By January 27th, 202183 Comments

Essence Black Women in Music!
I almost lost my last nerve yesterday y’all. I left my house at 5am for a 7am flight and two layovers and 15 hours later, I touched down in Los Angeles. In Phoenix, I boarded an aircraft, broke down Gia’s stroller, shoved my ish into the cramped overhead compartment, sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes, wrestled with Gia, de-boarded, waited an hour in the airport and then finally re-boarded a different plane. To compound the situation, we encountered a headwind, or a tailwind, that rocked my soul. I’ve never in all my years experienced such disrespectful turbulence. The flight attendant fell into the empty seat behind me and get this, was hollering! Every time the plane dramatically dipped or shook, she would scream and grab her chest… looking to her for reassurance, her words, ‘I’ve been in worse’ didn’t feel… genuine. Clutching the headrest of the seat in front of me as my stomach was repeatedly forced up into my throat (that’s what she said), I remember looking out over the mountain range below, looking at Gia, who was laughing hysterically by the way, and looking into the faces of other anxious passengers. It was unsettling to feel so powerless and to realize that no one… not that scary a$$ flight attendant, not the pilot, not the dude in front of me with his witty commentary… no one, no one could save us but God. I made peace with that and my nervous laughter ceased and I smiled. Five minutes later, the rough air passed and the attendant gave me a complimentary cup o’ wine (I must have looked stress) and life went on. Once I landed, I found out that hubby, who was to be on the flight after mine, was delayed… until today, this evening actually. So yeah, it was one of them days.

We made this cross country trek for him to attend a meeting tomorrow. I invited myself because, (1) it’s LA and it’s like 70 degrees, and (2) it’s Grammy week! Not much of the advanced planner, I haven’t been credentialed for a thing, but I decided to see what I could back door my way into. I also found out that my new friend Sheena of Shoeacidal was in town, so I invited her cute self out to see if we could slide into the Essence Black Women in Music event. Operating on very few hours of sleep and sore from being on cramped planes all day, in 30 minutes, I showered and got dolled up. Folake of StylePantry let me borrow her nanny and after a little pre-partying, Sheena and I were out the door.

Essence Black Women in Music!
We weren’t even in the door good before being bombarded by servers with offerings of delicious appetizers and alcoholic beverages. It was a very posh cocktail party and we recognized a lot of faces–

The Honorable Judge Mathis!

Ledisi!

Leon!!! #5HeartBeats

Eva!
Toccara!
Essence Black Women in Music!

Eve was so amazing. She was so sweet and even more beautiful in person. She performed that night too! Amazing!
My girl Nene!

Essence Black Women in Music!
Everyone was there to celebrate and honor the work of legend Sylvia Rhone and Kelly Rowland. Later in the evening, Kelly blessed us with a dope performance!

Repping #teamcurly

Essence Black Women in Music!

she was whipping it y’all!
Essence Black Women in Music!

Met Rowlegend in the flesh!
Essence Black Women in Music!

She told me I was tiny and had awesome hair that was bigger than me! I of course complimented her hair and she grabbed it and said, ‘I freaking love my hair like this!’ Priceless.

Essence Black Women in Music!

After the carpet cleared out, we jumped the rope! Y’all know I’m crazy. The security guards were bugging up.

Essence Black Women in Music!Essence Black Women in Music!
All in all, it was a truly amazing experience and an excellent end to an otherwise crappy day.

Later Gators,
Nik

p.s. for more pics, check out Essence.com’s gallery!

p.p.s. I got the dress at ASOS, the shoes from Macys (BCBG) and my hair was styled with Original Moxie Lux Locks. I think I’ve found a great dry Twist-n-Curl product! Testing it again today!

i love kelly rowland…i love her hair like that too…that hairstyle is my favorite on her…you look great nikki and your hair is dope

spool…I have to ask…is there any hope of an impromptu LA meetup happening? I missed the last one ๐Ÿ™

• MelMelBee says:

Nik……First, I'm glad you made it safely. Secondly….I DIED LAUGHING reading about the screaming flight attendant…..they need to fire her! LOL!

You looked fantastic….you got the red carpet pose down PAT!!!!! If you see OUR girl NeNe again, tell her Mel from Philly said "SUP"…LOL!

• CURLYNIKKI says:

Thank you ladies!

HOPE you're right…less is more and Nikki proved it looking very fly! I get bashed whenever I comment on the cute natural lady whose style has too much going on at once. One should always have a main standout and it looks more classier and richer…just keeping it real for all the ladies who jumped on my opinion. Sherry

• Whisper29 says:

Thank God you landed safe and sound that was bonkers…you looked great your hair look great the shoes were ..girl you was on point that night.

• AlWell says:

A good friend gave me those shoes for Christmas. ๐Ÿ™‚ Everyone looked fab and I LOVED Kelly's jacket.

• HOPE says:

Dear CurlyNikki, the dress was fierce and the cut seemed tailored for you! Hair was rockin' like wild. I am, again, amazed at your understated fashion restraint that proves less is often more.

• Deliliah Nonar says:

I don't like skinny people, Nikki is my only exception, LOL. Nikki is super fierce and super fly. You are a star among stars my darling and you had every right to be on that red carpet. I am so jelly, and proud of you fierce, beautiful, curly.

• ShoeHOTLINE says:

Thanks for the kind words ladies. This was truly an amazing experience and I'm grateful to Nikki for allowing me to share it with her.

SN: My shoe of the night was Giuseppe Zanotti. I'll be sure to think of you all once I'm over it ๐Ÿ™‚

• mothereartha says:

loving that dress! the cut is fab & i love dresses w/ pockets. plus it's classy with just the right amount of sexy ๐Ÿ™‚ well done. i'm so happy for you and SHEENA!! woot woot..what an awesome surprise. great post…per usual..now if yall come into contact with idris…uhhhh you all need to look out for your girl :p

You fit right in Nikki, GORGEOUS!

• M says:

SOOOOO lucky! You look so fly!!! I'm especially jealous that you got to meet Ledisi ( LOVE her) and Kelly! Work it out! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Werk it Nik!

• Barbara Naturally Speaking says:

I'm so glad that you and baby Gia are safe. God is definitely in control of situations and I'm glad he kept the plane level. By the way, you and your hair looked amazing at the event. The pics of all of the celebrities look amazing as well!

• keisha says:

You are doing the doggone thing!! sorry you had such a rough trip but it was ALL worth it to be in the midst of celebrities and hang out! I would have seriously called in sick or something to hop on a plane with you to experience all of this!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Look forward to the future celeb interview stories!

• hairscapades says:

OMGosh, how did I forget to say, you were out there with my girl Sheena?!?!? She is an absolute doll!! I only "met" her through your blog, but she is sooo sweet and kind!! LOVE that you two got to hang as I know you are her Hair Crush and she adores you and the site:)!! Yea for Sheena!!!

Shelli

• hairscapades says:

Nikki, DANG GIRL!!! Work it!! Your post partum shedding thinning looks to be far GONE!! Your hair is looking HUGE and LUSCIOUS!!! Omgosh!!!! I LOVE it!!! And the dress is frickin' awesome!! Asos is my new guilty pleasure … well, not quite guilty because I haven't bought anything yet. I just keep putting things in my cart, not buying them, going back a week later to find items are gone, adding new items and then starting the cycle all over again!! LOL!!

But that dress is AMAZING on you!! Absolutely STUNNING!! And, you are a little petite thing!! LOL!! I just remember you saying something similar to me!! LOL!! "You're little!" LOL!!

And you had me laughing at the intro!! But, it was only because I obviously knew that you made it okay!! The steward attendant was SCREAMING?!?! OMGoodness, I would have been looking at her like, "Are you frickin' kidding me with this?!?!" LOL!!

Shelli

The shape of your hair is exactly how I want mine! I love that length on you!

You're going to have to change the site from Curly Nikki to Celebrity Nikki. I love your writing style, you tell the best stories! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

These pictures are beautiful! You are my inspiration and I want to be like you when I grow up (even though I'm 35!)!

That dress is awesome!!!!

• Editor says:

Super dope that you ladies got to attend this event! And of course, you are looking fly aas hell!

I had no idea you were so tiny! What you eating girlie, send me some!

OMG! No you didn't pose with my boo Leon! And I used to like you Nik. Love the shoes!

I love living vicariously through you. These pics are crazy, but I'd love to see some of Boogie in Hollywood! Hope everyone is safe, have fun!

• Georgia says:

You got to meet Folake too! I want to see pictures! You looked amazing Nik, loved the hair!

Nikki you look fab! The hair, the dress, the shoes…
    I didn't know Eva "Top Model Winner" Pigford was so tall. For some reason she looked sorta petite on television.

Nikki, I broke my self-imposed two-week fast of CurlyNikki.com. I have been studying for two exams, and completed the last one this afternoon.

This was such a great story! Girl, I'm glad everyone arrived safely! BT/DT with the turbulence, I was so scared one time I thought I was going to have to break out with a hymn, "A Mighty fortress is our God"!

ps. I had no idea you ware so petitie! You were working that dress though! And you got to go to Folake's crib too? Shut.up!

Thetruthisoutthere

You betta werk BISH! Love it!

That's why I love you Nikki! You always share your blessings. How cool is it that you let another blogger come along! I'm so proud of you and you both represented us well on that red/black carpet. Hair and your little black dresses were on point.

• Rhonda C says:

*YOU mingled with the best of them* – (#gettingridofmyDroidkeyboard)

• Rhonda C says:

First, so glad that you landed safely. I've experienced turbulence on many flights and have white-knucked it across the county every time I board a plane; even the international ones. No bueno!

BUT, I see you got your reward! I mingled with the best of them and looked like the best of them, too! Love the dress and the 'doo!

Keep it going!

so glad you landed safely and yes God is in control..God Bless you and your family on your return flight…Enjoy your stay in LA
    Tamara

• JazzyCoils says:

Hello all, check out this article on the latimes website http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2012/02/viola.html. Two time oscar nominee Viola Davis is #teamnatural. Nikki, it's time to get her on the couch!!

I'm too through with you girl! Love that dress and your hair was big! What you talking about with all this fine hair talk?

• TiAnna Mae says:

You have a beautiful life, Nikki, and you are living it to the fullest! You go girl! Praying today is even better for you!

• PhenomenallyMe says:

You lucky lady!!! Look at you mingling with the stars!!! What an amazing experience and you looked fab as usual! I love that dress!!!!!! Send it to me when you get sick on it! I am in the Tarheel state (better yet, when you have (if you have) your next meet and greet in the RTP, bring it on down!!!!

Nikki you have a lot of nerve girl I guess you spoiled us because I was looking and looking and looking for pictures of my Boogie Woogie and didn't see a one, I mean not a one.

Anyway baby girl you and your girls looked gorgeous, I love your dress, hair, shoes, makeup very put together and just gorgeous. Glad to see you are having fun it's wonderful to see, doesn't it feel nice to see that just as many people recognize you, that says a lot about you and the service you've provided for this community.

I looking for my baby and she is with a nanny and no pictures not a one. Gia, Gia, Gia, Gia I bet she gave you one of those faces like what the what you going where and leaving me with who, a nanny who and what is that. Trying to do some of your storytelling glad you had a wonderful evening.

• Tiffany says:

Ok Curly Nikki Starpower, Love EVE, can't wait for another movie, single, something!

• CURLYNIKKI says:

thanks ladies!!!

@MrsDjRass, yes! Sheena is great! Check her blog soon for her coverage. She was on it… recognized a bunch of faces that I didn't, lol. We were beasting up in there!

@kudos, get it! I wanted it in yellow but they're out of my size.

@K'sh, let me know what you think!!! I love it so far!

thanks again ladies! I wish y'all could've all been there with… we would've shut it down!

• Onebyd42 says:

See Nikki this is why I do NOT do airplanes, been in turbulence so bad that I refused to get back on the plane and ended up driving back home from Atlanta to CT o_O

You looked absolutely STUNNING!!

• Kudos says:

Besides Gia cracking up at allyah, my FAVORITE part was this,
    "We arrived on the red carpet, which was actually black and were greeted by the check-in girls, who were NATURAL! They also happened to be CurlyNikki readers, so yeah, we skated right on in. Boo to the yah."!!!

YES! BOO TO THE YAH!!
    SN: I been eyeing that dress in red ๐Ÿ˜‰

• K'sh says:

Glad you had a blast and I ordered some samples of the Original Moxie Lux Locks and I'll have to send some pics of the before and afters!

I love that you invited another blogger. You're awesome. Turbulence… Not awesome.
    —MrsDjRass

Really not a fan of the turbulence too. I found that when I suspend my feet off the plane floor I feel it less. Anyway, glad that that too passed.

Love them hair, shoes, and the little black dress. You both represented well.

YES! You wore a dress! You're so petite and gorgeous!

Beautiful dress and hair. I'm going to check out the Moxie products. I keep hearing about them!

• CURLYNIKKI says:

OMGosh K.D., I can't even describe how panicked I was… especially since the attendant lost her cool. It was bizarre. I was really scared and then really calm and then it stopped. Worse turbulence ever.

• Kenya says:

And I have to mention that I went through turbulence like this when I flew to Atlanta last weekend. I had my head down the whole we were going thru it! I've never been that scared in my life.

• CURLYNIKKI says:

Thank you guys!

It was a crazy night and I was so tired that I could barely move today. I'm just snuggling with Boogy this morning debating on whether or not to even venture out doors, lol.

And yes, I wore a dress! Y'all know i HATE my skinny legs. It wasn't a short dress… you can't even see knee caps, lol. Baby steps.

• Kenya says:

Yayy Nikki! You wore a skirt! You look soooo cute!

-K.D.

• naturaldo says:

Nikki,

thanks for sharing with us "the life and times of curlynikki volume…" wait what volume is this?? LOL you look great and glad you made it safely!

• Jilllian says:

THAT. DRESS. You just sold another one!

so jealous of you Nikki!! you rocked it! Congrats on the fabulous time you had and the awesome pics. Do it, girl!

Jazzy

You look gorgeous Nikki! You hair is on point and that dress is to die for!!!!!!!!

• BlondeByDesire says:

WOW, Nik – you are really doing it up! BIG TIME! You met some great people … WooHoo!

The dress and shoes were on point.

You are living the Curly Life…

• Syl says:

That's awesome, Nik! You look like you fit right in. Have an awesome time! Next time, I may just have to tag along. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Love you!!

<3 Kelly Rowland, but that's a weave lol Who is she foolin'?

Shut your mouth girl! You met LEON! *swoons*

• GGmadeit says:

FAB U LOUS AS USUAL! Do it to the max lady!

• monniej says:

you ladies looks amazing! hair definitely on point! and let miss sheena know i'ma need those shoes after she's done! lol~ you ladies did us proud!

Sheena's shoes are cute! Yall both look great and like it was a fun night

• Nicole says:

You Go Nikki, Kelly Rowland and Eve are so pretty to me!

That dress is HAUTE! That is all.

• DrChuck24 says:

oooo I shudder everytime I think about turbulence. But glad you landed well and you guys look FAB at the event!

• BreatheFashion3c says:

Nikki! Are you kidding me?! You looked amazing! And must I mention, celeb status fits you perfectly! Is it just me CN fans, or do you feel liberated when you see Nikki doing it big? Its like you are there representing all of us! #TEAMCURLY

• Maya says:

Wow! Toccara looks amazing! CN your cut is so nice on you!

Hilarious post and so true. Jesus was flying your plane girl!

Love the hair and that dress. Must have it in my life!

Nikki,

girlllllllllllllllll you had me on the floor crying in tears about that flight and attendant! as a person who flies often its nothing like bad turbulence and you look to see if the attendants are cool (ok theyre cool i wont trip) but when they are tripping im like oh no God please dont let this plane fall!

Glad you all made it safely…hair was the BUSINESS

I've been in scary, terrible turbelence like you mentioned and it can be very unnerving. Glad you landed safely!

Just stop it Nikki! You rocked that carpet girl! Im so jealous!

Girl!!! What a day…in the end, you still looked gorgeous!

• Pecancurls says:

Nik,

Glad you and G made it safe and sound. Moments like that make you appreciate life and not sweat the small -ish.

On to hair and fashion and celebs… You looked fab! Hair on point as always. Love the volume!! Work that dress hun!!

All the ladies look great! Girl, you fit right in there with all the celebrities. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can I sneak into your luggage next time. LOL!!

• Tonya says:

That dress is everything! Can you mail it to me when you're done?!

Fab hair dress and shoes! You killed it! LOL at you two on the red carpet after everyone left! I would've done the same thing!

Nikki, you are doing it girl! How fab is that that you got to attend the event with all the celebs?!?!?! You go girl:-)

Natural83

• HolisticHoney says:

Nice pics. You are working that dress girl!

Perfect look. I'm buying that dress!

• Mrs. G says:

Love it!!!!

• ChysCurlz says:

So CUTE! I love the shoes with the black dress and of course, your haircut looks amazing!

OMG Nikki! You look stunning!

• Bee says:

Dope!!! I love how you just showed up and showed out in LA! Go 'head girl!

Good message about the turbulence/lack of control…I've come to that same realization a time or two before…glad you landed safely!

You look gorgeous, Nikki! Your hair looks beautiful. I didn't realize how tiny you are. I have to ask, are you one of those women who is naturally thin, or do you have to work hard at it?