A new category of hair styling tool has emerged. It has been seen at stores like Michael’s, local beauty supplies, Amazon, and more. Type 4 naturals everywhere have been able to achieve defined twists–and even start dreads–with this innovative hair sponge, also sometimes called a twist or loc sponge.
What makes it so different from a regular sponge? It contains tiny suction holes on the foam side of the sponge that, when used on damp hair and spun around, grab the hair and twists a tendril, piece by piece.
What would normally take hours sometimes is now reduced to only minutes with the help of the twist/loc hair sponge. Online, mostly men and those with short, tapered cuts are using a hair sponge to define their coily hair.
Vloggers and barbers use these
- Twists Hair Sponge, $4.99 on ebeautyusa.com
- Black Ice Magic Twist Sponge, $6.72 on wigtypes.com
- Fresh Loc Sponge, $10 on amazon.com
How to twist your hair with a sponge
- Apply your twisting styling product all over your head at once–we like Darcy’s Botanicals Avocado & Honey Twisting Cream.
- Use sponge and go in a circular motion across your head.
- Add a small dollop sized amount of styling pomade like SheaMoisture Three Butters Styling Pomade to secure the look.
What not to do
- Use it on straight hair. This specific product is meant for naturally textured, coarse hair.
- Use it on dry hair. To avoid breakage from the friction of the sponge material, style with slightly damp hair.
- Press heavily on the hair.
- Spin in different directions. Keep your direction of spinning consistent throughout the entire head.
Watch these tutorials!
Hair sponge hack: make your own
Demi Suave shows you in his video–