10 of the Best Box Dyes for Natural Hair
Want Rich and Vibrant Color?
By Jacqueline Samaroo
Did you know commercial hair dyes aren’t all bad? In fact, some of the best box dyes for natural hair can actually be quite nourishing while giving your curls rich, enviable color.
Now, we know there are plenty of good reasons so many of us view commercial hair dyes like the proverbial plague. They have long had a reputation of being harsh and damaging to hair. That’s NOT what natural hair needs.
Natural textured hair needs to be nurtured. Natural haircare products should have ingredients that are proven to provide textured hair with the nutrients it needs to stay
And, yes, you can find all that natural hair goodness in some box dyes!
Here are our top picks of the best box dyes for natural hair.
This permanent hair color comes in over a dozen shades and is formulated for all hair types. Finding one to match your texture and the color you are after shouldn’t be too much of a problem! Plus, it’s a conditioning hair dye that’s made with jojoba and five botanical extracts to deeply moisturize and nourish hair.
Adore gives you over 30 rich colors to choose from. It’s a semi-permanent dye that’s made without ammonia, peroxide, and alcohol. The instructions say just 15 minutes should be enough for it to color your hair but some reviewers advise that you give it a bit more time for thicker, curlier hair.
Argan oil is well-known for the many ways in which it benefits natural textured hair. That’s what makes this one of the best hair dyes for natural hair. It’s got argan oil and what Creme of Nature calls its “nourishing Micro-Sphere Technology.”
It’s no surprise Creme of Nature gets two nods on our list of the Best Box Dyes for Natural Hair. Check out their next entry below.
This hair dye is specially formulated for coarse hair types. It’s a permanent, conditioning dye that promises to completely cover grays – if that is what you are after. Thanks to the shea butter in its formula, it leaves hair soft, shiny, and wonderfully moisturized.
This luscious box dye from Garnier boasts “Triple Oils” – avocado, olive, and shea. It comes in an impressive range of light to dark colors. As a big bonus, it includes a grapeseed oil ampoule that you can snap and pour into your dye for extra natural goodness!
Get awesome advice on maintaining the health of your colored hair. Read Caring for Your Natural Hair Before and After a Dye Job – 11 Tips.
This hair coloring system is phthalate, ammonia, and sulfate-free. Without any of those nasties in the mix, it’s free to give your curls vibrant color while nourishing each strand. How does it do it? With mongongo and hemp seed oils, along with baobab protein and apple cider vinegar.
Argan oil and vitamin E lead the way for this sumptuous permanent hair dye. It lives up to its name by giving you long-lasting color that will look “day-one good” for many days to come. No wonder it usually makes the cut as one of the best box dyes for natural hair.
Another Dark and Lovely permanent option makes the cut for the best box dye. With “Go Intense” and “Ultra Vibrant” in its name, you know exactly what to expect – rich and lasting color! It boasts an anti-drying formula thanks to its not-so-secret ingredient, olive oil.
OK, so if you like the Go Intense line, you will LOVE that it also comes in a temporary spray. Yes, it does! Just spray it on to get the vibrant shade you are after. Feel free to experiment with a few of these – there’s no long-term commitment since the color washes out easily.
Just add plain water to this powder and get rich color from one of the best-known box dyes on the market. It’s a gentle, rich, permanent dye that’s free from the ammonia we’re all looking to avoid.
Revlon ColorSilk promises 3D, multidimensional color for your textured natural hair. It’s definitely one of the best box dyes you can buy if you are looking for a permanent color that gives extra moisture and bold tones to your curls.
Still feeling cautious about using commercial dyes on your tresses? If you want to color your textured hair the all-natural way, then check out our recent post 6 Natural Ways to Color Natural Hair.
Prepare your natural hair for box dye-
1. Gather Your Supplies: Before you dive into the world of box dyes, make sure you have everything you need. Grab your chosen box dye, disposable gloves, an old t-shirt you don’t mind staining, a mixing bowl and brush (if not included in the kit), a timer, and some petroleum jelly or a barrier cream to protect your skin around the hairline.
2. Patch Test: Safety first, Curlfriends! Before applying the dye to your entire head, do a patch test. Apply a small amount of the dye mixture behind your ear or on your inner forearm. Wait for the recommended time, and if you don’t experience any irritation or allergic reaction, you’re good to go.
3. Choose the Right Shade: Selecting the perfect shade can be a game-changer. If you’re going for a drastic color change, remember that the final result may vary depending on your hair’s natural color. Consider consulting with a professional or doing some research to find the shade that will complement your skin tone and desired look.
4. Start with Dirty Hair: Contrary to what you might think, it’s best to apply box dye to slightly dirty hair. Clean hair can be too slippery, making it difficult for the color to adhere evenly. So, skip the shampoo on the day of your dye adventure.
5. Protect Your Skin: To avoid staining your skin with dye, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly or a barrier cream along your hairline, ears, and neck. This extra step will make cleanup a breeze and keep your skin looking fabulous.
6. Section Your Hair: Sectioning your hair makes the application process more manageable and ensures that every strand gets evenly coated. Use clips or hair ties to separate your hair into sections, starting with the bottom and working your way up.
7. Mix the Dye Carefully: Follow the instructions on the box to mix the dye accurately. Be sure to wear your gloves to protect your hands from staining. Use a mixing bowl and brush if the kit doesn’t include them. Thoroughly mix the color and developer until you achieve a smooth consistency.
8. Apply with Precision: Now comes the fun part – applying the dye! Begin at the roots and work your way down to the ends, making sure each section is evenly coated. Pay special attention to your roots, as they may need more time to process than the rest of your hair. Be gentle with your curls to avoid unnecessary damage.
9. Set the Timer: Timing is crucial when it comes to box dyes. Set a timer according to the package instructions to ensure the dye processes for the right amount of time. It’s always a good idea to check your hair’s color during the process to avoid over-processing.
10. Rinse and Condition: Once the processing time is up, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water until the water runs clear. Follow up with the conditioner provided in the box or use a deep conditioner to restore moisture and keep your curls feeling soft and luscious.
11. Style with Love: After your fabulous color transformation, style your curls with love. Use products that cater to color-treated hair to maintain vibrancy and prevent fading. Consider a heat protectant if you plan to use heat styling tools.
Do you use box dyes on your natural hair? Tell us about it!