I’ve kept some form of a diary since I was probably about 8 years old–whether it was prompted, like my Ramona Quimby Diary; or a simple notebook where I jotted down scattered thoughts. I still keep a journal as an adult, and though I don’t write in it as often as I would like, I always come back to it eventually. It’s the perfect sounding board for ideas, keeper of secrets I don’t dare yet reveal to anyone else and reminder about dreams deferred.
Here are some of the reasons that you might also want to keep a journal, if you don’t already:
– To chronicle your thoughts and help assemble them in a way that makes sense for you
– To help you sort out any unfamiliar or negative feelings
– It’s a judgment free zone; it lets you get it all out without interrupting or giving advice, allowing you to figure out what’s right for you
– To keep track of your growth, as well as any changes you’ve gone through; and manage your goals year over year (or weekly, or monthly)
– It’s a great place to conduct self-development exercises or self-evaluations. I still refer back to my 31 Day Reset journal from over a year ago because it houses so many of the wonderful discoveries I made about my values (learn more about 31 Days to Reset Your Life at the Happy Black Woman blog).
– To jot down notes, mantras or favorite quotes; or clip inspirational photos
– To draft blog entries, poems, shorts stories, sketches etc.
This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but hopefully a good amount of reasons to get you started.
Do you already keep a journal? In what ways does having it benefit you?
PLPT is co-authored by Kim Jackson and GG Renee with the intention of connecting with women through messages of self-love and personal freedom. We believe that true beauty starts on the inside and radiates outward, so maintaining emotional health and balance should be an essential part of every woman’s beauty regimen. We use this platform as an opportunity to share our personal experiences, and to help other women who are seeking guidance to find their own truths and live fabulously.