On Growing Natural Hair Long and Strong

By January 27th, 202115 Comments

Hola Chicas,
It’s Thursday which means we’ve officially taken over Essence for the day!
¡Viva la Revolución!
Check out my latest installment,
where I discuss ways to achieve greater lengths.  Head
over there, check it out, ‘like it’, share it and comment! Also, leave
questions of your own for the next article!
Thanks divas!
Later Gators,
Nik
What length retaining tips do you have?

I consistently protective style, DC, moisturize and finger detangle, but I can definitely see a major difference in my hair's health since I have been using Aphogee (every 3 months). I am retaining length and breakage is not a major problem.

^^^^^ "it" being a LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER.

Great post, Nikki! This may sound silly to some of you, but I was beginning to wonder if I should be applying more often. I've been applying it about twice a week after my shampoo and mid-week cowashes.
    I do mist my hair morning and night and apply a sealer, but frequently find broken ends on the floor and sink. Also, my crown doesn't seem to retain as much length judging by the length of my twists in that area.
    I've been natural for almost a year and can tell my hair growth is better than it was relaxed, but this tip will surely help me obtain my longest, healthiest hair ever.

LOL @anonymous June 14, 2012 5:17 PM

• mangomadness says:

These are the hair care techniques that have helped my kinky coily, Afro-textured hair retain length:
    -finger-detangling sectioned (12), oil- &/or conditoner-coated hair before shampooing
    -washing in two-strand twisted sections (12)
    -keeping hair moisturized (w/ leave-in conditioner & creams)
    -sealng ends w/ castor oil
    -wearing stretched hair styles (braid-outs & buns)
    -wearing a satin bonnet/scarf when sleeping (bed or nap)

For me retaining length is to deep condition once weekly,keep the hair and ends free from dryness, wear protective styles, and lastly no heat! : )

Oops! I meant in the one n' only argan oil hydrating mask the protein is keratin ( hydrogenated) not meeting sorry lol! Also it can be found in Sally's beauty supply stores.

Megan Montgomery

Moisture, moisture, moisture! Not too much protein if your hair can not tolerate protein overload can happen. I really do not protein treatment only once in a while if I decide to straighten my hair. I mix 2 eggs and coconut oil or I use one n' only argan oil hydrating mask it has meeting protein in it and moisture so it is about 50/50. Also not necessarily protective styling, but wearing your hair at times in a bun or simply off your shoulders will be good. I wear my hair up 3x's a week after wearing it down for two days after being freshly styled.
    I always do this even when I straighten it and I have retained length. My mother told me this at a very young age. She also told me not to wear the up style to tight and to wear it a down sometimes to let your hair "breathe".

Megan Montgomery

• Addy O. says:

A simple regime of washing, conditioning and moisturizing has helped me retain length. I also like to do protective styling and my hair likes to be left alone as well.

• Unknown says:

i'm a transitioning 3c 7 months strong 🙂 and i am loving my hair journey.
    my current style to retaining length is a high pony pulled back by one of many of my colorful scarves & loving it

I've been natural for-EVER (4b) and it has ALWAYS been the case that when I leave my hair alone as much as possible, I retain almost all my length. It has nothing to do with products or genetics or any of that.

The black folks who look askance at my fuzzy twists and nappy edges almost always have less hair than I do…and when I tell them the secret to growing BSL hair is to (mostly) leave it the hell alone, they act like I told them to go shoot someone. *smh*

And then when they're like, "Why don't you straighten it so you can show it off?" I'm like, "Because I don't need to show off my length…I know it's there and that's good enough for me."

And THEN when they act like they don't believe me, I'm like, "If my stretching a twist isn't enough proof, sorry, I can't help you!" lol

I used to want to be one of those flag-waving role models who proved that black women could have long hair too. Not anymore…I just do what works for me and what other folks do or don't do is their biz…

once again moisturize and protective styling are the keys for length retention.

• Lola says:

MOISTURIZE AND PROTECT!!! My hair went from shoulder length (all my life), to bra strap length when I started these two practices. (4b hair type)

I welcome suggestions because I have to wash twice weekly since I can't keep twist-out definition in my kinky coils.

Spritzing with water will result in kinky matted natties.

I like to protect my ends the same day I wash my hair, so I will put my hair in 10-12 twist & pin them up until I get ready to moisturize 2-4 days later. This helps so when I wear my hair out after moisturizing it doesn't dry out as fast.

Brooke B.