Hair Milk for Hair Growth: What is it + 12 Awesome Hair Milk Products!
By Jacqueline Samaroo
The dog days of summer are fast upon us. It’s time to start thinking about giving your tresses all the hydrating and moisturizing goodness you can. That means it’s time to start thinking about adding hair milk to your natural hair regimen – if you aren’t already using this awesome leave-in styling product!
If the thought of milk only brings milk mustaches and not juicy curls to mind, no worries! This article covers:
- What is hair milk?
- The benefits of hair milk for hair growth
- A dozen hair milk products for natural hair
Coils, curls, and kinks LOVE milk, butter, and cream! Check out these butters and creams articles on CurlyNikki:
Here’s the list we have lined up for you of the best hair milk products. Jump to each one for more info.
- Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk
- SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
- tgin Sweet Honey Hair Milk and Moisturizer
- OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Frizz-Defying Curl Styling Milk
- Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Hair Milk
- Girl+Hair Refresh Plus Daily Hydrating Hair Milk
- Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Curl Refresher Spray
- Mielle Organics Avocado Moisturizing Hair Milk
- Davines Oi All in One Milk
- CURLS Blueberry & Coconut Hair Milk
- Briogeo Farewell Frizz Rosarco Milk Leave-In Conditioning Spray
What is hair milk?
Hair milk is a thin and creamy leave-in styling product. It is usually white in color and very moisturizing thanks to the water, emulsifiers, and oils in its formula. As a kind of lightweight combination of a hair treatment, a moisturizer, and a leave-in conditioner, hair milk also helps with detangling and styling after you have washed your hair. It can also be used between washes.
The benefits of hair milk for hair growth
The constituents and consistency of hair milk help it to bring several benefits to your haircare routine.
√ It rejuvenates hair that is dry, frizzy, and brittle.
√ It adds shine to hair without being overly greasy.
√ It can be layered under other styling products, such as gels.
√ It aids in detangling and protects hair from damage.
√ It helps to nourish and strengthen your hair and scalp.
√ It is lightweight so it does not weigh down your curls.
A dozen hair milk products you can try
As we mentioned earlier, hair milk products all have the same basic type of constituents: water, emulsifiers, and oils. So, it is the actual ingredients that will contribute greatly to what makes one hair milk better than another hair milk for hair growth. With this in mind, we’ve highlighted some of the star ingredients in each of the hair milks that made our list. Enjoy!
Ingredients shoutout: Rice milk, macadamia oil, and slippery elm bark
What we like about it: It softens and smooths your strands while enriching your hair and scalp with vitamins. It leaves your strands moisturized, strengthened, and with the pleasant scents of macadamia and vanilla.
- Rice Water Rinse for Curly Hair: What Is It, Benefits, and 3 EASY Rice Water Recipes
- Rice Water Shampoo for Natural Hair Care: Check Out These 3 Must-Try Examples!
- 5 Fantastic Fermented Rice Water Products for Curly Haircare
Ingredients shoutout: Coconut oil, hibiscus flower extract, shea butter, and neem oil
What we like about it: Hair milks do not offer hold to your styles – gels are best for that. But, this SheaMoisture hair milk does give you curl control. It is also designed for daily use on thick, curly hair to aid in detangling and styling.
- Neem Oil – 6 Wonderful Facts about This Curly Haircare Ingredient
- Stylin’ and Profilin’: The Best Hair Gel for Curly Hair – Our Top 18!
- 3 Healthy Hair Butters for Natural Hair – Shea, Mango, and Murumuru
Ingredients shoutout: Honey, agave nectar, and ginger extract
What we like about it: A sweet honey formula that leaves your hair with the scent of kiwi? What’s not to love?! Its antioxidant-rich ingredients also help to protect your hair and scalp from environmental stressors.
Ingredients shoutout: Coconut oil, honey, and citrus oil
What we like about it: This is a frizz-taming hair milk made for medium to coarse textured hair. Use it on any hair type, from kinky to wavy, for hair that is shiny, bouncy, and juicy!
- 4 Beautiful Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil for Hair Growth
- 4 Amazing Benefits of Vitamin C for Hair Growth
- Want Vitamin C for Hair Growth? Get It with These 9 Delicious Recipes!
Ingredients shoutout: Peppermint oil, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and sweet almond oil
What we like about it: Its peppermint and tea tree oils help to stimulate your scalp. You can tell they are working from the invigorating tingle you feel.
- Curly Haircare: How Does Almond Oil Help In Hair Growth? 5 Wonderful Benefits
- The Best Scalp Treatment for Hair Growth – 9 Wonderful Choices
- 5 Great Reasons You Need Sun Protection for Hair and Scalp Care
Ingredients shoutout: Aloe vera, hemp oil, coconut water, and tea tree oil
What we like about it: It’s also infused with biotin (vitamin B7) which is noted for its contribution to hair growth. The formula is ideal for curly, coily, and kinky hair.
- Aloe Oil for Extreme Hair Growth – 4 Recipes + Best Use of Aloe Vera for Natural Hair!!! | EfikZara
- All About Biotin for Hair Growth – 9 Interesting Facts
- Get Biotin for Hair Growth with These 8 Yummy Recipes!
Ingredients shoutout: Fennel seed oil and coconut oil
What we like about it: It assists in detangling, helps to control frizz, and leaves your hair more manageable as you proceed with the rest of your styling routine.
Ingredients shoutout: Agave nectar, sweet almond oil, and wheat protein
What we like about it: The hair milk Carol’s Daughter has on our list is one of the best for strengthening your strands while providing them with deeply penetrating moisture.
- Benefits of Wheat Protein Treatment for Hair (With 5 Awesome Product Examples!)
- The Best Protein Treatment for Hair – Our Top 7 Favorites!
- Protein Treatments for Hair Growth – 6 Things You Should Know
Ingredients shoutout: Avocado oil, jojoba oil, and sage extract
What we like about it: This is a very good hair milk to use daily on curly to kinky hair. It hydrates your hair while also helping to prevent breakage.
Ingredients shoutout: Roucou oil
What we like about it: Roucou oil comes from the annatto plant and brings its anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties to this hydrating and softening hair milk.
Ingredients shoutout: Coconut oil and blueberry extract
What we like about it: Its reparative formula conditions your hair and scalp, promoting healthier hair growth. It also aids in softening and smoothing the texture of type 3 and type 4 hair.
Ingredients shoutout: Rosarco – a signature blend of rosehip oil, argan oil, and coconut oil
What we like about it: It fights dryness and frizz while smoothing your strands and leaving them shinier. The formula works great on natural hair but is also suited for color-treated and chemically-treated hair.
Hey! Before you go… did you know Camille Rose, tgin, Eden BodyWorks, Girl+Hair, Mielle Organics, CURLS, and Briogeo were all featured in our recent series on the best Black-owned haircare brands? Check them all out HERE!
Do you use hair milk in your natural haircare regimen? Which one? Let us know!