health, wellness and sustainability in communities of color. In addition to creating OrganicBeautyVixen.com, Sherrell writes beauty articles for Tyra Banks’s beauty and fashion site TypeF.com, Jones Magazine, MySalonScoop.com and Posh Beauty. Follow Sherrell on twitter at www.twitter.com/organicvixen and connect with her on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/