by Mary Wolff
We should all know by now that great hair is a combination of what you put on the inside and what you do on the outside. The relationship between diet and hair care habits is one you need to master to get the best results. One of best ways to get the nutrition you need, and care for hair externally, is with chia seeds! A curly favorite for quite some time now, chia seeds and natural hair have a long history and for a good reason.
Why Chia Seeds?
It isn’t hard to understand why chia seeds and natural hair health go together. Chia seeds are rich in all sorts of nutrients needed to keep hair healthy from the inside out. They also offer overall health benefits that make them worth adding to your life! Here are just a few.
- Chia seeds have high levels of phosphorous which can help with hair growth. They also have l-lysine which helps hair growth, as well as strength.
- Chia seeds can help you feel fuller longer because of a high fiber level.
- They are high in omega 3 fatty acid complexes to improve brain function. According to authoritynutrition.com, chia seeds contain more Omega-3’s than salmon, gram for gram.
- Chia seeds are high in calcium. In fact, authoritynutrition.com reports that chia seeds have higher levels of calcium than the majority of dairy products. Calcium helps keep your bones and teeth from becoming brittle. They are a great alternative if you are trying to cut back on dairy without sacrificing this essential nutrient your body needs.
- With 9 different types of amino acids, fatty acids, and high levels of proteins, chia seeds can help with hair growth, as well as hair strength, while keeping your body healthy.
There are many ways to add chia seeds to your diet. You can top your yogurt, oatmeal, or fruit with chia seeds. You can add it to salads and smoothies. Chia seeds are relatively easy to add to your diet since they work well with a variety of flavors and foods.
While you will get tons of benefits from eating chia seeds, you can also apply it directly to hair. One of the best ways to do so is by using a DIY hair mask.
- 6 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup of organic honey
- 1 Tbsp of chia seeds
Combine ingredients in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir to evenly blend ingredients. Make sure you let it cool to safe levels before applying to hair. Apply to strands and scalp. Wait 5 minutes, then rinse out of hair.