via Kurlee Belle
FACT- I experience 80% less shed hair when I finger detangle!
- A good, slippery wash out conditioner
- An oil (optional)
- Your 10 digits
- A spray bottle
- Moisturizing shampoos make finger detangling easy because it softens and makes the hair more manageable.
- Adding coconut or olive oil to dry hair the night before washing can aid in the detangling process. These oils provide lots of slip and make the hair soft.
- Part hair into small sections. The smaller the section, the easier it is to detangle.
- Always use a wash out/instant conditioner. Do not be afraid to pile on the conditioner! The more the better.
- Apply conditioner and let stand for at least 5 minutes, then start detangling. Allowing the conditioner to stand gives the hair time to soften and become more manageable.
- Detangle hair from tip to root. Hold hair mid way between tip and root while detangling. Move hand closer to scalp as you detangle ends. Try to refrain from detangling from root to tip. I know this is a bad habit we picked up when our hair was relaxed but this is a no no with naturally curly hair. Always detangle hair in a downward to upward motion. Think the strings of an accordion.
- After rinsing out wash-out conditioner, apply a leave in conditioner for further manageability.
- Knots are somewhat inevitable with curly hair. If you encounter a knot do not yank it out. I know it’s very tempting to just tear it. DON’T. Gently pull out the strands that are in the knot until it is free. You need a lot of patience for this process, so do not wash or detangle your hair when you are pressed for time.
- Keeping your hair stretched in between wash days this will help with the detangling process. Styles that stretch the hair: twists and braids.
- If you can hear your hair tearing, then it means the hair is not wet enough and you are not using enough conditioner. Don’t be afraid to pile on the conditioner because you will rinse it away after the detangling session.
- The only way to retain length is to maintain your ends. Finger detangling helps reduce the amount of breakage and damage to your strands in essence helping you to retain length.
Want to add to the list? Please leave a comment below.