Although summer is semi cancelled due to the coronavirus, we’re still determined to celebrate our skin. After all, what’s summer without a sunkissed glow? If you’re struggling or have struggled in the past with loving your skin, you’re not alone. Great-looking skin that looks and feels healthy is not an overnight accomplishment—it takes lots of time and dedication to get it right. The good news though, is that we can help!
● Cleanse. It’s a no-brainer that healthy skin starts with clean skin. However, if you’re suffering from dry and sensitive skin, you might want to check that your soap and water aren’t too harsh! Swap out your normal cleanser for something more gentle and natural.
● Exfoliate. Use a gentle exfoliator. This can be a product with tiny grains or a brush. While exfoliating is great for improving your complexion and the texture of your skin, too much can cause irritation. Exfoliating should be done sparingly and with a light hand to avoid triggering irritation, bruising, or hyperpigmentation.
● Hydrate and moisturize. The key to happy, glowing skin is hydration and this starts from the inside by drinking lots of water! Along with getting your daily water intake, be sure to moisturize with a clean body butter or lotion to keep your skin nourished and hydrated.
● Massage. Great circulation encourages our skin to have that glow about it. So take your time by giving yourself a mini massage while applying products.
● Relax. Life stress can cause us to carry worry in our shoulders, abdomen, face, but it can even appear as rashes and dry patches on our skin. We know it can be difficult, but try to chill out and let your good vibes turn into glowing skin.
Our Favorite Products for Glowing Skin
Our skin is, in fact, the largest organ in our body and skincare extends beyond our face and neck. Start your daily routine by refreshing your skin. We’re loving Zesty Morning Organic Body Wash by Organic Bath Co. It’s incredibly moisturizing and formulated without sulfates.
After we’re done luxuriating in the bath, we’re reintroducing moisture with Hunnybunny’s Apricot Body Butter. We like switching things up so we’re also using a Sweet Vanilla Whipped Body Butter by Urban Serenite. These black owned body butters are completely void of artificial ingredients, toxic preservatives, and heavy additives.
It should go without saying but sunscreen and moisturizer should be your best friend, especially during the summer months. Our favorite go-to organic sunscreen is by Black Girl Sunscreen. Their SPF 30 formula is made for people of color.
For overnight skin repair and hydration, we recommend Nourish Night Face Balm by Organic Bath Co. It contains a loving mix of organic shea and mango butters, and a beautiful blend of jojoba, rosehip, prickly pear seed, tamanu and green coffee oil.
Safety is the name of the game this summer. However, excessive hand washing can lead to dry and chapped skin. We’re repairing and soothing our hands with Karité Shea Butter’s Crème Mains hand cream. Their palm oil-based formula is sustainably sourced and supports the livelihood of rural African women and their communities.
This summer we’re about to be glistening from head to toe—yes, to our literal toes! That’s why our summer beauty routine also includes a nourishing foot butter by Naturally London. Cracked heels and ashy toes are a no-no during flip flops and sandals season.
Now that you know the tea on how to have radiant skin, we want to know which items are part of your summer glow up beauty routine? Let us know and be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for clean beauty tips!