15 Days of Giving Thanks- Caren

By January 27th, 202110 Comments

15 Days of Giving Thanks- Caren
My life is filled with more than a few things to give thanks for.

I am newly divorced – it was officially a year this past September 13.

Even though a year may seem like a long time to some and enough time to get over it, I still feel newly divorced when I compare the past one year to the lifetime my marriage should have lasted. Alas, I’ve gotten through the past year and over some bumps along the way.

The biggest bump/hill/mountain was becoming a single mother. I have a beautiful 2-year-old daughter who was 10 months old when her father and I separated. Immediately upon our separation, her father and I began a shared custody schedule – morally right for her sake. Still nursing at the time, I suffered and literally leaked through a premature weaning, which was quite taxing, both emotionally and physically. My baby and I made it through, though!

In time, our custody schedule became a written, legal document. I never dreamed I’d see the inside of Family Court for myself. There were lots of emotions throughout the ordeal, however, I remain thankful.

One of the things I am most grateful for is the abundantly civil relationship my daughter’s father, my ex-husband and I have been able to recover and maintain. Having that begets a peace that spills into so many other facets of both my own and my daughter’s life, and I have no concerns about how much my daughter loves and enjoys her time with her father.

Having that peace when it comes to my daughter feels pretty much divine. The fragility of the bond between a mother and child is sensitive because of how deep the love runs and I am truly thankful.

******************************************

Don’t forget to head over to the 15 Days of Giving Thanks homepage and enter for your chance to win a Hair Rules Essential Moisturizing Kit!

Beautiful girl and beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

Maaaan ya'll need to stop getting divorced!!

i'm newly divorced as well, with two girls ages 11 and 8. Its been over a year and i was married for nine years.. it was a very emotional time especially for me because all of my family is in another state and i feel alone but trying to keep the girls here around their father even when he continues to be mean but i keep God first and foremost in my life. its hasnt been easy but it could be worse. keep your head up and continue to be blessed

• Candice says:

I've been divorced for almost four years now and Lord, it feels like I've been through hell and back. I'm so much better for the good and bad now though. I didn't have any kids so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is when you have children in the mix.

It all gets better with time!

It gets better…trust me…I divorced 2 months after my son turned 3…I thank God for the mental & financial support from my parents…my son is now 18…I'm still single and my life has been great it centers around my son(family), church, & work…my son would see his father every other week and we would rotate hoildays…I thank God for the wonderful young man that he has become(no children or troubles with the law) and I also thank God for the close relationship we have…he now tries to act like he is my protector…lol…for those newly separated/divorced it does get better…from happily divorced for 15 yrs…

• yoly Rodriguez says:

I always say that when things happen for a reason,god only snows what we have to each.I like peace of mind.

I'm newly seperated, but in a couple of months can file for divorce. I too have a little one (3years old). I understand exactly what you are going through and how hard it is to raise a child alone. This year for me has been about letting go and allowing a healing to take place. God is almost complete in the healing process, its just that last thing that is left to do. I never saw it coming, and I even waited for a year and reconciled. But mine left me and my son twice. So the pain will slowly, but surely leave. You have encouraged me, I was very shocked to read this story on CurlyNikki.

You don't know how much I needed to read this today. I am newly separated, and your statement relating time to that of the lifetime your marriage should have lasted could have been ripped from my head.

Your sharing is an encouragement and your honestly is refreshing. Today I am thankful for you!!

I'm newly divorced too and it's hard sometimes. Thanks for sharing your story.

Is he sniffing her armpit?