I only wash my hair once a month and in between styling sessions, I keep it bunned. I hear the same question from everyone– how do you keep your hair looking so shiny and clean?
Once a month:
- Apply coconut oil prior to shampooing as a pre-poo
- Shampoo with Elasta QP Conditioning Creme or ORS Conditioning Shampoo
- Deep Condition with Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner
- Apply leave-in conditioner- Komaza Care Moku Leave-In
- Apply a hair serum- One n Only Argan Oil or Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine
- Blow dry and flatiron
- Secure the hair in a ponytail holder, and twist it into my signature protective style- The Bun!
- For protection at night- tie it up with my silk scarf… that’s it!
I see a pattern. While some can’t tolerate heat period, others seem to do just fine… thrive even. The key seems to be the frequency, perhaps the method (rollerset + flat iron vs. blowdry + flat iron), and maybe even hair texture/type. My sister has been natural since birth and has been getting her (very thick) hair blown out and pressed since she was five or so. Her hair is strong, long and healthy. She retains length like none other. BUT, she only gets her hair done once or twice a month and never touches up in between. When it frizzes, she rocks pony tails, buns, even naturally curly ‘dos like flexi rod sets and twist-outs. I’m a believer in stretched styles for length retention, but my hair seems to prefer wet sets to heat… my strands are just too fine and finicky. What about yours?