I’m 10 days in now and have been doing a juice only fast for the last 3 days!
Harnessing the Power of an 80/10/10 Diet and Juicing for Optimal Health and Longevity
I’ve shared on my podcast that I’ve been trying to go vegan, particularly raw vegan, since 2005. My Spirit would say, ‘let’s go’, and then my body would try, bless its heart, but after a few days, it would feel weak, my blood pressure would go low, my heart rate would go high (especially when my period would start), and I’d be back to eating the foods I knew were keeping me sick. Fast forward to the top of this year. While on silent retreat, I felt the call again, again, again. This time tho, the right information found me (here, here, here, here, and here). Juicing found me. And my life hasn’t been the same since. Now I get the calories I need (I couldn’t possibly get from just eating raw fruits and veggies whole), while healing my body slowly with the nutrients it was missing. If you’re already thinking, ‘but Nikki, what about the fiber? Or what about diabetes? Or what about getting enough protein? Read this. And know that added sugars in processed juices spike blood sugar, but that natural sugars in real, fresh pressed juices do not. I’ve been testing my fasting blood sugar and my numbers an hour after consuming my juice and it’s extra normal! But I digress– I’m not just getting the nutrients from 2 oranges (about what I could eat), I drink 8 oranges (about how many it takes to juice 18 ounces). And I’m watching Nikki (our practice of witnessing) meditate longer, actually have the energy and desire to work-out (my mom is losing weight, feeling great, and her knees have stopped hurting so she can run again– this is all from celery juice!), and sleep more soundly (my dad who has chronic insomnia, actually sleeps when he’s drinking celery juice!). My digestion is better. My periods are lighter. I need less sleep. I need less food. All I need is Love! ❤️ Speaking of which, before we continue, and before you do a deep dive into the world of juices and raw veganry lol, know that you don’t need to buy any supplements (except b12, I still take that one), you don’t need to buy anything but fresh fruits and veggies and a juicer (and maybe one of those books I shared above, tho much of the info is on the internet, now)! I bought this cheap one from Best Buy on a humbug one night and after using it consistently for weeks (for celery juice), got this bad boy (Kuvings). HIGHLY recommend. I’ve also heard great things about this one (Nama), and we may get it, too! There’s no magic fruit or veggie, not even celery (which I drink most mornings), or wheatgrass juice (ugh, but yeah), that will ‘cure’ your situation. As Neem Karoli Baba says, ‘Love is the strongest medicine’. Whatever you’re doing, eating, juicing, do it with Love and It will Love you and nourish you back. The more in alignment you find yourself, the more you’ll find yourself making healthier choices without thinking twice (or at all!). You can’t force this stuff. You flow, and then you look up and you’re being what you always, already are.
A Word About Celery Juice
Celery juice has gained popularity in recent years due to various claimed health benefits. While some of these benefits are supported by anecdotal evidence, it’s important to note that scientific research on celery juice is limited, and more studies are needed to make definitive conclusions. The conclusion in my household is that it works and it hasn’t spiked blood pressures from the natural salt, or caused any issues. We’ve seen lots of benefits tho, like the ones mentioned above (pain/inflammation reduction, improvement in sleep), but here are some others from around the web–
- Hydration: Celery juice is mostly water and can contribute to your overall hydration, helping to maintain proper bodily functions.
- Nutrient-rich: Celery is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, and folate. Drinking celery juice can provide you with some of these essential nutrients.
- Antioxidant properties: Celery contains compounds like flavonoids and vitamin C, which have antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect the body against oxidative stress and reduce inflammation.
- Digestive health: Some people claim that celery juice can improve digestion and relieve bloating. It is believed to have a soothing effect on the digestive system and may help promote regular bowel movements.
- Hyaluronic acid content: Celery is a natural source of hyaluronic acid, a substance that helps keep the skin hydrated and promotes skin health. Some individuals believe that drinking celery juice can enhance skin appearance and elasticity.
- Potential blood pressure regulation: Some studies suggest that celery contains compounds that may help lower blood pressure levels. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
- Alkalizing properties: Celery is considered an alkaline food, which means it has a pH level that is slightly above 7. Some proponents claim that consuming alkaline foods can help balance the body’s pH levels and promote overall well-being.
The 80/10/10 Diet for Raw Vegans
Among the various approaches, the 80/10/10 diet stood out to me. I started noticing that I felt worse after high fat meals, no matter if it was french fries and highly processed faux meats (cutting those out solved most of my problems lol), or avocados. Googling around led to some interesting takes, primarily that our livers aren’t able to do their jobs effectively when we are constantly eating high fat foods. My favorite tidbit was that our diet should look like the makeup of our first meal– mother’s milk 80% carbs/sugar, 10% protein, 10% fat. Proponents of 80/10/10 diet believe that it mimics the natural diet of our primate ancestors and optimizes our body’s physiology. Raw fruits and vegetables are packed with essential nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. By consuming these plant-based foods in their raw and natural state, you can maximize the intake of vital nutrients while avoiding harmful effects associated with excessive fat. Up until that info, I was dousing everything in extra virgin olive oil (good fat, right?!), eating all the avocados (trying to maintain my weight by eating high caloric foods), and olives, and wondering why I was feeling so bad even though I was doing the right things! I’d like to add that switching to the 80/10/10 diet, even while doing juice only fasts, I only lost a couple of pounds (they say you only lose the unhealthy weight and then you gain back the good weight haha), and I gained energy and lightness and clarity!
By primarily consuming raw fruits, vegetables, and some nuts and seeds (and cutting out free oils like EVOO), you may experience a range of health benefits–
- Improved Digestion and Detoxification: The high fiber content of fruits and vegetables aids in promoting healthy digestion and regular bowel movements. Moreover, raw vegan diets are known for their detoxifying effects, as they support the body’s natural ability to eliminate toxins, resulting in increased energy levels and improved overall well-being.
- Weight Management and Increased Energy: An 80/10/10 diet can be effective for weight management due to its low-fat and high-fiber nature. The abundance of fresh fruits provides a rich source of natural sugars and carbohydrates, supplying sustained energy throughout the day.
- Enhanced Mental Clarity and Emotional Well-being: Many individuals following the 80/10/10 diet report improved mental clarity and enhanced emotional well-being. The high nutrient content, combined with the absence of processed and artificial foods, can contribute to a healthier brain function and stabilized mood.
If you’ve ever had heart palpitations after a heavy, fatty meal or just feel sluggish and always low energy, check out this book, or consume some of his content around the web. The 369 detox helped me jump start this present, successful raw vegan situation. While in Israel, I was vegetarian, but since then, I’m back and I’m now 10 days back into raw veganry (I made this word up in this article haha), and 3 days into juices only. This juice fast started before I even knew it!
**If you can’t do anything else**
If this feels overwhelming and these are too many words, just try this (what I’ve shared with close friends and fam)– don’t eat any fat before noon. No plant fat (yes, that includes avocado toast and yogurt), no animal fat, just raw fruit or fruit juices (or blended). You’ll be supporting your liver in its duties of cleansing your body and you’ll feel better and clear enough to make more changes! That one change will prove beneficial and then you won’t need any convincing.
The Power of Juicing Grape Juice and Orange Juice
Juicing has gained popularity as a way to extract the powerful nutrients from fruits and vegetables in a concentrated form. Grape juice and orange juice, in particular, have been associated with numerous health benefits. I juice them separately– pure grape, or pure orange (sometimes, a bit of fresh ginger) and stick to one juice or the other on any given day. Dr. Morse (book linked above) tells tales of curing long-term, serious illnesses (like IBD, various types of cancers, etc) with 20-50 day long grape juice fasts. Be sure to buy organic grapes and when possible, seeded– that’s why I’m only doing OJ right now– can’t find organic grapes!
Grape Juice for Cardiovascular Health: Grape juice, rich in antioxidants like resveratrol, can have a positive impact on heart health. Studies suggest that regular consumption of grape juice may help reduce blood pressure, improve blood flow, and lower the risk of heart disease.
Orange Juice for Immunity and Skin Health: Orange juice is renowned for its high vitamin C content, a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system and promotes collagen production. Regular consumption of orange juice can boost immunity, aid in wound healing, and contribute to healthier, glowing skin.
Anti-aging Effects: Both grape juice and orange juice possess anti-aging properties due to their antioxidant content. Antioxidants help combat free radicals in the body, reducing oxidative stress and slowing down the aging process. The abundance of vitamins and minerals in these juices also supports healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Specific Health Issues: Juicing can be tailored to address specific health concerns. For example, grape juice is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and may offer relief for joint pain and inflammation. Orange juice’s high vitamin C content can assist in reducing the severity and duration of cold symptoms.
It is important to note that while the 80/10/10 diet and a juicing routine can offer numerous benefits, individual results may vary. It is always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian before making any significant dietary changes or embarking on a juicing regimen.
I’d like to add that I remember coming across Dr. Sebi’s allowed and restricted food list in 2005. I was inspired, but I was also like, ‘impossible!’ But here we are!
The power of an 80/10/10 raw vegan lifestyle with the incorporation of celery, grape, and orange juices through juicing cannot be underestimated. By embracing these practices, you may experience enhanced overall health, increased energy, mental clarity, emotional well-being, better skin, hair, sleep, and a higher quality of life. Have you tried it? Would you?!
Let me know if you want me to share more about what I eat! And please drop any amazing raw vegan recipes for me, below!!! I also just started with Sea Moss Gel, so I’ll keep you posted on my adventures!