Photo by Honey Yanibel Minaya Cruz on Unsplash
12 of The Best Products for Curly Hair Care
By Jacqueline Samaroo
Caring for your natural hair shouldn’t be an uphill struggle. Whether it’s long or short, low porosity or high, finding the best products for curly hair too often means trying out a ton of different products before you discover the ones that work for your curls, coils, kinks, and waves.
We often hear about the “Holy Grail” hair products for curly hair… and they are out there! The ones that actually work, are good for your hair, and give awesome results every time. The problem is those “perfect products” are not the same for everyone. Kind of a bummer, right?
We’re here to help with a lineup of a dozen of the best natural hair products on the market. Our hope is to help you eliminate some of the frustrating trial-and-error process that often goes with natural hair care. The selection we have for you includes different kinds of products from well-known brands. They have been proven to work and they all enjoy rave reviews from satisfied naturalistas.
Let’s dive right in!
12 of The Best Products for Curly Hair Care
- L’Oreal Paris EverPure Exfoliating Scalp Care + Detox Scrub
- Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Shampoo
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
- Mielle Organics Babassu Oil And Mint Deep Conditioner with Protein
- Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3
- Organic Shea Butter by Sky Organics
- Curls Blueberry Hair Growth Oil
- Kreyòl Essence Pure Haitian Black Castor Oil
- Royal Locks Pro Curl Cream Gel with Argan Oil
- Pantene Gold Series Curl Defining Pudding
- Design Essentials Sleek MAX Edge Control
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk 4-in-1 Combing Creme
1. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Exfoliating Scalp Care + Detox Scrub
Ingredients shoutout: Apricot seed and menthol
Hey, you may already be using some of the best products for curly hair but if you’re not starting with a clean, healthy scalp you’ll never know it! That’s why we like this gentle and nourishing exfoliator. It clears away product buildup, excess oil, grime, and dirt, leaving you with a clean slate for your other hair products to work as effectively as they can.
- 10 Important Scalp Care Tips for Healthy Scalp and Hair
- 8 Common Causes of Dry Scalp Plus Easy Ways to Tell It’s Not Dandruff
- Best Treatment for Dry Scalp – 5 DIY Remedies
2. Maui Moisture Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Shampoo
Ingredients shoutout: Aloe vera, coconut milk, guava oil, and mango butter
The best products for natural hair growth often bring together several beneficial, hair-healthy ingredients in one formulation. That’s what this Coconut Milk Shampoo from Maui Moisture does! Its aloe vera and mango butter, for example, are nutrient-dense. They feed your scalp while also soothing and healing it with their anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
Ingredients shoutout: Tangerine, coconut oil, castor oil, saw palmetto, and phytosterols
Cowashes or cleansing conditioners are awesome hair products for coily hair. That’s because coily hair is more prone to excessive dryness. Cowashes help you avoid the oil-stripping and drying effects of regular shampooing while still keeping your hair clean and moisturized. Plus, this As I Am cowash has a mild and yummy coconut-y scent!
Related article: Natural Hair Care: 10 Amazing Cleansing Conditioners for Curly Hair.
4. Mielle Organics Babassu Oil and Mint Deep Conditioner with Protein
Ingredients shoutout: Babassu oil, peppermint oil, and apple extract,
Deep conditioners go the extra mile when it comes to hydrating your hair and scalp. They are also packed with nutrients, making them some of the best hair products for natural hair growth. With this deep conditioner from Mielle Organics, you get peppermint oil to improve blood circulation; apple extract with biotin for hair growth; and babassu oil to lock moisture into your scalp and hair shaft.
5. Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3
Ingredients shoutout: Patented Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate
Curly to kinky textures tend to be drier, more fragile, and more prone to damage. The patented molecule in this Hair Perfector from Opalex helps to repair hair that’s very damaged, making it stronger and much healthier-looking. What’s more, if your hair is already in great condition, then this will simply make it better!
- Can Heat Damaged Hair Be Repaired? Here Are 15 Awesome Tips
- 4 Easy Hair Strand Tests for Damaged Hair + 2 More Ways to Test If Your Hair Is Damaged
6. Organic Shea Butter by Sky Organics
Ingredients shoutout: Raw shea butter
Shea butter is among the best-known and best-loved natural hair products for curly hair. It is a wonderful moisturizer thanks to its beneficial fatty acids. You get all of their goodness with this USDA-certified organic, 100% pure, and unrefined shea butter.
7. Curls Blueberry Hair Growth Oil
Ingredients shoutout: Blueberry extract, pomegranate seed, argan oil, and gardenia flower oil
Growth and length retention are two of the main goals of natural hair care for textured hair. This growth oil helps in both respects by nourishing the scalp (the “soil” from which your hair grows) and preventing breakage along the strands. It also sets to work repairing the damage that’s already been done.
8. Kreyòl Essence Pure Haitian Black Castor Oil
Ingredients shoutout: Castor oil
There is no doubt that oils are some of the best products for curly hair care. The sebum our scalp naturally produces has a hard time making it along the hair shaft to lubricate and protect the strands. Natural hair oils, like castor oil, help to do the job of sebum while also bringing along some of their own benefits for hair growth.
- Why Black Hair Needs Hair Oil and 7 of the Best Ones to Use (with Product Examples!)
- The Difference between Essential Oils and Carrier Oils – 4 Really Good Things to Know
- Ayurveda Haircare: Bhringraj Oil for Hair Growth – 5 Wonderful Benefits
9. Royal Locks Pro Curl Cream Gel with Argan Oil
Ingredients shoutout: Argan oil and vitamin E
One of the joys of wearing your natural hair is showing off its beautiful, mesmerizing texture. This is where curl creams like this argan oil curl cream gel from Royal Locks, come into the picture. It works with all textured hair types, leaving your hair softer and shinier – minus any hint of stiffness and dryness.
- What Does Curl Cream Do + 7 Hot Tips On How to Use Curl Cream
- 10 Curl Creams for Natural Hair That Really Work, Really!
10. Pantene Gold Series Curl Defining Pudding
Ingredients shoutout: Argan oil and panthenol
Argan oil works overtime at hydrating and softening your hair. That’s why it is such a popular ingredient in many of the best products for curly hair. The Pantene Pro-V Gold Series features this curl-defining pudding that is argan oil infused for maximum curl definition.
11. Design Essentials Sleek MAX Edge Control
Ingredients shoutout: Glycerin and castor oil
Edge control often takes pride-of-place when it comes to Stylin’ and Profilin’ with a hairline that is PERFECTLY laid! That’s especially true when it comes to hair products for coily hair and this Sleek Max Edge Control from Design Essentials always gives awesome results. Good to know, too, that it also does wonders for hair that’s wavy, straight, or has loose curls.
Related article: Stylin’ and Profilin’: The Best Hair Gel for Curly Hair – Our Top 18!
12. Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk 4-in-1 Combing Creme
Ingredients shoutout: Agave nectar, keratin, and olive oil
Carol’s Daughter is one of the most famous brands when it comes to natural hair products for Black hair. Its products, like this nourishing Hair Milk, are formulated with natural ingredients that are meant to make textured hair look and feel its best. This wonderful detangler not only adds slip for easy combing, but it also conditions your curls, leaving them looking shinier and more defined.
- Black Hair Products: DIY Hair Detangler – 4 Super Easy Recipes
- 14 Top Detanglers to Add to Your Natural Hair Care Routine
So, did any of your “Holy Grail” picks for the best products for curly hair make our list? Let us know!