7 Amazing Products with Sunscreen for Hair and Scalp
By Jacqueline Samaroo
Being out in the fresh air and sunshine can do wonders for your physical and mental health. It brings you in touch with nature, lets you enjoy invigorating outdoor activities, and gives your skin the chance to produce the vitamin D you need.
But, as we all know, too much direct sunlight can be very bad for your skin. It can do a real number on your hair, too. That’s why finding products with sunscreen for hair and scalp protection is so very important. In fact, it’s just as important as the sunscreen protection you give to the rest of your skin.
Check out this recent article, 5 Great Reasons You Need Sun Protection for Hair and Scalp Care, for more about the benefits of hair products that offer sun protection. In it, we explain how sunscreen works and look at why it’s so good for your hair and scalp. The benefits include:
1. Preventing loss of moisture from your scalp and strands.
2. Helping to maintain the strength of your strands.
3. Protecting your hair color from fading because of sun exposure.
4. Slowing down premature aging of scalp skin.
5. Reducing the risk of skin cancer.
In today’s article, we’ve rounded up some fantastic sunscreen hair products. From the best spray-on sunscreen for hair to the best sunscreen for hair color protection and everything in between – we’ve got you covered!
- Vitamin D for Hair Growth – 3 Incredible Benefits
- 8 Yummy Recipes with Vitamin D Foods for Hair Growth
7 Curly Hair Products with Sunscreen for Hair and Scalp
Here’s a quick look at the fantastic products we have lined up for you!
- Moroccanoil Protect and Prevent Spray
- Kérastase Soleil Crème UV Sublime Hair Cream
- Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat/UV Protective Primer
- Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil
- Ulta Beauty Mineral Hair & Scalp Powder SPF 45
- Davines SU Hair Milk
- Sachajuan Hair After the Sun
- OUIDAD Advanced Climate Control Featherlight Styling Cream
- Brocato Holdon Sculpting Styling Gel
- Sun Bum Revitalizing 3 in 1 Leave-In Conditioner Spray Detangler
What we like about it: The key ingredient, argan oil, is rich in vitamins, beneficial fatty acids, and antioxidants.
This leave-in conditioner and detangler is made with Moroccanoil’s ArganID™ technology to help “infuse argan oil into the hair’s cortex, sealing and repairing the hair.” Use this spray-on sunscreen for hair that’s softer, stronger, and protected from UV and other environmental damage. It also helps to stop fading and brassiness, making it a really good choice if you are seeking the best sunscreen for hair color protection.
- Toning Shampoo for Black Hair – Should You Be Using It?
- Caring for Your Natural Hair Before and After a Dye Job – 11 Tips
What we like about it: This is a multi-functioning hair cream that nourishes your scalp and hair while helping to control frizzing.
It also offers sun protection and aids in preventing hair breakage. Use before or after sun exposure and enjoy the benefits of its key ingredients:
- Coconut water for hydrating and conditioning your scalp and hair.
- Vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant that deeply moisturizes, limits breakage, and fights the damaging effects of oxidative stress.
- UV filters to absorb UV rays, helping to protect your strands and scalp from damage.
- Curly Haircare: Vitamin E for Hair Growth – 6 Wonderful Benefits
- Enjoy The Best Sources of Vitamin E for Hair Growth – 8 Tasty Recipes
What we like about it: It is specifically designed for dry, brittle, damaged, or coarse hair that’s been color-treated.
You can use it as a leave-in treatment for de-frizzing, detangling, adding shine, and softening your strands. Its formula includes a blend of six hair-healthy oils (argan oil, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, and sweet almond oil). It also has UV filters to help prevent sun damage or heat damage from styling tools. They work together to make it a really good conditioning pre-styling sunscreen for hair and scalp.
- Ingredients 101: The Benefits of Grapeseed Oil for Hair Growth
- Curly Haircare: How Does Almond Oil Help In Hair Growth? 5 Wonderful Benefits
- Can Heat Damaged Hair Be Repaired? Here Are 15 Awesome Tips
This is a water-resistant, lightweight hair serum that lets you spray on sunscreen for hair protection when you’re out in the sun for extended periods of time. Its other ingredients include shea butter, sunflower seed oil, and coconut oil, making it a top contender for the best sunscreen for hair that’s regularly exposed to the damaging effects of UV rays.
- 3 Healthy Hair Butters for Natural Hair – Shea, Mango, and Murumuru
- Natural Hair and an Active Lifestyle Can Coexist – Here’s How!
What we like about it: This is a powdered sunscreen for hair and scalp with SPF 45 strength to help protect you from the damaging effects of sun exposure.
The active ingredient is zinc oxide which is often used in topical applications to treat and prevent minor burns and skin irritation, and in sunscreens. Apply it to your exposed scalp skin and gently blend it into the rest of your scalp. Be sure to layer on a water-resistant sunscreen over this protective powder if you intend to get your hair wet.
Never thought of using powdered products in your curly haircare regimen? Think again as you check out our recent series on dry shampoo for textured hair!
- Dry Shampoo for Curly Hair? Here Are 6 Amazing Must-Read Points
- Curly Hair Care Routine: 1 Simple DIY Dry Shampoo Recipe for Dark Hair
- The Best Dry Shampoo for Curly Hair – 10 Awesome Choices!
What we like about it: This conditioner and sunscreen for hair is made with extracts from the citrus myrtifolia plant.
The fruit of the citrus myritifolia plant (aka myrtle-leaved orange tree) is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and has both anti-inflammatory and restorative properties. The UV filters in this hair milk help to prevent sun damage while you enjoy soaking up the sun. You can also use this spray-on sunscreen for hair conditioning after you shampoo your hair.
- Want Vitamin C for Hair Growth? Get It with These 9 Delicious Recipes!
- 4 Amazing Benefits of Vitamin C for Hair Growth
What we like about it: This protective cream is formulated to take care of your hair after you’ve been out in the sun for a while.
It deeply moisturizes and conditions your hair and scalp, helping to rejuvenate them with its Ocean Silk technology and proteins. They make it a good option to consider if you are looking for the best sunscreen for hair and scalp protection after sun exposure. This cream is quite versatile, too, as it can be used as either a leave-in or rinse-out conditioning hair treatment.
Which products with sunscreen for hair do you depend on to protect your hair and scalp? Let us know!