3rd day hair! Maintenance deets below!
Also, that’s my mini-prayer rope made of lamb’s wool on the counter. They’re used in the Eastern Orthodox tradition as a tool to practice the Jesus Prayer. Even when I’m not chanting the words of the mantra, I’m chanting the feeling of Love, on every knot (there are 33 of them). I love that it was made at a convent by nuns (feels extra holy lol) and that the beads are just knots of the same material, wool (rather than being wooden beads strung on wool). It’s a very clear reminder that I’m a knot, you’re a knot, the whole world is a knot made of this One Love. Knots of Love. The ‘Nots’ of Love. Not truly here. Nothing is really happening 😉 The feeling of the prayer rope in my hand is a constant reminder of That. Longest.Caption.Ever. Listen to today’s episode of ‘GoOD Mornings With CurlyNikki’ HERE!
3 Ways to Use Rosemary for Hair Growth + My 3rd Day Hair Tips
The fact that this Mielle Rosemary Mint Hair Growth Oil has coconut oil in it (albeit much further down the ingredient list than jojoba and castor oil) is giving me pause. I won’t say that it’s keeping me up at night, but I know that my hair is not usually a fan. I’ve changed, so I guess my hair can too, lol, BUT, what I know for sure is that coconut oil eventually makes my hair hard (and dry) with repeated use, and I’ve received tons of messages from coconut oil-sensitive readers warning me about their experiences. So with that, I wanted to share some easy, homemade alternatives for us to reap all the hair growing benefits of rosemary, without any of the coconut oil woe. This is also helpful for those that want to try the Mielle Oil but can’t find it where they are! The following is from a throwback article that’s even more relevant, today. I added my commentary in italics with a ‘*’.
Rosemary Infusion– What is that you ask? It’s a simple as a cup of tea. Actually, it is a cup to tea!
- Simply boil water and add your rosemary to the water.
- Allow it to steep for 15-30mins and then sift away the leaves. You are left with rosemary infused water.
- The water can then be used for a rinse for any of the following; cleansing rinse, treatment for shine, treatment for graying, treatment for dandruff and scalp irritation.
- DO NOT RINSE OUT! (Remember to accompany rinses with a nice scalp massage as well). *See HERE for how I rinse my hair with tea.
Rosemary Oil- There are two ways that you can achieve an oil infused with rosemary.
- The first which is the quickest but not necessarily the cheapest, is purchasing rosemary essential oil (which is a highly concentrated) and adding a few drops to your oil which you use daily (*I prefer jojoba oil or an argan x castor oil blend).
- The second option is to buy fresh rosemary and crush it within your hands to bring out the aroma. Put the crushed herb into a GLASS bottle (beer bottle, jelly, jars etc) and pour your choice of oil (olive, jojoba etc) over top the herbs.
- Try to pick an oil that is not temperature sensitive like grapeseed oil.
- Put the bottle in a cool, dark space and allow it to sit for 2-4 weeks. You can then apply this rosemary infused oil to your hair and scalp for the following; dandruff, scalp irritation, stimulate hair growth, scalp massage, added shine and luster.
- Crush fresh rosemary and add to a jar of apple cider vinegar.
- Follow the same steps as the oil and store in a cool, dark space for 2-4 weeks.
- After shampooing hair, combine 1/4 cup of your rosemary vinegar to 1-2 cup of water and rinse hair with it.
- DO NOT RINSE OUT. This is best used for the following; gentle cleanser, hair treatment for Ph balance, shine and conditioning.
source: “Back to Eden” written by Jethro Kloss
Which one do you think you’ll try?! If you’ve tried one, share your results below!
Nikki Says: To preserve my curls overnight, I loosely secured the front half in a pineapple at the top of head, near my hairline using a medium sized claw clip (scrunchies pull my curls straight or leave a dent), and lightly pulled the back half down into a low pony near my nape, using a claw clip. I slept with it out on my satin pillow case. I massaged the Mielle oil into my scalp before bed and this morning as well, fluffing the roots as I went. I just purchased a new, thickening hair care line in the mail and will try over the weekend and report back! I Love you!!!!! Chat soon!