Alex’s Top 3 Sealants for Natural Hair

By January 27th, 202117 Comments
Alex's Top 3 Sealants for Natural Hair
  by Alex of The Good Hair Blog

What is sealing?: Sealing can be achieved by using oils or silicone based products to retain moisture levels in the hair.

When do you seal? Often times it’s best to seal strands AFTER applying water and/or moisturizer. Sealants, like Shea butter are also referred to as “anti humectants.”

What’s the goal of sealing?  The main goal of sealing the hair is to trap the moisture in your cuticles so it can’t get out and excess moisture in the air can’t get in.

My Top 3 Sealants
*I have type 4a low porosity hair. These products work best for my type, do your own research before trying.*

Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Alex's Top 3 Sealants for Natural Hair

Mango Butter
Alex's Top 3 Sealants for Natural Hair
Buy Here

Raw Shea Butter
Alex's Top 3 Sealants for Natural Hair
Buy here

How I seal and how often?

I like to
seal after every wash or whenever I feel like my hair is dryer than
usual. I only wash my hair about twice a month so when I do seal on a
wash day, it’s a pretty “heavy” seal to avoid having to reseal and weigh
my hair down as the week goes on. My
seal regimen is simple. I wash (co-wash), apply my leave in moisturizer
which is usually Oyin Handmade’s Honey Hemp conditioner, then I part my
hair in 4/5 sections, spritz water
and apply my raw butter or castor oil and use my Denman brush to
detangle. Lately I have been reaching more for the castor oil because my
hair has been needing to retain more moisture.  I find that JBCO is just right for my thick strands, it’s a tad heavy which is good for me and it smooths my hair cuticle.

What do you seal with?
Leave your tips, tricks and product below.
 *******************************
 My
name is Alexandra Smith, I am 22 year old single mother of one, full
time Media Journalism student and business owner.I share my curly
girl experience and other kinky haired goodness on my site “The Good Hair Blog.”
My overall goal of blogging for the natural hair community is to
bring us together,men included by spreading knowledge, inspiration and
love about our diverse heads of hair

*******************************
CN Says:
Want more of the same? Find other articles on sealing, here, here and here

• Derika says:

I seal with jojoba oil. I love this oil!

• Megan M. says:

I yet to use those oils. I use coconut, olive, and grapeseed because I can get those easily from my local grocery store.

• LisaRae says:

Hello everyone after washing my hair with shea-moisture retention shampoo, I use Anointed by LisaRae, shea-butte, and seal it with her Anointed oil, which have all the naturals oils in her product that your hair needs. (Jojoba, avocado, grapeseed,evoo, castor-oil coconut-oil, and bjco) Than I two-strand-twist, it keeps my hair very soft and it grows so fast and it thicken my hair also.

• CurvyCurly says:

Love these oils too! Mango is one of the main ingredients in the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine that I like to seal with when prepping twists. Good stuff!

• CurvyCurly says:

If wearing a wash-n-go I'll seal with my oil mixture (jojoba, sweet almond, evoo, & castor). If preparing for a twistout I seal with Original Moxie Hair Bling but I also love Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine, especially during the winter.

• Imani BeautifullyPissed Monroe says:

I seal my hair with coconut oil after every cowash sometimes I use a leave in sometimes i dont it all depends on how many times i plan on co washing that week

• Dominique Mitchell says:

I co-wash withTresemme Luxurious Moisture and I seal with Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in (works on detangling my relaxed ends) and EVOO works everytime.

• 'Chone says:

i seal with grapeseed oil and apricot kernal oil. just bought sweet almond oil so i will try that soon. my hair doesnt care for shea butter (didnt seal in the moisture very well) and after awhile i found that when used as the main ingredient it irritates my eyes. same for castor oil and it felt sticky on my hair.

• Alwina Oyewoleturner says:

Thank you for the post. I currently use JBCO as part of my Kimmaytube leave-in and I use shea butter on my skin mostly. But tend to use hair products that contain shea butter as well. I really want to try mango butter and will most likely purchase it from the site you listed. Many thanks!

• Afrikan Latina says:

I can vouch for both the JBCO and Mango Butter. My hair has a love hate thing with shea butter. JBCO can be used when you desire something a bit heavier( a little goes a long way) while the mango butter is definitely a lot lighter.

• Leslie says:

After i co wash i seal with Bee Mine Beloved Hair&Scalp moisturizer. During the week i lightly dampen my hair w/ Shea Moisture Shine &Curl Mist then seal with the Bee Mine. Last night i tried something a little different. I lightly dampened and then used Carols Daughter TUI Moisturizing hair sheen sprayed on my hands to smooth over the hair before i re-braid and then some on the ends. This morning my hair felt pretty good.

• Lola Bunny says:

I use the L.O.C. method. After washing I apply olive oil to damp, detangled hair and then either Shea butter or JBCO over that. I will usually re-moisturize once during the week.

• Zandria B. says:

I love my Shea Butter! I just checked out her blog for the first time. Nice!

• dijah la garveyistaღ says:

Since the temp is dropping, i am now sealing with castor oil (JBCO to be exact).
    After every wash, I add a leave in (KKKT), then my oil (JBCO), and then my shea moisture smoothie. I let my hair completely air dry before I unravel my plaits and style my hair.
    During the week I normally refresh my hair by spritzing with cold water and add a lil jbco on my ends. So far, so good.

• Dilane Mitchell says:

I usually seal with tea tree oil. It's light and it helps my endless battle with the dandruff. I've never used mango butter before; I might have to try it.

• Des says:

I like to use castor, sweet almond or olive oil to seal. I am tempted though to give the mango butter a try.

• Davina916 says:

I seal with jbco, olive oil, or coconut oil.