Flaxseed Oil for Curly Hair – 4 Amazing Benefits
By Jacqueline Samaroo
Many naturalistas have been singing the praises of flaxseed oil for curly hair for quite some time now. That’s not surprising, really, since flaxseed is one of the best-known superfoods.
What do superfoods do for your body? Superfoods are nutrient-dense foods. They provide an array of nutrients in higher quantities than most other foods. Your body uses these nutrients to keep you healthy.
However, some superfoods go the extra mile. They are good for your body inside and out. You can enjoy them as a part of your diet. You can also use these superfoods for hair and skin care.
Flaxseed is a perfect example of the benefits of superfoods for hair growth. Using flaxseed oil for curly hair care is a natural way to boost your hair care routine.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
- Flaxseed Oil – What Is It + Health Benefits
- Benefits of Flaxseed Oil for Curly Hair
For more articles featuring ingredients for natural curly hair care, read:
- Neem Oil – 6 Wonderful Facts about This Curly Haircare Ingredient
- Curly Haircare: How Does Almond Oil Help In Hair Growth? 5 Wonderful Benefits
- 5 Amazing Caviar Benefits for Skin and Hair Care
- Rice Water Rinse for Curly Hair: What Is It, Benefits, and 3 EASY Rice Water Recipes
Also, be sure to check out our in-depth series on hair butters!
Flaxseed Oil – What Is It + Health Benefits
Flaxseed oil is also known as linseed oil or simply flax oil. It has a nutty flavor and varies in color from yellowish to colorless. Flaxseed oil can be used as a cooking oil. It is also sold as a dietary supplement, often as softgels.
Nutrient Content of Flaxseed Oil
When we ask “What do superfoods do for your body?” the answer really depends on which superfood we’re talking about. The biggest nutritional advantage of flaxseed oil is the large amount of omega-3 fatty acids it contains.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are known to be a heart-healthy nutrients.
- Omega-3s can also decrease inflammation in the body, as well as assist with alleviating joint pain.
- They are also thought to play a role in preventing and treating depression, as well as other mood disorders.
- Other mental health conditions, such as Alzheimer’s and ADHA are also thought to be improved by a diet rich in omega-3s or by omega-3 supplementation.
Omega-3 fatty acids also have definite positive impacts on the health of your skin (including scalp skin) and hair. Those wonderful benefits are up next!
4 Benefits of Flaxseed Oil for Curly Hair
1. Flaxseed oil may help to treat the symptoms of dry scalp.
Apart from dryness, other symptoms of dry scalp include redness, itching, and irritation. There have been studies showing the ability of omega-3s to moisturize the skin. They improve the skin’s function as a barrier, sealing in moisture and preventing dryness.
2. Flaxseed oil may help to prevent or alleviate some skin conditions.
Because of their ability to reduce inflammation, omega-3 fatty acids are thought to be beneficial to those suffering from acne and similar skin conditions. Creating healthier skin, and in particular, healthier scalp skin, contributes to healthier hair growth.
3. Flaxseed oil may offer some sun protection.
Research has shown that omega-3s can play a role in preventing the damage caused by UV rays. It is thought to reduce skin sensitivity and lower the risk of sunburn.
4. Flaxseed oil softens hair and fights frizz.
Many curly hair and natural hair care products use flaxseed oil for its frizz-fighting ability. It softens and smoothes the hair while sealing in moisture. This helps to make unruly curls more manageable. It also reduces the effects of humidity that usually lead to frizzing.
Stay tuned! We’ll cover other gifts from nature as we look at the many benefits of superfoods for hair growth.
Do you have any favorite superfoods for hair and skin care? Tell us about them!