The Ultimate Guide to Fan-Favorite Naturally Curly Hair Conditioners in 2023
If you have naturally curly hair, then you know the struggle of finding the perfect conditioner that has the perfect consistency (not too thin or too thick), is ultra slippery, hydrates, defines, and tames those beautiful curls.
In this comprehensive guide, I’ll take you through the best conditioners that are specifically formulated to enhance your natural curls. Whether you have loose waves or tight coils, I’ve got you covered with a range of options that cater to different curl types and textures.
Each conditioner in this list has been carefully selected based on its effectiveness, quality, and rave reviews from curly hair enthusiasts. From affordable drugstore options to luxurious salon-grade formulas, there’s something for every budget and preference.
Naturally curly hair has unique needs that require specific care and attention. Unlike straight hair, curly hair tends to be drier and more prone to frizz. This is because the natural oils produced by the scalp have a harder time traveling down the hair shaft due to its curly structure. As a result, curly hair often lacks moisture, leading to dryness, breakage, and lackluster curls.
To combat these issues, it’s important to use a conditioner that provides intense hydration and nourishment to your curls. Look for conditioners that are specifically formulated for curly hair, as they often contain ingredients that can help enhance and define your curls, while also addressing common concerns such as frizz and dryness.
And important factor to consider is the consistency of the conditioner. Curly hair tends to benefit from thicker, more nourishing formulas that can provide intense hydration and moisture. Look for conditioners that have a creamy or buttery texture, as these are often more effective at penetrating the hair shaft and providing long-lasting hydration.
Also consider the ingredients in the conditioner. Avoid products that contain harsh sulfates, silicones, and other drying ingredients that can strip your hair of its natural moisture. Instead, look for conditioners that are formulated with natural oils, butters, and botanical extracts that can nourish and hydrate your curls.
When it comes to curly hair conditioners, certain ingredients can make a world of difference in enhancing and defining your curls. Here are some top ingredients to look for:
1. Shea Butter: Shea butter is a natural emollient that can provide intense nourishment and lock in moisture. It makes the hair more pliable and less prone to breakage. It also helps to soften the hair, making it more manageable and less prone to frizz. Look for conditioners that contain shea butter high up on the ingredient list for maximum benefits.
2. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is known for its nourishing and fortifying properties and ability to penetrate the hair shaft. It helps to seal in moisture, reduce protein loss, and improve the overall health and appearance of your curls. Look for conditioners that contain coconut oil to give your curls a hydration boost.
3. Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a natural ingredient that can help soothe and hydrate the scalp, promoting healthy hair growth. It also has a moisturizing effect on the hair, helping to define and enhance your curls. Look for conditioners that contain aloe vera for its hydrating and soothing properties.
4. Argan Oil: Argan oil is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids, making it a great ingredient for nourishing and fortifying curly hair. It helps to restore shine, reduce frizz, and improve the overall health of your curls. Look for conditioners that contain argan oil to give your curls a luxurious treatment.
5. Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is similar in structure to the natural oils produced by the scalp, making it an excellent ingredient for conditioning curly hair. It helps to balance the scalp’s natural oil production, preventing dryness and promoting healthier, more vibrant curls. Look for conditioners that contain jojoba oil for its moisturizing and conditioning properties.
From the bottle- Honey Miracle Hair Mask is like an instant make over for dry, damaged or colored treated hair. This luxurious deep conditioner contains raw honey for softer, shinier tresses and jojoba and olive oils, which nourish and heal strands in need of repair. The result is hair that never looked so good.
-Restores life to dry, damaged, or color treated hair
-Improves shine and manageability
-Locks in moisture and repairs damage
-Reduces shedding and breakage
-No parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, lanolin, artificial colors, or animal testing
Ingredients: water, raw honey, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, glutamic acid, fragrance, benzyl alcohol, edta, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone. methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone
From the bottle- A vitamin-packed moisturizing and strengthening treatment infused with blue green algae A decadent Vitamin Pack treatment infused with Botanical blue green algae and emollient mango butter, crafted to prevent strands from breaking, shedding and thinning.
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS), Cetyl Alcohol, Theobroma Cacao ( Cocoa) Seed Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Panthenol, (Honey) Mel, Vegetable Glycerin, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Fruit Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Phenoxyethanol (Optiphen ND), Caprylyl Glycol, Blue Green Algae, Biotin, Msm, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Phthalate Free Fragrance, And Love!
From the bottle: This moisturizing formula is an intensive deep conditioning treatment that strengthens and helps prevent breakage, while detangling and adding Exotic Shine. Ideal for all hair types, this treatment can be used after every shampoo as a quick conditioner or every week as a reconstructor for noticeably healthy hair that you can see and feel.
-Deeply Infuses Moisture with Exotic Shine
-Strengthens & Prevents Hair Breakage
-Leaves Hair Soft & Full of Body
-Infused with Certified Natural Argan Oil from Morocco
Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Eau), Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-37, Lanolin Oil, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyquaternium-10, Amodimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isopropyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Isostearyl Ethylimidazolinium Ethosulfate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mel (Honey) (Miel), Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Parfum (Fragrance), Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone.
To get the most out of your curly hair conditioner, follow these tips for optimal results:
1. Start by shampooing your hair with a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo to remove any buildup or impurities.
2. Apply the conditioner to wet hair, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends.
3. Leave the conditioner on for a few minutes to allow it to penetrate the hair shaft and work its magic. Pass your head under the warm water stream a few times to dilute the conditioner a bit and more evenly distribute it. Finger detangle as you do, gently from tips to roots!
4. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water, making sure to remove all traces of the conditioner.
5. For extra hydration, consider using a leave-in conditioner or a hair mask once or twice a week.
6. Style your curls as desired, using curl-enhancing products and techniques to define and enhance your natural curls.
If you’re a DIY enthusiast or prefer natural hair products, here are a few simple recipes for homemade curly hair conditioners:
1. Avocado and Honey Conditioner: Mash one ripe avocado and mix it with two tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture to your hair, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
2. Coconut Milk and Aloe Vera Conditioner: Mix half a cup of coconut milk with two tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp, and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
3. Olive Oil and Yogurt Conditioner: Mix two tablespoons of olive oil with half a cup of plain yogurt. Apply the mixture to your hair, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Additional tips and tricks for managing and maintaining curly hair
Managing and maintaining curly hair can be a challenge, but with the right techniques and products, you can achieve beautiful, healthy curls. Here are a few additional tips and tricks:
1. Avoid brushing or combing your hair when it’s dry, as this can cause breakage and frizz. Instead, use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to detangle your curls when they’re wet and saturated with conditioner.
2. Invest in a satin or silk pillowcase to minimize friction and prevent frizz while you sleep. Alternatively, you can wrap your hair in a silk or satin scarf before bed.
3. Limit the use of heat styling tools such as flat irons and curling irons, as they can cause damage and dryness. If you do use heat, make sure to apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
4. Deep condition your hair once a week to provide it with extra hydration and nourishment. This can help to restore moisture and improve the overall health of your curls.
5. Embrace your natural curls and avoid excessive manipulation or styling. Let your curls air dry whenever possible and avoid over-styling with products that contain harsh chemicals.
1. How often should I use a conditioner on my curly hair?
It’s recommended to condition your curly hair every time you wash it. This helps to replenish moisture and keep your curls hydrated and healthy.
2. Can I use a regular conditioner on my curly hair?
While regular conditioners may provide some level of hydration, they may not be as effective at addressing the specific needs of curly hair. It’s best to use a conditioner that is specifically formulated for curly hair to achieve optimal results.
3. Can I use a deep conditioner as a regular conditioner?
Deep conditioners are typically more concentrated and formulated to be used once a week or as a treatment. While they can provide intense hydration, they may be too heavy for everyday use. It’s best to reserve deep conditioners for weekly treatments and use a regular conditioner for daily use.
Finding the right conditioner for your curly hair can make a world of difference in the health, appearance, and manageability of your curls. By understanding the needs of your curls, considering key factors when choosing a conditioner, and looking for ingredients that provide hydration and nourishment, you can achieve beautiful, defined curls that you’ll love.
What’s your favorite naturally curly hair conditioner?