|Photo Credit: Taren Guy|
by Mary Wolff
Nature has given naturalistas a lot of natural remedies to soothe, revive, and bolster our curls. One of the best nature has to offer is the healing peppermint plant. There are many benefits of peppermint oil that make it worthy of adding to your hair care routine.
- One of the best benefits of peppermint oil is that it is antiseptic and antifungal. It can be used to clarify a scalp that is struggling with an overabundance of bacteria and fungus to leave it clean, healthy, and happy!
- It’s a natural way to fight dandruff. It can help remove dead skin cells, remove underlying fungus of dandruff, and help eliminate the itchiness of this scalp issue.
- Peppermint oil also helps to balance out the pH of the scalp. When the pH of the scalp is out of whack, it can lead to a host of unpleasant situations, as well as making the scalp unable to create new growth.
- While you may not think of an oil as being beneficial for dealing with an oily scalp, peppermint oil is great for helping with this issue. When you have an overproduction of natural oil, it is often from the pH being affected. Since peppermint oil helps with this, it can also help balance out oil production.
- It is also great for hair growth! Peppermint is a naturally stimulating oil that will improve circulation when massaged into the scalp. It can help improve circulation needed to promote new growth. It also helps with maintaining the strength of the follicle at the root level to help retain hair for those dealing with hair loss.
How To Use It
Since peppermint oil is safe for contact with skin, you can simply massage a few drops into your scalp in a circular motion. Keep in mind, it is a concentrated oil and is strong so you may want to dilute it with a few drops of water if your skin is sensitive. You can also add it to other treatments to create a multi-purpose hair treatment. Peppermint oil is a great carrier oil meaning it will blend well with oils such as jojoba oil, almond oil, basil oil, and more.
When you need a little boost, the cooling healing powers of peppermint may just be the thing! Try it for yourself and reap these great benefits for your overall scalp and hair health.