6 Must-Read Tips for Your Best Deep Treatment EVER

By January 27th, 2021128 Comments
6 Must-Read Tips for Your Best Deep Treatment EVER

by Amanda Starghill of NaturallyCurly

Deep conditioning is an essential element in which coily hair
thrives. Coily hair requires enriched moisture reinforcements due to its
high potential to experience dryness. Because the circumference of
coily hair is smaller than that of curly hair, the sebum from your scalp
takes longer to travel down the hair shaft. Since sebum takes forever
to get from roots to ends, you need to take measures to avoid dryness
and breakage. Deep conditioners are filled with proteins, lubricants and
oils to help your hair maintain elasticity, prevent breakage and
restore strength. Here are six top tips for deep conditioning and
washing your coils.

Read More!!>>>

1. Use All Natural Conditioner

Deep
conditioning is the time to rejuvinate your hair from manipulation and
weather elements. Selecting a deep conditioner that is
free of
non-soluble silicones,
non-permeable oils and drying alcohols
will allow your hair to absorb
more nutrients and decrease the rate of product build-up. No one wants
to wash their hair just to experience dryness two days later. Natural
conditioners are the best route to prevent decreasing your strand’s
absorption capacity.

2. Look for Behentrimonium Chloride

This cationic surfactant is an awesome lubricant that helps to give
your hair slip as you detangle. Coily hair is bound to become interwine,
especially when activated with water. The last thing you want is to be
excited for wash day, hop in the shower, run water on your hair and
apply a conditioner that doesn’t have any slip. That’s the formula to an
extremely matted mess! Slip is a must. Behentrimonium chloride provides
slip that is equally effective as silicones minus the product build-up.

3. Add Penetrating Oils

Avocado
oil, coconut oil and olive oil are three oils that penetrate the hair
shaft and reach the cortex. Because coily hair has a tendency to dry
out, oils help to slow down the rate of moisture loss. Check out these deep conditioners rich in oils:

4. Be Sure to Look for Hydrolyzed Proteins

Hydrolyzed proteins are proteins that have been altered to seep into the cuticle
and fill in the cortex. They help coily hair to regain strength from
daily wear and tear by replacing proteins that are lost through
manipulation. CurlyNikki’s
Finding Your Perfect Deep Conditioner – The Ultimate Guide is a great reference for a list of hydrolyzed proteins and more information.

5. Use heat

Deep conditioning with a processing cap under a hooded dryer for a
minimum of 15 minutes is just divine. It is possible for your hair to
absorb nutrients from conditioners without confined heat, but it will
take longer. Not only does using heat expand the hair shaft to give the
conditioner more access to seep through, but it also helps certain
ingredients bond to the cuticle.

6. Rinse with Cool water

Rinsing your hair with cool water after deep conditioning helps to
close the cuticle. By rinsing with warm water, you re-open the hair
shaft and possibly lose nutrients that were just put into the hair.

Whenever moisturizing and sealing don’t work and your hair keeps
laughing at your co-wash conditioner, it’s probably time to deep
condition. Your hair thrives when it starts with a good foundation. A
great analogy is your body’s need for hydration. To some, a Coke sounds
great on a hot summer day, but the body is not truly hydrated without
water. Your hair is the same. Product build-up and synthetic ingredients
are like that false sense of hydration. You keep drinking looking to
quench that thirst until you finally drink water. Deep condition your
coils with the best of the best and you will definitely see a
difference.

How often do you deep treat? What’s your process?

This article was originally published on August 2012 and has been updated for grammar and clarity.

• Amanda Yee says:

Great article w/ lots of great insight, though there are a couple of misspelled words: rejuvenate and divine.

• SavanahRae says:

I deep condition with ORS and then wash out with cool water.

• SavanahRae says:

What a schedule!

• Jessica Coletrain says:

I have yet to find a good natural deep conditioner for my hair.

• Derika says:

I deep condition with Olive Oil Replinishing Pak weekly under a hooded dryer. I also prepoo with coconut oil every week but I'm going to stop doing it as much because it makes my hair greasy.

• brenda brown says:

co wash with beautiful textures shampoo with simply u from walmart and moisturize with beautiful textures leave in conditioner oil sealant I use dr miracle growing oil serum its great 2 months of the big chop ans I am loving it.

• Andrea J says:

I prepoo my hair before each wash with conditioner and coconut Oil and I normally skip a dc but last week I used the nothing but intense healing mask and it worked good so I will be using thy for now after I shampoo. I let both my prepoo and dc on for 15-20 mins with a shower cap and towel on my head

• Morgane Bruce♓ says:

I love to deep condish. It's so relaxing! I ususally use my conditioner as a detangler and section my hair into 6 twist.I load on the conditioner, coating all my hair. I let that sit for atleast one hour, if not overnight! I put a showercap on and them I put a satin scarf over it just for some added warmth. Love it! My favorite right now is One 'n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Conditioner from Sallys!

• Morgane Bruce♓ says:

wow deary… that's alot! I used to plan out by each week too. But now I do the same thing but switch up condish with protein treatment..

• ChicaRizada says:

I DC weekly. Recently, I've had great success with Aussie Moist and grapeseed oil left on overnight. My hair is so easy to detangle afterwards, and it's soft, moisturised and has a great sheen!

• Angie B. says:

I deep condition weekly with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. I just use a wide-tooth comb to distribute, put on a plastic cap & warm towel & leave it in for about 30 minutes. It's really helped my hair.

• Blair says:

I deep condition weekly with either Aubrey Organics White Camelia or Aubrey Organics GBP. I usually alternate between the 2 every week. After shampooing or cowashing, I steam for about 30 minutes with the conditioner, rinse, and style. I have tried many, many conditioners from the high end to the low end, and AO conditioners really stand out—they are nice, thick, creamy, and work well with my hair.

• daliah728 says:

I deep condition once a week using Herbal Essences "Hello Hydration" with a little olive oil and honey. I leave it in for about 15-20 mins, rinsing with cool water.

• melorie says:

I condition weekly under my steamer with oil mixed into a condition. I deep condition once a month with Anita Grant Rhassoul Deep Condish mixed with Coconut Milk under my steamer.

• Gwenn4ya says:

I like the comment "my hair laughed at the conditioner". That's exactly what my 4c hair does to certain conditioners. I battle the same thing as some women with tightly coiled hair. It is very hard to keep it moisturized. There are a few stylers that coat my hair for the time being, but not fully moisturize it. I had to learn this that stylers don't moisturize. I know that I need to cowash every few days and shampoo maybe once a month and I also need to deep condition once a week. I cannot miss a week from deep conditioning, and when I do my hair goes dry almost immediately and then I have to start all over again and retrain my hair. I have just experienced this again recently so I am well aware that I need to ensure that deep conditioning and moisture retention is VERY important to keeping my hair healthy. There are alot of things that goes with this. I just hate that with all the things going on with the hair market, it makes it hard to find something that can really work for someone and keep our hair healthy and growing.

• Yvette Osei-Akosa says:

I deep condition every 7 – 10 days in 4 sections. Whatever conditioner I have on hand is what I use, but I'll add olive/coconut oil to it and honey. Leave it in for 2 – 3 hours and that's it.

• Tracy S. says:

I dc weekly by alternating between AOHSR and AOGPB mixed with Vatika Oil. I then don a plastic cap and a winter cap until I am ready for my next step.

• Yolanda Cummings says:

I like to deep condition at least once a week with Jessicurl or Curl Junkie conditioners mixed with honey and olive oil. Normally I'll sit around for an hour or so before rinsing it out.

• tanesha says:

I deep condition once every 2 weeks with the shea moisture deep treatment masque. I don't care for coconut oil at all but my hair looooves olive oil. the only product I use to style my hair is cantu shea butter leave in repair cream. also, my hair is color treated. I've dyed my hair 5 times PERMANENTLY over the course of 1 year and my hair is just as healthy as it wants to be.=]

• Ashley Bates says:

Trader Joes's Tea Tree Tingle every week under the steamer!!! Would love to try My Honey Child especially since its not available here!

• Marilyn L. says:

I dc once a month with a mix of JBCO and Nubian Notion's grow and strengthen conditoner. I leave it in for an hour or overnight

• Elisa says:

I deep condition with any conditioner that I have on hand mixed with olive oil and coconut oil, under the dryer for 30 minutes, or no dryer for an hour or two, or overnight

• liberybella says:

I deep condition with coconut oil every time I wash which is every 3-4 days. May sound a bit much but my low porosity and dryness say different. My hair is absolutely thriving!

• Jameil Nganga says:

I wash at least 3 times a month and deep treat each time!

• Alex is King says:

Once a week! I usually deep condition when I was my hair every week and I use a combination of cheaper conditioners and oils and sit under my steamer or dryer. If I'm able to I try to leave the deep conditioning treatment in overnight. Deep conditioning has been amazing for my hair but I have yet to find a product that really loves my curls 🙁

• Chiemela says:

I deep condition about every two weeks. When i get really busy I can go without for 3 or 4 weeks. At some point I would like to dc weekly, but for now I have neither the time nor the funds for that luxury. I use Dr. Miracle's deep conditioning treatment (NOT the follicle stimulator). Sometimes I use Shea Moisture's deep treatment masque to strengthen if my hair feels weak/frail in addition to being dry. With the Shea Moisture masque I use it prior to shampooing. With the Dr. Miracle's (which is more moisturizing) I use it after shampooing. I usually do everything in four sections.

• amw825 says:

My hair looooooooves hydrolyzed proteins…they leave my hair so supple and moist. #happyhair

• Chels C. says:

Yaasss! I once deep conditioned half the day because I was caught up in school work. Then I tell my friends how long it took to do my hair and I'm like "wait no, 4 hours of that was deep conditioning while doing orgo…"

• Chels C. says:

I deep condition every 1-2 weeks with Silicone Mix Bambu in a plastic cap and old winter beanie (hehe). It detangles my hair like butter and calms my nerves before the few occasions I straighten my hair because I feel like it primes my hair with a nice lil protective barrier before I even get to the heat protectants. Problem is, I don't straighten at all except in the cold months, but this is also the only deep conditioner I have on hand. I'd really prefer to use something more natural that will let my hair breathe in this summer humidity. I've tried curl junki curl rehab (which my hair LOVES), but it's too expensive of a habit for a college student budget. Le sigh…still searching for a good cheap *natural* deep condish :-/

• Pam says:

Every wash day (once a week) I wash in sections with shampoo, then I massage my scalp with Vatika oil and then apply my deep conditioner. I don't use heat just don a plastic cap for about an hour and rinse with cool water.

• Jojo says:

Once a month. Im still in highschool so i dont have to experience,time, or funds to have the perfect process.
    I use mostley things around the house . Honey, egg, banana, olive oil and powdered oatmeal. I love it! Brings my coils to life and the oatmeal soothes my scalp. I warm the honey and wet my hair, then i leave the mix in for about 30 minutes.
    I dont use all the ingredients at once. Depends on my need. Olive oil and honey are always a base, though.

• nigerianprincessXD says:

Oops! Forgot to post my process!;) After I cowash, I DC with my Suave Naturals, honey, and whatever oils I have on hand. I separate my hair into four parts and apply it relaxer style to my hair. Afterwards, I leave it on for a few hours with my plastic cap on. My hair feels oober fabulous afterwards! 🙂

• nigerianprincessXD says:

Testify! lol! 🙂

• nigerianprincessXD says:

I know! So does mine! It feels so soft and fluffy!!!:)

• nigerianprincessXD says:

I DC with every wash. I use Suave Naturals condish. Perfect! 🙂

• Sunflowergurl says:

I DC once a week with Suave Naturals and Rosemary oil.

• C Knox says:

I deep condition once a week with Curl Junkie Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment conditioner (Gardenia-Coconut, that stuff smells amazing) with Arbre de Vie Shea Oil over that. My hair comes out so soft and the shea oil helps reduce my shedding a lot.

• Brianna C. says:

Every single time I shampoo! Lol My hair does better when I take the time to deep condition.

• Tianna says:

Also, I usually deep condition every Sunday.

• Tianna says:

I apply deep conditioner to damp hair and sit under my hair steam. My hair looks awesome afterwards.

• Hilary B. says:

This is so funny 'cause i'm deep conditioning right now (i'm rinsing it out in the morning) lol. I I used Tresemme naturals conditioner as a base (avocado and aloe vera), amla oil (the kind without mineral oil), JBCO, and olive oil. I try to DC at least once every 2 weeks.

• Colleen R. says:

I DC 2x a week since my Big Chop and my hair loves it! I make my own mix using 2 spoons of some Lustrasilk conditioner (I've used the jojoba and the olive oil types so far), 1 spoon of a silicon treatment, and then some honey, evoo, and coconut oil. Mix it up and let it settle for a couple minutes and apply to damp hair. Then I wear a plastic cap (with a knit cap/bonnet to increase the heat…my own college student on a budget technique) for at least an hr and rinse w/ cool H2O.

• Jeanie says:

hey nikki! as a college student my deep conditioning process doubles as study time! i take whatever condish im using at the time and apply to my entire head and don a plastic cap.i then take a warm towel and pin it on my head and leave on while i begin my assignment!!

• Leslie says:

I usually deep condition every 1 to 2 weeks. I use pure coconut oil along w/ Shea Moisture Masque(gold label) and leave it on for 30 minutes and then i co-wash with Aubry Organics or with Giovanni Direct leave in. I just bought some Trader Joes conditioner and i'm anxious to co-wash with it!

• Alicia Brooks says:

I feel like I'm one of 10 people that doesn't care for coconut oil very much, but I may give it another shot for deep conditioning purposes. Its so messy. Great post!

• Carr says:

This post is great! Now I can't wait to try heat with my upcoming deep conditioner treatments!! Thanks CN!

• NewlyNina says:

My DT reggie is weekly. I baggy over night w/ Aussie 3 Min Miracle or Dax Roots Mayo and rinse in the am with cool water.

• Miss Anne says:

I deep condition everytime I wash with Olive oil and my fav conditioner – Yes to Carrots. sometimes I alternate between EVOO and EVCO.

I also use Aussie 3 minute miracle for a snappy DC and love it! smells divine too and lingers on for about 2 days!

Great post… as always 🙂

• Davina W. says:

I do a deep treatment once a month. I use Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and olive oil, put on a shower cap, leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then rinse out. Thanks!

• Winnie says:

i deep treat weekly with cantu shea leave in mixed with castor oil, vatika and honey. i leave it overnight in a plastic cap and warm winter hat then wash in the morning.

• Fadekemi says:

Well as a new transition-er and natural curl girl, I have planned a 4 weeks hair cycle system
    1st/week cycle

Shampoo then deep condition with smoothie treatment for about two to three hours

Smoothie treatment – Avocado, banana, eggs, honey, olive
    oil, coconut milk and my normal conditioner as base

2nd/week cycle

Co-washing – Henna conditioning mix below for the whole night

Henna mix conditioner – Henna, coconut milk (optional),
    olive oil, honey, conditioner (protein free) and one bag of black/green tea
    (increase bags as your hair gets longer).

Deep condition with regular conditioner and continue with co-washing

3rd/week cycle

Hot oil treatment mix below for about two hours

Olive oil, tea tree oil and coconut oil Then shampoo and detangle with conditioner

4th/week cycle

Co-washing with deep condition mix for about two hours

Condition mix – Protein conditioner,
    olive oil, honey, tea tree oil and coconut oil

Detangle condition

• Che says:

Every 5-7 days, with 8 sections, with Organicals Deep Conditioning Cream, fingers wide tooth comb=love and happiness

• Taye says:

I alternate deep conditioning with protein treatments every week. I apply my deep conditioner to co-washed hair and then sit under the steamer for 20 minutes. I then let my hair cool for 10-15 minutes then rinse with cool water.

• Mars Bar says:

I used to be very diligent with deep conditioning but I have fallen off. Using heat really does help and make a difference in making the DC really sink into my hair. I have been looking for a good conditioner. I really want to try the Olive You and I hope that I win. Thanks Nikki for sponsoring the giveaway.

• Ondria says:

I am transitioning and find that deep conditioning at least one time per week is a necessity to prevent breakage and minimize dryness.

• Jasmine says:

I try to deep condition once a week. I usually leave it on with a plastic cap for a couple of hours. I still haven't found a deep conditioner that I really like so I'm interested in the Olive You

• Michelle says:

I use coconut oil as a pre-poo and then if I have time, use heat for my deep conditioner in the form of the steamer or under a plastic cap for a couple of hours or a plastic cap underneath the dryer.

• Alwina Oyewoleturner says:

For more info on pascalite clay, check out www.pascalite.com and there is one YouTube video on pascalite. I use the young lady's suggestions for what to add, which are raw honey, green tea, aloe Vera juice and coconut oil (any oil can be used like grapeseed).

• Thetruthisoutthere says:

Has anyone tried the As-I-Am Naturally Hydration Elation? I purchased it at Sallys and thought is was only 'meh' as a deep conditioner – that is until I used it one day after a Henna treatment. Wowzers – henna/indigo usually makes my hair wretchedly dry, but this little scoopful of stuff smoothed it out and left it less snarled and tangled immediately!

It's pricey at $16.00/8oz, but I am surrsley considering repurchase for my post-henna care when my jar is empty!

• Alwina Oyewoleturner says:

I deep treat/condition at least twice a month, when I put my mini twists in for two weeks. Sometimes I also DC with my twists in when I co-wash. My process varies. Sometimes I use Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe for a few minutes in the shower or some other quick DC treatment; other times I do a more intense DC maybe with coconut oil and use my HairTherapy Wrap. The latest treatment is Pascalite clay, which is a combo of shampoo, detox & DC; end result is super clean and soft hair.

• amr0125 says:

Like a lot of other ladies here, I deep condition once a week with oyin's honey hemp conditioner with a little added coconut oil and honey after I shampoo with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar. I have noticed a serious improvement in my hair's softness after adding honey to my DC, and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to add a bit more oomf to their strands.

• Shayla Smith says:

I'm a once a week deep conditioning girl myself. I like adding heat, but I still haven't found the perfect deep conditioner or combination of deep conditioner and oils :(.

• Mimi says:

I deep condition once a week after shampooing. My go-to DC is usually a homemade recipe of coconut milk, coconut oil and honey; sometimes I'll doctor up a store-bought conditioner with some olive oil and honey too. Or I just use some Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery or Super Sweetback Treatment if I don't feel like making my own. I wrap my head with a plastic bag and leave the DC in for at least three hours, and sometimes overnight before rinsing with cool water.

• Cort Robinson says:

I live for water and olive oil. For many years, before I found many of the famous YT channels and this most wonderful blog, all I knew to use was water to hydrate and an oil to seal. I've since learned about sulfate-free shampoos and moisturizing conditioners and leave-in conditioners. I use them all on my hair and my teenage (step)daughter who now has relaxer-free hair also uses the same. She has learned to manipulate her hair and is coming to love it. Her mom used to relax her hair and it was hard and brittle and broke off and burned her scalp and was just an overall bad experience for her. But after all this time her hair, when straightened, is shoulder length which is a vast improvement over what it was. I just have to keep after her to continually, consistently, regularly moisturize her hair as her texture is courser than mine and she needs to moisturize daily whereas I can get away with a couple times a week. I just thought I'd share our lil $0.02 journey. It's so much fun to learn about what God has given us and works for us individually. This is such an awesome journey. Thanks for helping us along it, CN. 🙂

• Mel says:

I don't deep condition as often as I would like to because 1) I don't know what to use and 2) I don't know what to use!! Reading this article and the comments will definitely help me to make an informed decision. Thanks

• Nia_J says:

I deep treat weekly or bi-weekly using extra virgin olive oil. At night, I detangle, shampoo, apply oil, & let it sit overnight. I rinse and style the next day.

• Jenn says:

I deep condition once per week; right now I'm using the Camilla Rose Deep Conditioner but I'm still on the search for the "perfect one". Whatever I use, I mix it with a combo of jojoba oil, coconut oil and/or avacado oil. I try to sit under a dryer every time…but some times, I just plastic cap it and go on my way until I rinse.
    P.S. Thanks for another great giveaway, Nik!

• Yoruba Mutakabbir says:

I'm pretty simple. I use the beautiful textures rapid repair deep conditioner. I leave it on under a shower cap for 25 minutes. If it were winter, I would sit under the dryer. But I try not to use a dryer during the summer months. I do this every 1-2 weeks after I shampoo.

• Meika Sterling says:

girl me and you both! i love coconut oil!

• Meika Sterling says:

How ironic that this post is up….i am deep conditioning at work as we speak! I used the palmers olive oil deep conditioning pack that i got in my curl box and put it on my hair this morning. Then i covered my hair with a plastic shower cap and a silk scarf as protection. After that i put on a second scarf as a style and then off to work i go! When i go home tonite I am going to add coconut oil to my hair and then steam and let it sit for an hour and then finally wash it out. I usually deep conditon every time i wash my hair and usually deep condition with what i have on hand. i am currently looking for a staple deep conditioner that will give my hair the moisture that it needs.

• Sydney says:

Oh Cholesterol! I definitely remember using it during my relaxer days. I want to revisit- as it's pretty cost effective. I wonder how my natural hair will like it. Thanks for the tip!

• Ayana Rickards says:

What a great post!!!
    I DC once a week. First, I mix

• DecemberPumpkin says:

tip #3 I was like yes coconut oil and I are bffs lol

• Teresa W. says:

I DC weekly after shampooing or overnight if my hair needs extra moisture. Usually just with a plastic cap and turban towel but I really should use the steamer more often! I still have not fell in love with a DC yet so I am using whatever I have left over from PJ urges mixed with various oils!

• charlene says:

i usually deep condition every time with a moisturizing conditioner. once a month, now, I also will use a protein conditioner. After I deep condition, I sleep overnight with shea moisture raw shea treatment on my hair as a leave in conditioner.

• tantay greene says:

I deep condition every 2 weeks with a mixture of avocado, olive oil, castor oil, coconut milk, trader joe's nourish spa conditioner and honey. I usually let it sit on my hair for 20mins with a plastic bag covering my hair and then I rinse with cool water.

• Catherine Wallace says:

i love deep conditioning my hair; it's so shiny and healthy looking afterwards. I use a mixture of honey, olive oil and whatever conditioner I have in the shower. I put a plastic bag on my head and leave that on for an hour, i try to do this once a week. I've tried lots of deep conditioners, but most leave my hair looking exactly the way it did before. For me, my honey mixture is the only thing that gives consistant results.

• Sydney says:

My hair is happiest if I deep condition once a week. At the most, I can stretch it to 2weeks but I shouldn't. I use Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery which I have used for 5 years now and LOVE LOVE LOVE! It is expensive but I haven't found anything that my hair loves more. I will either put it in and don a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 15-30min or I'll sit under my heutiful hair steamer for 2 full sessions (sitting forward and then sitting backwards so my whole head is nicely steamed. Both techniques "reset" my hair and make it super manageable. When I'm super lazy or it's too late to twist, I'll sleep in my DT which also yields super soft hair.

• Curly Chef Robin says:

I deep condition (DC) 1X per week. I use a mixture of Shea Moisture Balancing conditioner (great for my excema), Trader Joe's Nourish Spa condish, evoo, evco and honey. I sit under the dryer for 20-30 minutes, rinse with cool water and style! Sometimes I do a protein treatment with egg, mayo (maybe some yogurt or coconut milk) and honey. I love it!

• Traci says:

At least once a week I apply coconut oil to my dry hair and either leave it in overnight or at least 1-2 hours before deep conditioning. I literally just ran out of my deep conditioner, Elasta QP DPR 11+, o Saturday. My Honey Child's Olive You has been on my list of deep conditioners to try so I hope I am lucky enough to win it. Feel so blessed to have discovered your site, and my hair has truly changed in a dramatic way over the past year. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the awesome information you provide.

• Afrikan Latina says:

I DC once a week usually overnight with a plastic cap. Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque mixed with coconut oil has been my go to dc for a while so it would be nice to try something new 🙂

• Catherine says:

I deep condition once a week before I wash my hair. I use Aubrey Organics HSR, put on a plastic cap and leave it in for a few hours or overnight and when I rinse it out my hair feels like BUTTER.

• Adele says:

I dc 1x a week the night before I wash. I add a mix of alma oil, Vatika, and Brahmi oil to my scalp. Then I add castor oil to my hair and edges. If I don't use castor oil, my scalp starts to hurt. Then I put a plastic cap on my head and leave it on overnight. My hair is soft, well moisturizer, and since I don't re wet my hair over and over,looks good for a week.

• Kim Barfield says:

I DC 2-4 times a month, depending on the time of year, with Aubrey Organics Honeysucklerose mixed with honey and olive oil. I have been using this for the past two years. I would love to try another conditioner that will make my hair softer.

• Netta says:

I second this! I've tried mixing conditioner with oils, eggs, etc. I've never had a relaxer so I can't relate there, but that cholesterol conditioner gives my hair LIFE!!! I do it twice a month, with a plastic cap, wrapped in my Turbie Twistie lol.

• Joyce says:

I deep treat once a week with conditioner tricked out with oils and honey. I've used yogurt before too. I'd love to try the My Honey Child conditioner! Thank you :0)

• mangomadness says:

To clarify — I deep condition on dry hair prior to shampooing.

• Nikki T says:

I deep condition weekly using a plastic cap. I've tried Curl Junkie, Bee Mine, Darcy's Botanicals…but you will never guess my favorite! Remember LeKair Cholesterol (my relaxer days)!?! My hair loves it! It has just the right amount of protein too!

• Descriptdds says:

I don't DC nearly enough because I haven't found the perfect one for me yet. I'm a student and they all seem so expensive or, if i do consider buying them, i fear i'll literally be washing $$ down the drain. would love to try yours nikki– finally getting my hands on a tried-and-true, good deep conditioner would give me the courage to bite the bullet and buy! lord knows my hair needs it.

• mangomadness says:

I deep condition weekly. First, I section my stretched hair into 12 parts. Then, section-by-section, I apply coconut oil, finger-detange, apply deep conditioner and do a two-strand twist. Finally, I cover my hair with a plastic conditioning cap/hair turban combo and let the conditioner do its magic overnight. My favorite deep conditioners are Shea Moisture Purification Masque and my DIY Aloe-Castor Hair Mask (Lily of the Dessert aloe vera gel & castor oil).

• Esther Komolafe says:

I deep conditon once a week with honey and olive oil and put a shower cap on for 30 minutes. It makes my hair soft but then the next day it becomes very dry. So I would really love to try the My Honey Child's OliveYou.

• kwnatural says:

I didn't always DC because my hair always felt pretty good – I contributed the softness to leaving conditioner in my hair. I liked the way my hair felt after using a protein treatment in it, so I now want to DC weekly with egg, mayo and honey. I am hoping it will help me avoid shedding issues as the weather changes into fall.

• nycharles says:

I try to deep condition and steam weekly using either Curl Junkie or a mix of mayo, avacado, honey, olive oil. Works wonders for my hair!!

• Ms. Michelle says:

I dc about every two weeks with raw honey and evoo, makes my hair soft.

• Madison says:

I like to make my own! I blend a mix of avocado, banana, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, honey & molasses- depending on what's in my kitchen. If I don't feel like mixing I use Curl Junkie Curl Rehab or Aubrey Organics GPB. Deep conditioning is hands-down the most important part of my hair regimen. I do it every week without fail.

• Gaye Glasspie says:

I have to get back on my game..but I usually jazz up a conditioner with a little EVOO and Honey. I apply and leave in for an hour. I usually put on a plastic cap and then cover with a warm towel

• 5naturals says:

I dc every other week. I tried SM curl enhancing smoothie as a dc after reading that it could be used that way, and it came out awesome. I microwaved a wet turban, placed on my head, tied a bag over it and sat under my dryer for an hour. I was amazed at how soft and moisturized my hair turned out.

• Brenda Smith says:

I dc once a week but I have been having a hard time finding a dc that really works.

• Pennie Cuevas says:

I try to DC weekly after I shampoo. I use a mixture of avocado, coconut milk, and olive oil, sometimes with coconut oil (and cornstarch to thicken). I'd like to get a bonnet dryer and sit under it, but maybe when the kids are older 😉

• BajanRhonda says:

Thank you, because i just started using the Vatika coconut oil with my Shea moisture deep conditioner. Love Jessiecurl weekly deep conditioner but have not replenish because i am trying to use up what i have…..would love to try My Honey Child!!

• Yasmin says:

I deep condition once a week after I shampoo my hair. I dont really have a long or fancy process, I just use a regular deep conditioner that I can find locally (usually Aubrey Organics products) + olive or coconut oil. Leave it on for 20 minutes while sitting under hooded dryer, and then rinse.

• Ashley says:

I deep condition weekly (unless my hair is protected w/ micros or mini-twists) and my favorite is actually the Organic Root Stimulator Deep Conditioner.. I would love to try the Honey Child! 🙂

• Miche'al says:

I have used oils and love the way they make my hair feel!!!!!

• prieta says:

I deep condition everytime I wash or co-wash. I co-wash every 2-3 days and wash with sulfate-free shampoo once a week. I deep condition with any intensive conditioner I have on hand. They usually leave my hair feeling like butter. Very soft! Then I style.

• Destani Bizune says:

i try to deep condition twice a month. i love curl rehab's banan & hibiscus deep conditioner. it smells amazing! if i'm using a cheaper conditioner like aussie moist then i also add some coconut oil (best oil ever!). i detangle in 4 sections, put on a shower cap, leave in for 20 min-1 hr, and then rinse with cold water. i'm saving up to by a hair steamer so i can add "heat" to my regimen.

• Monica S. says:

I deep condition once a week. I mostly use Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque however I haven't been having great results lately. I've actually been researching the Myhoneychild's Olive You so I'd LOVE to be the winner! Thanks.

• Megan M. says:

I deep treat once every two weeks which is my wash day, so everytime I wash my hair. I either use coconut oil or olive oil or sometimes even my Aubrey organics HSR conditioner on dry hair overnight. I put on a processing cap on with my satin scarf and my satin bonnet. Sometimes I put my knitted hat on I wear in the winter over my bonnet to create extra heat because I do not own a bonnet dryer. My hair been loving this way for years and it works pretty darn good. I just wash and condition as usual after with a conditioner that has MEGA slip! Excellent article thanks.

• JessNYC says:

Deep condition during each wash (1x per week)! I pre-poo the night before, wash following morning, and apply Toqu Magico Emergencia treatment while I steam for 20 mins or so.

• Brandy says:

Hey Nikki,

I deep condition weekly with Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque and EEOV. I've found that my fine strands are healthier when I keep up this practice. Following my deep treatment, I rinse with cool water.

• Kudos says:

I started dc'ing once a week, it's a mix of Tressemme Naturals, ayurvedic herbs, honey, and coconut oil on dry hair. Put on a shower/conditioning cap, wrap that goodness all up and go for a run. 🙂 Multitasking!

• Anike Clark McKoy says:

Thank you for this post. I just started deep conditioning again last week because my hair has been getting pretty dry and brittle lately. My hair is so tightly coiled and definitely needs it. My plan is to start deep conditioning after every wash, which is about every 2 weeks. I think my hair will thank me for it. I'm starting to co-wash again, perhaps once or twice a week (whatever I have time for these days). Should I deep condition on these days too?

• joi says:

I only recently started deep conditioning and i only do it once a month and really want to try the steamer dryer one day

• Venita Davis says:

I have not been dc'ing and i think that may be why my hair is so dry. St. Louis has had a horrible summer this year with the heat and it's been really difficult trying to keep my hair from feeling like straw! So I just got my Thermal Wrap turban in the mail and I'm going to start deep conditioning stat!!!! My hair needs some help.

• Carla says:

I'm on a once a week role with deep conditioning 🙂

• Carr says:

I deep condition every time I wash with shampoo which is once a month, or co-wash which happens every Friday! My hair loves me for it! I use Aubrey Organics and sometimes with much guilt, deep conditioners which contain silicone's which are not water soluble. :(. I try to stay away from protein, limiting my use to every 2 months. It has worked so far. I really need to incorporate more heat, but for now, I use my natural body heat for a few hours on end and steam from the shower. I have found that letting my hair steam with every shower, every day also works! It's my daily moisturizing method which I sometimes follow through with a water based moisturizer and light oil — mostly olive oil! Thanks for your post CN!

• nikkinukka1 says:

i DC once a week. first i spray my scalp with some coconut and jojoba oil and massage that thru and then apply Chocolatio or Nuunat Chocolate Mask i sit with a plastic cap and put my turbie twist on top and sit for an hour and then rinse with cold water-seriously COLD water. my hair is ridiculously soft and my fingers glide thru with not ONE snag. love that stuff!!!!!!

• Stania Antoine says:

I deep condition once a week. Normally, I mist my hair lightly and finger detangle with coconut oil the day before and twist my hair into six sections. Then i lightly spritz my hair with water the next day, or whenever I decide to wash it, place the deep conditioner on top of that, and do whatever I need to do with a processing cap on until i feel the conditioner has been in my hair long enough lol. Then just rinse and wash as usual with the twists still in my head. Somehow, by deep conditioning and steaming my hair before, my hair is much softer than when I used to deep condition after shampooing. Also my hair retains moisture A LOT LONGER lol.

• Myah S. says:

I first began by deep conditioning my hair every week to now only every other week. I actually use a deep conditioner recipe I found here on curly nikki. I use "Yes to Carrots" with honey, olive oil, and coconut oil. It does a decent job but I am having the hardest time finding the perfect deep conditioner without going broke. I have heard great reviews on "My Honey Child's OliveYou", but when I went to purchase it online they where sold out.

• shantrell hines says:

I deep condition once a week. I basically mixed hair mayo, and olive oil together and sleep with it on. In the morning I rinse and style my hair!

• Petra says:

Great article, especially the hydrolized protein part.. cant live without em!

• Breanna W says:

I deep treat once a week. I've been using the same conditioner for a couple of months and am constantly wandering if I've found the right one. Does it have enough slip? Is my hair really soft? But, I'm starting to think picking the right conditioners is like having an orgasm. If you're not sure if you've had one, you haven't!

Currently, I am trying to find the best routine for me. Last night, I washed, sprayed gyclerine (thought it might help my hair absorb the conditioner), apply my leave in conditioner for about 6 hours, seal the ends with coconut oil, rinse with cool water, detangle and twist

• Danielle says:

I deep condition once a week with shea moisture's restorative conditioner and my steamer.

• GoGoKnows says:

Still looking for a really good deep conditioner, but until then I will just keep adding olive oil and honey to Herbal Essence…. I am going to go revisit Nikki's list right now!!!

• Mrs. TDot says:

I've tried everything from deep conditioning overnight (which I LOVE for the moisture benefits but I'm not a big fan of wet hair in the mornings), shampooing, deep conditioning under a hooded dryer, then hopping BACK into the shower to rinse (dont' care for that at all lol), and even the BeHeutiful Hair Steamer (which I feel my hair has outgrown =). Most recently I have adopted a new regimen that allows me to deep condition my hair regularly with ease. I find that deep conditioning once weekly on Tuesdays works best for me because I can incorporate it into my workout routine. I will section my hair in 4 sections, warm my scalp oil blend and massage my scalp for a little, then add warm olive oil to the length of my hair, followed by my deep conditioner of choice (concentrated on my ends). I will then put on a plastic cap (usually a grocery bag), followed by a winter hat, followed by a head scarf, and then I will proceed to work out for 30 minutes. This method allows me to use my own body heat to naturally "steam my hair". After letting my hair rest free (cool) for about 10-15 minutes, I hop in the shower and shampoo with a mild shampoo and then follow up with a conditioner. Get out, apply olive oil and then leave in/moisturizer (LOC method) and rock a low bun for about 2 days to stretch my hair.

• keisha says:

i love to deep condition my hair! it needs pampering and it's just one of the ways of loving her!

• datfynn says:

i try to deep condition at every two weeks but sometimes life gets in the way. i mix neutrogena's triple moisture max, vitamin e oil,coconut oil, a little bit of aloe vera gel and herbal essence hello hydration. i put it in my hair, cover with a plastic bag and usually sleep in it and wash out the next day.

• Sylvia Heggins says:

Great article! I deep condition every 2-3 weeks and I will try it with some olive oil next time to see if that makes a difference.

• Jessica D says: