KinkyShea’s Health and Fitness Tip of the Week

By January 27th, 20219 Comments
Recipe of the Week: Coffee Bean and Peppercorn Steak
(from www.eatingwell.com)

The bold combination of peppercorn and coffee beans works wonders with the rich meat of venison.

Nutrient Profile: Diabetes appropriate, low calorie, low cholesterol, low sodium, gluten free, healthy weight appropriate.

Ingredients:

1 small garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 tablespoon freshly brewed coffee
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon whole coffee beans (unflavored)
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces venison steak, about 1-inch thick (trimmed of fat if any.)

Directions:

1. Preheat grill to high.

2. Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.

3. Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.

4. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.

Nutrition (Per Serving): 190 calories; 8 g fat (3g sat,4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; o g added sugars; 25 g protein; 0 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.

KinkyShea's Health and Fitness Tip of the Week

Fit Tip of the Week:
Top Fitness Mistakes

If you’re exercising regularly and not getting the results you want or if you keep getting plagued by pulled muscles and other nagging injuries or if you feel you’re tempted stop exercising all together, here’s something to think about. The problem may not be with your exercise program itself, but it may have to do with the way you are exercising. From fitness buffs to the very beginners we all make mistakes that often keep us from getting the most out of our workouts without even realizing them. In a two part series we’ll take a look at some of the most common fitness mistakes. Steering clear of these mistakes can keep you on track with your goals and keep you safe.

1. The Slouch. This is probably the most common mistake I see in the gym. Basically its an exerciser leaning on the equipment. Picture someone on a stairmaster leaning over it and hanging on as the gates of Hell waited for them should they fall. This is not appropriate posture! When you slouch or lean on the cardio equipment, your back is rounded which causes your spine to be deprived of proper support. Often I hear people complaining about back pain after using a particular cardio equipment and when I watch them 99% of the time they’re leaning on the equipment and their posture has gone to the birds. Standing erect (like normal) while using the treadmill, or stair master, or cross trainer, helps to support your spine properly and avoid back complications down the line.

2. The Vice Grip. This ties into The Slouch. By holding on too tightly to the cardiovascular equipment allows you to “cheat” and can contribute to slouching. In addition this keeps you from moving your arms. Using your arms can help boost your heart rate and burn extra calories. Instead of gripping the equipment, try just resting your fingers on the bars if you’re feeling uncomfortable with letting go. If you’re using the elliptical training your grip should be relaxed.

3. Just Cardio. I can’t count how many times I’ve had clients that thought all they needed in their exercise program was cardiovascular training and totally skip strength training. Truth is, at age 30 we start losing muscle. Strength training builds and maintains muscle, which increases metabolism and burns more calories. In addition, strength training is especially important in women because it helps build and maintain bone density which can help help fight osteoporosis.

4. Rushing through reps. Doing weight-lifting repetitions too fast raises your blood pressure and increases your risk for joint injury (there are plenty of YouTube videos on this subject). This also compromises your results. The safest way to use strength machines and free weights is exhaling while lifting for two counts, hold at the top of the muscle contraction, then return as you inhale for four counts. Rule of thumb: always exhale during the hardest part of the work.

5. Not properly adjusting equipment. Weight machines are made for people of all shapes and sizes. You’ve got to adjust them to fit you if you want to get results and avoid injury. I’ve actually seen people blow out knees by using a maladjusted leg-extension machine. Besides risk of injury, if the machine is maladjusted you don’t work your muscles though their full range of motion, therefore your muscles are performing at their full potential. If you’re not sure how to adjust your equipment have a qualified trainer show you the proper settings and have them write it down on a index card so you can keep it with you.

Next week we’ll take a look a few more mistakes that are commonly made. Remember if you’re working out and something doesn’t “feel right” check with a qualified trainer to make sure you using appropriate techniques. If the problem still persists then speak with your healthcare provider.

Until next week…

KinkySheaPT

Laurie,

I usually don't post in these forums, because people are just know it alls, but I wanted to offer my thoughts since I recently lost 20 lbs just by walking the stairs at work . Working out at the gym is okay and probably a year is fine, but you will need to eat reasonable as well.I hope you aren't paying too much for the membership. I agree with the other person that stated beware of the experts in the gym. A lot of trainers will have you do stuff that can actually hurt you. I two friends that have "certificates" and they both say the personal training can be good, but also very dangerous. Don't push too hard and question things if you don't feel good. The other post jumping on the other poster should back off. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts. I think he/she had some good points. That's why we live in America.

Oh yeah, I see vension in the grocery store all the time. I agree with the other post, venison is not a rich meat.

Kinkyshea: gym equipment is not necessary to get in shape. How do you get someone in shape who can't afford gym equipment? How many fat people do you know that own gym equipment collecting dust or holding today's laundry. I know plenty of people who cannot afford gym memberships and get in great shape and not just "I look good in clothes shape." These are people who can do push ups, pulls ups, scale walls, run for hours etc. Nutrition does not require any special training. Go to a Nautropath find out your food allergies and use common use or the internet is free. Americans are always looking for someone to tell them how to do something. Humans are smart, intelligent, and ingenious. A little bit of guidance and the person who posted the question will well be on their way to being fit. What happens if her trainer leaves town? Oh boy, race out and get another. Bologna, she is smart enough to figure it out with some guidance, because a one year contract is just going to make the trainer get paid.

Everyone puts these people powers on "experts" dietians. Anonymous at 6:11 pm. get a clue. No one is being negative. This forum is to give different perspective on things. My husband doesn't work in a gym, because gyms are a trap. He works with people independently and with semi-professional athletes. He works with people who want to be in shape, not look like Beyonce. LOL! We wouldn't work with someone like you because you are weak minded. You can't take other opinions so we wouldn't allow you come into our group. I'm sure that you not in shape, because your post seems so fragile. Best of luck to you.

@ Anonymous August 4, 2011 1:48 PM: "Gym equipment is pretty much a waste, especially if you don't use.Just look at all the fat people at the gym…it generally doesn't work."

If that's how you and your husband view people who are trying to live healthier lives and loose weight, I certainly don't want to be your client or workout in your gym. Try being a bit more positive and encouraging towards them and maybe you'll start seeing their workouts be more effective.

• KinkySheaPT says:

@Laurie:
    A personal trainer is a great starting point to kick start your own regiment. A qualified trainer can get you started on a great program and help you build it from there. Depending on how comfortable you feel with your regiment of exercise is up to you when to branch out on your own. It depends on how you feel and your trainer feel is best for you. If I have a client who's making great progress and he or she feels that she can do without my services for a bit then as long as what they are doing is safe and effective I typically ease off and check in with them periodically (and often drop in on me with any questions they may have). I do agree with Anonymous in the arena that people can get dependent on their trainers but if you're seeing your 2x a month it sounds like that won't be much of an issue. Once you get your starting program set up and you're progressing well and you feel you're ready to branch out on your own, make sure you check with your trainer to make sure what you're doing is effective and safe. And don't be surprised if your trainer makes contact with you to see how you're doing and to make sure you're still making progress. And don't hesitate to contact him or her should you have any questions.

Bottom line: For now, get going with working with your trainer and your gym program. Give yourself sometime, build your confidence, and see how you feel. Once you feel you're ready do go at it on your own have a talk with your trainer to see what steps you need to take next.

@Anonymous: Gym equipment is a waste if you don't use it correctly. Is using gym equipment a MUST, no it's not, however I'm certainly not going to shy someone away if there is an interest in using the equipment. The equipment can be very effective, again when used properly and consistently. Some people like using the equipment some people like group fitness classes. As long as it's working for them, to each their own. While it's true that there are some trainers out there that don't know much about nutrition (and it's usually because their certification program was a one day workshop), there are some that are educated in nutrition and work closely with registered dietitians to provide their clients with as much resources as necessary to reach their goals. People should definitely check the credentials of their trainer to make sure they're getting a well trained and resourceful individual.

Laurie, In my opinion a year is too long. My husband is a personal trainer and he is amazed at how dependent people get on trainers. Our philosophy is to give folks the tools to start our training, check in with them, then progress to various levels. For instance, start out by walking everyday, you don't need a trainer for that. Increase to longer walks, or more hills, or include sprints. My whole point is that trainers make it out to be like they have some special knowledge, when you have it inside of you. Go back to the old gym classes stuff, situps, running lines, basketball, dodge ball, timed running on the track all that stuff is real. Gym equipment is pretty much a waste, especially if you don'tuse.Just look at all the fat people at the gym…it generally doesn't work. Also, most trainers don't know much about healthy eating. In the cert program my husband took, it was a joke. Counting calories is a joke. Reasonable eating in moderation is the key with a big PLUS of exercise everyday. If you eat at fastfood all the time you will never get in shape. Last comment, you can talk to one training and get one thought and a totally opposite thought from another. Just my opinion.

• laurie aka newlynatural26 says:

I have a question. I just signed up with a personal trainer to see him 2x a month in addition to the gym membership. Is 1 yr of personal training good enough to kick start my own regiment of exercise and healthy eating in the year after my contract is up?

• FreshHeiress says:

I really needed to hear this info today. Maintaining posture & mindful breathing are simple but pertinent actions that improve the effectiveness of exercise & keeps our bodies safe. I'll stand more erect during cardio, my back will thank me & "mindfully" control my breaths during strength training. Thanks for the tips.

• Philosophic Mermaid says:

Venison is definitely NOT a rich meat.