Over the years I have noticed major changes in my hair since I started mostly conditioner washing (co-washing). I love a little shampoo now and again but co-washing is where it’s at!
Some may think of washing without shampoo as gross, or as a less effective (or ineffective) way of cleansing the hair. Not true! Co-washing is a great option for gently cleansing your natural hair. You can use conditioner to cleanse your scalp and strands and get awesome results (assuming you use CG friendly styling products). Although many shampoos today are straying away from harsh ingredients such as sulfates, many still contain harsh ingredients. They will strip your hair and leave it feeling icky, stiff and hard to detangle. So co-washing has its benefits:
1. It reduces knots and tangles
2. It helps moisturize and nourish your hair (great if you are a transitioner)
3. Great for hydrating and fortifying your scalp and hair
I know co-washing is not for everyone, but give it a try if you are not getting the results that you would like with shampooing. It’s nice to be able to co- wash if you want to do a different style in between washing. I recently started co-washing my little one’s hair and I have noticed a major difference in the appearance of her hair. It’s shiny and very moisturized. I have also noticed with my hair that it isn’t dull like it previously was before I began mainly co-washing. It now has brilliant shine and the moisture is on “fleek” LOL!
Here are some good conditioners for co washing:
1. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (old school, LOL!)
2. TREsemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
3. As I am Coconut cleansing Co-Wash
4. Edenbodyworks Coconut Cowash
5. Mielle Organics Dew Berry Co-wash (I use this one on my little one)