There are lots of ways nature can help you get your best curls. One of the best nature has to offer is flaxseed. Perfect for natural hair for a variety of reasons from helping to keep the scalp healthy to making hair stronger, a DIY flaxseed hair gel is a favorite among naturals looking for an at-home solution with great hold and moisturizing properties. This quick, homemade recipe can promote hair growth, give curls shine and definition, and provide nourishing Omega 3, as well as be extremely cost-effective. With so many benefits rolled into one, this is a must-try recipe for all aspiring Curly Mixologists!
What You’ll Need
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup of flax seed, depending on how thick you want it to be
- 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel (optional)
- 3 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Strainer (fine mesh)
- Wooden spoon
- Bowl or air tight container
How to Make It
- Pour 2 cups of water and flax seed into a pot, on low/medium bring it to a boil stirring flax seed often, and gently, with the spoon.
- Turn off heat when a white frothy gel like liquid forms (it will have a raw egg white consistency).
- Continue stirring while it simmers. Put the strainer on top of your bowl or container and pour the mixture in.
- Let it cool down, and, if you want to, add aloe gel and essential oil.
- Keep the leftover flaxseeds in a ziplock bag for another use or two!
Applying the Gel
- Use this DIY flaxseed hair gel while hair is clean and damp to wet. It may have a “goopy” consistency, so you may have to “play” with your recipe a bit by adding or lessening the amount of flax seed as you create it.
- Place the rest of the gel in an airtight container. The shelf life is 12-14 days in the refrigerator. Put the used flax seeds in a container in the fridge so that you can reuse them.
Our Top Tips
If your curls need moisture-
*You can add EVOO to your mix for a more nourishing gel
If your gel is too thin-
*Try adding a bit more flaxseed to your next batch of DIY flaxseed hair gel
*Add a touch of honey
*Or experiment with a teaspoon of xanthum gum for a thickener
If your gel smells-
*Adding a favorite essential oil can enhance the smell of your gel, and your hair