GG’s Summer Hair Routine

By January 27th, 202125 Comments

GG's Summer Hair Routine

Do you know it’s been a year since I’ve done a natural hair update?   I
didn’t realize it had been such a long time.  I haven’t been very
focused on my hair lately.  It’s grown a lot, but I I have a feeling
that I will need a lot cut when I go for my next trim.  I’ve been
wearing it in buns 95% of the time, and I’m way overdue for a trim.

All summer, I’ve either worn ponytails like this…

GG's Summer Hair Routine

Or buns like this….
GG's Summer Hair Routine

It’s been way too humid to wear it all up in my face and on my neck. I’ll typically wash on Sundays and braid it up and wear it in various updos throughout the week. If it gets too crazy in the middle of the week, I’ll either rinse it and braid it again or I’ll co-wash. I’ve done almost no wash and goes because my hair really doesn’t like them.

I’ve tried to keep it really simple. There are three factors that really seem to keep my hair thriving, with minimal work:  1) Every wash, I either pre-treat with oil or do an oil rinse, 2) After washing, I braid or twist to dry and stretch, no matter how I plan on styling, and 3) Remoisturize at least a couple times during the week.

How do I remoisturize? At night, I dab a nickel sized amount of oil or butter in my hands and evenly distribute throughout my hair, paying particular attention to my ends. Then I put it up either in a top knot or a couple twists or braids, put on a plastic cap, then a scarf over that and go to bed. When I wake up, my hair feels amazing and happy.

GG's Summer Hair Routine

What have you been doing with your hair all summer?

• Sydney says:

Me too! I've recently been pulling my twist back in a low pony. Lazy chic at it's finest 🙂

• Derika says:

First off, let me say how awesome her hair looks! It looks amazing! As far as my hair, I love twists and twist outs. They are so easy to do with an almost 2 year old and with one on the way. I'm transitioning so I'm still trying to get a routine started but I'm still figuring my hair out.

• SavanahRae says:

I love to see twist updos

• SavanahRae says:

I've been doing everything under the sun with my hair this summer. Doing the wash and go, twist, twist outs, extension braids, frohawks etc.

• Davina916 says:

I've been wearing twists and twist-outs.

• Jessica Coletrain says:

Wonder what products she uses? (y'all all were thinking it) I've been using JBCO hair food, shea moisture milk, and coconut oil right after a wash, keeps the curls super happy.

• ss says:

I started the summer wearing a TNC, but as it got more hot and humid, I started a WNG with KCCC. I spritz in the morning with Jane Carter revitalizing leave in conditioner (I wish she made this in a body spray – LUVS IT).
    Even though the SSKs have been bad, I accept it as part of having tighly coily hair. The KCCC/KCKT have kept my hair from feeling dry as a tumbleweed.

• ss says:

you go girl!

• Yolanda says:

Goodness summer is almost over! I'm a college student so in the summer I get to take a break from my wearing my hair out everyday and wear twists instead. My hair has been in twist 80% of the time. I started to pre-treat my hair on wash day with Olive Oil and I've seen some change. But for the most part just twist and twistouts.

• abrunnin says:

wash n' go! I'm really just figuring out what my hair needs & works well with. I've worn the washn'go for about a month until two weeks ago I did a twist out and realized my edges broke off really badly! Not sure what caused this but I started massaging castor oil on them last Tuesday and I went to a dr today that said I should wash and condition my hair. BOO!!! Is there a such thing as edge growth injections or something?

• Mel says:

Twist outs pinned back into a frohawk

• Sydney says:

Twisted updo's are my life. So easy and so chic!

• Sydney says:

The summer has flown by and I can't even remember what I did with my hair in the beginning. I think I did curl former sets and then when they got too frizzy I discovered this reliable roll and pinned up do. Lately it has been TWISTS, TWISTS, TWISTS. I wash (co-wash or shampoo) on Sundays, do a DT and then apply my home made aloe vera juice refresher spray, shea leave in and argan oil and throw my hair in 20-22 twists. I put perm rods on the ends that won't stay put. I've been telling myself that I'm keeping my twists in until they are fully dry then will release them and rock a twist out. The thing is, I don't want to take down my twists. I refresh them with a little aloe vera juice mixture and re-oil and I'm golden in the morning! I pull them back with an ouchless band in a twist pony tail and I just can't imagine doing anything more. Lazy? I'm thinking so but also it has been HOT and I don't want all that hair on my neck or worry about using 20 bobby pins to hold my updo in place. So twists are my go-to right now. The thought of doing a 3 hour curl former set (when I can spend 1-2 hours on Sunday nights putting my hair in twists which last all week) is just not fathomable right now.

• Dr Mermaid says:

I've been wearing braidouts, doing cowashes twice a week, sit with my turbie twist on until my hair is damp, use KBB leave in and either deva curl pomade or Jane carter curl cream to braid with. My best hair days, I'm getting closer to a staple routine. Thank God, after 6 months of trying to find what works

• honeybrown1976 says:

I've worn my hair in twist outs, my own version of twists, buns, and ponytails. Too hot for hair drama!

• Miss TeeTee says:

I've kept my hair braided for the summer. I take it down every 4 weeks or so, henna, DC and start braiding again!

• Des says:

I started wearing my hair in twist outs but then tried the plait outs, which are now my go to style. The plait outs last longer and I like the definition they provide to my fine but extemely densely packed 4b/4c hair. I retwist on dry hair every 2 or 3 days with a little Oyin handmade dew or home made flax seed gel and seal with the oyin sugar berries pomade or Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine. In between retwisting I re-moisturize with either my homemade oil mix (evoo, evco, sweet almond oil, and jojoba oil) or once again use one of HG, Jane Carters Nourish and Shine. I apply a little castor oil to my edges 2-3 times a week to keep them strong. I co-wash once a week and will be trying my first protein treatment at home this week. I figured why pay someone to do it, when I can do it myself.

• Jody-Ann says:

I've been battling my hair…I was even tempted to texturize, but after much research on the net decide to leave it as is…just one of those weeks grrrr

• Megan M. says:

Since Las Vegas, NV already has hot weather and now humid weather has been in the forecast, I wear two strand twist/twist and curl. When I wear my hair out in the twist in curl for about three days then I put it in a top knot bun or updo's. Two strand twist under a satin scarf on a humid day I love and I pin them up for updo's. I moisture every 2-3 days with Jane Carter revitalizing leave in conditioner I heart this product for moisture and it protects the hair from the sun and heat styling. I put oil on my ends daily…my oils have been coconut oil and Carol's Daughter Mimosa hair honey locks in the moisture better and stays locked longer. I wash my hair once every two weeks so protective styles are my bff. I use to wash my hair once a week, I became lazy lol! since my hair has gotten longer.

• Angela B. says:

I've been wearing my hair in a puff or bun all summer. It's just way too hot & humid to wear it down.

• Esther Komolafe says:

I have been wearing braids and twists.

• bboyd says:

I've been wearing finger coils. They last for 2 – 2.5 weeks. Easy to take care of and style, keeps my hands out of my hair, and I don't have to twist every night.

• Davina W. says:

I've been wearing twists or twist-outs.

• Gwenn4ya says:

*wear

• Gwenn4ya says:

Well I'm in a place where it is hot and humid and because of my job, I keep my hair in two strand twist during the week and on the weekends I let it out and where a twistout. I wear hats daily, so two strand twists in an updo is the way to go for me. I will sometimes cowash during the week before my weekly wash on Sundays. I am now trying the L.O.C. method to see if this will help me keep moisture more.