8 Fantastic African Black Soap Products for Natural Haircare
By Jacqueline Samaroo
African black soap has its beginnings in the Yoruba communities of West Africa. It has a plethora of uses, including being a much-loved natural haircare product. From scalp care to moisturizing your strands, its mix of peels, pods, leaves, oils, and butters work together to help promote healthy hair growth.
Here are eight popular African black soap products to consider adding to your natural haircare regimen!
- Find out all about African black soap – how it’s made, its history, benefits, and much more in our recent post – African Black Soap: What is it, 8 Amazing Benefits, and Product Suggestions!
- African black soap is often hailed for its clarifying properties. Check out our latest post on clarifying shampoos – Curly Haircare 101: What Is Clarifying Shampoo and Other Great FAQs Answered.
Eight African black soap natural haircare products
Our list features soap bars, shampoos, conditioners, a scalp scrub, and a hair mask – all with African black soap as their star ingredient. Here’s what we have lined up:
- Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap Bar
- Our Earth’s Secrets Raw African Black Soap
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Pre-Shampoo Scalp Scrub
- Melanin Haircare African Black Soap Reviving Shampoo
- Alikay Naturals Moist Black Soap Shampoo
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Shampoo and Conditioner
- Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap Scalp Care Shampoo and Conditioner
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal Purification Masque Hair Treatment
Alaffia’s handcrafted, unscented soap contains palm kernel oil and raw “unrefined” shea butter both of which boost its ability to moisturize your scalp and hair. Its ingredients are sourced from fair trade groups and no “chemical preservatives, color enhancers or synthetic fragrances” are used in its formula. Its all-natural ingredients are vegan and the soap is biodegradable.
Unrefined shea butter and vitamin E are among the ingredients in this Our Earth’s Secrets raw African black soap. It is sold as a 1-pound bar/brick, so you can simply cut off the amount you need and store away the rest to use over time. It also comes in 2-pound and 3-pound options, if you would like to really stock up on it!
- 3 Healthy Hair Butters for Natural Hair – Shea, Mango, and Murumuru
- Curly Haircare: Vitamin E for Hair Growth – 6 Wonderful Benefits
- Enjoy The Best Sources of Vitamin E for Hair Growth – 8 Tasty Recipes
This is one of several bamboo charcoal and African black soap products sold by SheaMoisture. (Scroll down to see some of the others.) This scalp scrub exfoliates, relieves itching, and refreshes your scalp. Along with African black soap and bamboo charcoal, its other key ingredient is tea tree oil.
Plenty of good-for-your hair and scalp add-ins are included in Melanin Haircare’s African black soap shampoo. It conditions and moisturizes with its shea butter, cocoa butter, argan oil, and pro-vitamin B5. It also has turmeric extract along with the healing and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree, black cumin seed, rosemary, and peppermint oils.
- Good-to-Know Benefits of Rosemary Essential Oil for Hair + 3 Ways to Use It
- 9 Wonderful Vitamin B Complex Benefits
- 8 Spicy (and Easy!) Recipes with Turmeric for Hair Growth
- Is Butter Good for Hair? 3 Healthy Hair Butters for Natural Hair – Cocoa, Ucuuba, and Kokum
Natural and organic ingredients are featured in this black soap shampoo from Alikay Naturals. This shampoo contains tea tree oil, as well as shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and aloe leaf juice to leave your hair and scalp clean and moisturized without any hint of itching or dryness.
Go beyond simply getting your hair clean with this shampoo and conditioner bundle from SheaMoisture. They work to exfoliate and cleanse your scalp while also softening your hair and adding slip for detangling. Both contain tea tree oil and willow bark extract among their ingredients.
Alaffia, Melanin Haircare, and Alikay Naturals were all featured in our recent roundup of the best Black-owned hair care brands. Read about them and many other inspiring Black-owned brands:
Shea butter, activated charcoal, peppermint oil, neem oil, and tea tree oil are all included in this shampoo and conditioner duo from Alaffia. They condition and revitalize your hair and scalp without stripping away the natural oils. Both also contain African mint (aka hoary basil) known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
The final in our list of African black soap products is another selection from SheaMoisture’s African Black Soap and Bamboo Charcoal collection. Apply this cream generously after shampooing for an intense treatment that deeply nourishes, hydrates, and moisturizes your scalp and hair.
- 10 Important Scalp Care Tips for Healthy Scalp and Hair
- The Best Scalp Treatment for Hair Growth – 9 Wonderful Choices
- Curly Haircare Ingredients: 5 Surprising Benefits of Activated Charcoal for Hair Growth
Do you use any African black soap products in your natural haircare routine? Tell us about them!