Yikes! I’m super late to class and it’s only the first week of college! I heard my professor precisely locks the door at 8 am and I refuse to get dropped from my English class. I’ve got fifteen minutes to make it to class on time and not get embarrassed. That means 3 min to brush my teeth and throw water on my face, 2 min to dress, 5 min to do something with my hair, and 5 min to scurry through first-year freshmen with maps. Wait a minute…five minutes to do my hair? The same hair I haphazardly slept on because I was too tired to do anything thing with? Yes, it’s time for a hot bun without looking like a hot mess.
Messy Bun on Short Hair
Erica has a great video on how to do the messy bun that could work on any length. She works that messy bun quickly and perfectly with little improvising. She uses Eco Styler Gel, Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in Conditioner. Before you know it you will be out of your dorm room and off to class in a flash.
You Will Need:
- 6 bobby pins
- a head band
- 2 hair ties
- Part your hair into 2 parts
- Secure it in the front, take the back section and secure it with an elastic hair tie.
- Take the front half, combine it with the back section and secure that with an elastic.
- Loosely pin your hair in different sections starting from the back and then create your top knot.
- You can either use elastics to keep your baby hair down, or slick it down with edge tamer.
Simple Low Faux Bun
You Will Need:
- silk scarf
- alcohol free gel
- ouchless hair bands
- braided weave
- bobby pins
- Start with dry, semi stretched hair.
- Add moisturizer and brush it in, working to smooth down your crown area.
- Smooth on alcohol free gel.
- Tie your hair back with an ouchless band into a small bun.
- Ad a silk scarf to lay down your edges and flyaways.
- Using a weave ponytail that’s already braided, wrap it around the bun clockwise.
- Tuck in the weave with bobby pins to make sure it’s clean.
AskpRoy shows us how to get a gorgeous top knot bun within minutes and with only a few headbands and some bobby pins. This style is definitely for the late natural who doesn’t even have time to add product to her hair. Yes, it can be that way sometimes. Those extra headbands are super cute but they serve a purpose of getting those flyaways under control instead of using gel. You are rocking the perfect top knot within minutes!
- Start with textured hair.
- Part it front and back, and secure the back with a hair tie.
- Take the front half of your hair and combine it with the back section to make one big ponytail on top of your head. Secure it with a hair tie.
- Loosely pin your hair in different sections starting in the back.
- Wrap it around to create a big top knot.
- Use the two hair bands to keep your edges down without any product.
Low and Simple
Yes, the banana clip has resurfaced and for good reason, as it gives an elegant yet quick look that will have you out the door within minutes. MsRosieVelt sprays some water, applies Creme of Nature with Argan Oil Perfect Edges, and uses a Denman brush to help smooth her hair back into a low ponytail. If you have ultra-thick hair I suggest purchasing a better quality banana clip, as the cheaper one pop open with little to no effort. You could stop there or you could do like Rosie and pin it up to make an elegant protective style.
- Start with stretched hair that has been moisturized and sealed with the LOC method.
- Spritz your hair with water to smooth it back in place.
- Use your hands to smooth some edge control gel to provide light hold.
- Use a denman brush to smooth the hair back even further and create a low ponytail.
- Hold all your hair with one hand and open the banana clip with another hand.
- Secure the hair with a banana clip.
- Take the ends of your hair and twirl them around, tucking under to preserve your ends.
- Pin it with bobby pins to create a protective style.
High and Simple
All you need are two headbands and an afro pick for this super quick, super big messy top bun for the medium to long-haired naturals. Raven Tiffanee’ uses no product and just places the first headband on and then picks out her hair to achieve extra volume. She then places the second headband over the top and captures the hair into a big bun. Tuck all the extra hairs in and you have a messy top bun that will have you out the door within minutes.
- Make a puff and place it high on top of your head.
- Secure it with the first head band.
- Use the pick to pick your hair for volume, and the fluff the hair on top.
- Use the second head band to wrap over your puff.
- Tuck the hair that sticks out into the head band.
Allthatsgold achieves this super quick look with minimal tools and products. Water, Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel, a brush, bobby pins, and an ouchless rubber band gets you all glammed and out the door within minutes. This is perfect if you are not trying to look like you just rolled out of the bed (even if you did!).
- Spray your hair with water.
- Brush hair back to make it as sleek as possible.
- Use edge tamer to smooth flyaways.
- Secure your hair into a low ponytail with a hair tie.
- Instead of leaving hair out, tuck the ponytail into a bun.
- Tuck any remaining pieces with bobby pins.
What’s your quick go-to style?