by Mary Wolff
We talk a lot about heat and how it affects our curls. While we know heat in the air can cause frizz, and over styling with heat leads to damage, what about the pros and cons of using heat caps? You have probably heard about heat caps already. If you are wondering if this is a method you should try for your curls, let’s take a closer look at some of the pros and cons of using heat caps.
- Dry hair faster. A heat cap is a great way to dry your hair. It is like a blow dryer you wear on your head!
- Set your style. Heat caps can help you set your style. It is especially useful if you’re trying to lock in moisture and set your style at the same time.
- Cheaper than steamer. A heat cap is more affordable than a steamer. A heat cap can range from $20 to $40 while a steamer can cost anywhere from $60 to $120.
- Great for special treatments. A heat cap is perfect for hot oil treatments to seal strands, as well as doing deep conditioning masks. The heat will help open up the cuticle to allow a deeper penetration into strands.
- Helps with scalp circulation. Heat naturally encourages circulation in the body. When your scalp has proper circulation, it will be healthier in terms of hair growth and distribution of natural oils.
- Time. Using a heat cap isn’t a quick fix. It takes anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes, depending on the model and your hair type. While they are fine for wearing during a deep conditioning treatment, this time frame might not work with your daily routine as a drying method.
- Potentially damaging to hair. There is no denying that heat can be drying and damaging to strands. With a heat cap, heat is applied directly to your strands which is fine, as long as you don’t overdo it. Use the heat cap sparingly, no more than once a week. The key is to protect your strands against heat damage with deep conditioning!
The bottom line is that heat caps can give your hair the benefits of heat without being too damaging like a flat iron or curling wand. It is an optional accessory for curlies, but could benefit your curls!