|Pictured, Jordan’s Beauty Supply in Chicago|
Looking to keep your dollars in the community while still getting all the hair supplies you need? If you’re in the Chicago area, try out these 7 Black-owned beauty supplies in the Chicago area.
Solo Beauty Supply
8158 S. Cottage Grove
1729 E. 87th Street
8701 S. Racine Ave
BJ’s Beauty Solutions Supply
8704 S. Loomis
Jordan’s Beauty Supply
1911 E. 79th Street
8228 S. Kedzie
3428 S. King Drive
How do I find the nearest beauty supply store to me?
1. Ask the Curl Community: One of the best ways to uncover hidden gems is by tapping into the natural hair community. Reach out to friends, family, or colleagues with similar hair types and ask them for recommendations. Curlfriends often have inside information about the best beauty supply stores in your area.
2. Check Online Reviews: The internet is a treasure trove of information. Search for beauty supply stores in your city or town and read online reviews. Websites like Yelp, Google Reviews, or even social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook can provide valuable insights and customer feedback about local stores.
3. Visit Natural Hair Forums: Natural hair forums and communities are great places to connect with fellow naturals. Websites like NaturallyCurly, CurlTalk, or local Facebook groups often have threads dedicated to discussing the best beauty supply stores in your area. You can ask questions and get recommendations from people who share your hair journey.
4. Explore Social Media: Instagram and Twitter are fantastic platforms to discover local beauty supply stores. Many stores have active social media accounts where they showcase their products and promotions. Use location-based hashtags or search by location to find stores near you.
5. Take a Stroll or Drive Around: Sometimes, the best beauty supply stores are tucked away in neighborhoods or shopping plazas you might not have considered. Take a leisurely stroll or drive around your area, keeping an eye out for signs or storefronts that catch your attention. You might stumble upon a hidden gem!
6. Visit Multiple Stores: Don’t limit yourself to just one store. Visit multiple beauty supply stores in your area to compare product selections, prices, and customer service. Each store might have something unique to offer, and exploring different options can be both fun and informative.
7. Ask Store Staff for Recommendations: Once you’ve found a potential beauty supply store, don’t hesitate to engage with the staff. They often have valuable insights and can recommend products based on your specific hair needs and preferences. Strike up a conversation and don’t be shy about asking for guidance.
8. Attend Local Natural Hair Events: Keep an eye out for local natural hair events, expos, or workshops. These gatherings often feature pop-up shops and booths from beauty supply stores, allowing you to explore products and connect with store owners and representatives in person.
9. Support Black-Owned or Independent Stores: Consider supporting black-owned or independent beauty supply stores. They may offer a curated selection of products catering specifically to natural hair needs and may provide a unique shopping experience.
10. Spread the Word: Once you’ve discovered your go-to beauty supply store, share your findings with your curl community. Recommend the store to friends and fellow naturals, and let the store owner know that you appreciate their products and service. Positive word-of-mouth can help local businesses thrive.